Lifetime Licences - Idaho

Selkirk

I'm thinking of getting an Idaho lifetime license for my youngest son (infant). With the overall economic uncertainty, inflation, etc, is this a good choice?

Personally, I don't hear much about the program (good or bad). With my limited knowledge I believe it's a good investment. For an infant (<2) it would cost:
- hunt/fish combo = $795.50
- fishing only = $601.75
- hunting only = $276.75

Here's a link to the fee structure in Idaho http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/lifetimeCertificates/.

Anyway, I would appreciate some thoughts on this topic and although this is specific to ID, I think it can be related to other states.

I guess it depends on what that license will cover. I bought one years ago here in Indiana for $500 and then added the lifetime fishing for $250 a few years later. I hunt everything here, so, it paid itself off in a few short years for me. The only thing I pay for is a Migratory bird stamp (federal). It was a huge hit here in Indiana, but, it may have been too good of a deal because I believe they are no longer available. If it covers any of your big game, I'd say buy it now. . .before they are gone. just my 2 cents.

I don't know much about it, but I think chances are it would easily pay off eventually. If it were me and I had the cash on hand I'd do it, I wish I'd have had the chance to buy such a thing when I lived in Iowa, so I could always go back and hunt with my family, although I guess I'm not sure if that's the way it works.

I really wish I would have bought one when I was younger. I did purchase one before I moved out of Idaho and it has paid for itself many times over. I would have to buy a $150 license to even apply for a limited quota hunt. Now I just apply and save that $150.
As a non-res lifetime license holder I go in the pool with Resident applicants (typically better draw odds since Idaho doesn't guarantee Non-Res any tags). I do have to pay non-res fees for deer/elk/bear tags, which is do-able without the $150 tacked on the top for licenses.

If you hunt and plan on taking your kid at all, I'd say it's a good investment. If you leave him home on the couch, you can decide.

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

I bought one right before I moved out of state, and it did pay for itself. As stated above, as a lifetime license holder you are not included in a quota for limited tags like non residents are, so tags are easier to get. I have since moved back to idaho and do not have to buy a hunting license at all, they just send me a new one every December for the new year.

question.

I have since moved back to idaho and do not have to buy a hunting license at all, they just send me a new one every December for the new year.

does the lifetime license cover the need for an archery permit or is that separate and needs to be bought each year?

I'm not sure about the archer permit...

I also bought the lifetime license before moving from Idaho. I am kicking myself for not getting the lifetime fishing license along with it. I've already paid for mine hunting in Idaho for 4 years as a nonresident. As mentioned above you do have to buy nonresident tags which are spendy. I think it would be a great investment for your kiddo...only problem is there might be nothing left to hunt but wolves by the time he's old enough to hunt ;)

Excellent gift idea. My parents bought me one for OK when I was a kid and now I can go hunt/fish whenever I want without buying a tag except for Bear. I wish I had moved to Kansas for a year after college just to buy one as a resident as well instead of drawing $500 whitetail tags as a NR.

With no permits included is loses it's luster somewhat though. Tough call.

Like everyone said, doesn't cover his tags. On the other hand, buying it young does make sense on the applying for out of state tags, in the long run. I still have one for oklahoma that I bought a long time ago, next to a divorce lawyer, it's the best money I ever spent.

I got one before we moved from Salmon to Montana. Only regret is not getting the fishing with it. I bought one the first year they came out. 1988 I think. I say go for it.

I bought lifetime hunting licenses for myself and my two toddlers in 2001 before moving out of state. Very good choice IMO.

The primary advantage is that it put's me (a nonresident) in the resident pool for controlled hunts. I'll gladly pay the nonresident fees for sheep, goat and moose, thankyou.

Last year was the first year my two boys used it. 3 generations deer hunting in our own private Idaho was the best hunt of the year, even though it was a general season hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back