Light cheap accurate rifle

Don’t keep targets. I really don’t care if you believe me or not. I use solid rings, degrease every part of the scope rings and base, torque to spec, and lock tight. When I quit shooting leupolds the issue went away. This wasn’t just one scope and it wasn’t just falls. This was over a winter of coyote calling or a hunting season with gun just riding in the pickup. It’s not just leupold there’s lots of scopes this is a problem with. Why do you think every year people need to “check zero” before season or when they get to their hunting area after driving across country? Im not taking about feet of movement from just bouncing around but an inch or two for sure. Most wouldn’t notice that and would still kill a deer at 300 yards but when you pay that kind of money they shouldn’t do that.

This was literally an issue on one of Randy’s shows to that Bo guy on a Montana elk hunt. He fell and the leupold was off like 6’. Steve Rinelli had the same isssue with a Vortex on one of his shows.

I’m not sure why you think I’m making this up. I use to be a huge leupold fan boy. For a straight up hunting scope they would be my pick everytime if they were reliable.
Just curious your thoughts and I’ll get off this post; is it ethical to not “check zero” before every season and diligent before/after a big hunt? I check every year for peace of mind, never have to change a thing. Have taken some big falls and no poi shift, but still check. Sounds like the archery guy who doesn’t pick up his bow until a couple days before the season. Buy a nightforce and you don’t have to practice, just line em up at 900 and you’re good to go! Haha

Buy a nightforce and you don’t have to practice, just line em up at 900 and you’re good to go! Haha

Who said any of that? Why does having a nightforce make you think that person shoots long range and doesn’t practice? You do know nightforce makes capped windage and elevation scopes with regular duplex reticles right? Maybe they wanted a known reliable scope that doesn’t shift poi which should be what every scope manufacture strives for. But hey at least your beloved leupold has a phenomenal warranty. I’ll quit picking on you leupold groupies. You don’t seem to take it very well

Just curious your thoughts and I’ll get off this post; is it ethical to not “check zero” before every season and diligent before/after a big hunt? I check every year for peace of mind, never have to change a thing. Have taken some big falls and no poi shift, but still check. Sounds like the archery guy who doesn’t pick up his bow until a couple days before the season. Buy a nightforce and you don’t have to practice, just line em up at 900 and you’re good to go! Haha

I think in general it's a good practice to get a few rounds down a rifle each year before using it hunting regardless of scope mfr for a number of reasons beyond just zero check. Especially for folks who don't shoot much. Checking zero again after travel is another thing.

Maybe they wanted a known reliable scope that doesn’t shift poi which should be what every scope manufacture strives for.
I would happily buy a NF but I wouldn't put it on a light and cheep rifle. I think the push back is that a leupold is a great choice for a lightweight cheep gun.

I would happily buy a NF but I wouldn't put it on a light and cheep rifle. I think the push back is that a leupold is a great choice for a lightweight cheep gun.

That’s terrible logic. Light rifle=more recoil which means more jarring to the scope. I don’t care how much a rifle costs as long as it’s accurate. Tough to be accurate if you have issues with zero wandering.

I’ll quit ranting about scope quality

That’s terrible logic. Light rifle=more recoil which means more jarring to the scope. I don’t care how much a rifle costs as long as it’s accurate. Tough to be accurate if you have issues with zero wandering.

I’ll quit ranting about scope quality
You can have your opinion its ok if I disagree. I want a light scope on a lightweight rifle swfa and NF are not lightweight. I also don't want $2500 scope on a $500 rifle.
Old friction adjust vxII has been on a 7# 300 win mag for over 20 years I have adjusted zero twice. Once when a scope mount failed (leupold 2 pice) and then when I switched from 190 burgers to 168ttsx 14 years ago. I have shot the barrel out of that gun the dam zero was never a problem. My new lightweight 300wsm has a vx5 on it I haven't had any problems with it. I will say that a click is slightly more than a .25moa but It has been repeatable.
If I dont have luck with the leupold then I'd probably give the swaro z3 a try for a light rifle.
I like accurate rifles but I bet a lot of B&C animals were take with Tasco tubes and 2moa rifles.

Last edited:
ya know checking zero every year is not something I did much of. Seems hunting season started about the time target shooting ended and then target season started again about the time hunting season ended. That was a long time ago and I shot a lot more than now. have a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield on my 30-06. Been on it a long time now and for awhile I would go out and shoot target's with it now and then. But, trying to remember and can't think of the last time I had to adjust that scope. Before that the scope was on my old Rem 660 308. Seems I took it off a 338 I had, zeroed it and never fooled with it again unless I'd swap bullets! I do go out and shoot before each season but I do it simply trying to straighten out myself again. Only scope I ever had that I had to send back was one new Redfield 4 1/2-14x and years ago a Denver Redfield 4x that fell out of a rifle rack in a jeep and broke a cross wire! Oh, come to think of it I had my 25-06 destroy an old Tasco 3-9x, it was that inexpensive one, not the $89 one!

Thinking about that old Denver Redfield. Seems I got it new about 1970 to put on a 338 mag. Got rid of the 338 and got the 660 Rem but kept the scope! They don't make them like the old Denver Redfields anymore but pretty close to just as good! Pretty good statement from a real Redfield fan!

All you guys talking about how good your old scope is , what do you call good shooting ? Hitting a paper plate at 100 yards ?
Yes off hand after running up a mountain to get a shot. Bang dead animal!
Do we really need to post targets in a D measurement contest. Kinda weird. I have pictures of great groups but I'm sure the op could care less.

Yes off hand after running up a mountain to get a shot. Bang dead animal!
Do we really need to post targets in a D measurement contest. Kinda weird. I have pictures of great groups but I'm sure the op could care less.
Wow , aren't you a little touchy . The point I was trying to make is people have different expectations of what is acceptable shooting . If you're happy with hitting the paper plate at 100 yards , I hope that's your extreme limit for trying to kill a animal .

Gettin' deep in here.
businessman-picking-up-droppings-shovel-outdoors-34429940.jpg

Wow , aren't you a little touchy . The point I was trying to make is people have different expectations of what is acceptable shooting . If you're happy with hitting the paper plate at 100 yards , I hope that's your extreme limit for trying to kill a animal .
No not touchy at all.
What you actually did is ask a reasonable question then gave a presumptuous answer that implied low standards.

Well yeah , mister state the obvious . LOL , again , my point is , some people are happy just to hit the target , while others want their holes touching .
My standards ar sub moa at whatever distance I intend to hunt.
I'm sorry but if this isn't one of the regulars trolling I'll be surprised.
He has a cross gun laying over a spike as his picture. Hi Greenhorn! Lol... Did you just type lol? This turd just loled me ❤️ 💙 💜
Hey whisper snapper what scope you "running" on your bow?

My standards ar sub moa at whatever distance I intend to hunt.
I'm sorry but if this isn't one of the regulars trolling I'll be surprised.
He has a cross gun laying over a spike as his picture. Hi Greenhorn! Lol... Did you just type lol? This turd just loled me ❤️ 💙 💜
Hey whisper snapper what scope you "running" on your bow
So you are touchy . I wasn't referring to you , but if the shoe fits you know ?
And then you resort to calling names and personal attacks , and make fun of a disability , how mature .
Go #*^@#* yourself , dickhead .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back