NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Life's advice and phrases....

"What you do today is important. You are trading a day in the rest of your life for it". - Don't remember where that came from

And a Aldo Leopold quote (and I might butcher it a little, but it is close):

"There are two inherent dangers in not owning a farm. The first is the supposition that breakfast come from the grocery and the second is that heat comes from the furnace."

My grandmother was a force in my life. She was a christian lady, and a strong lady. She liked Helen Keller and used her quote more than once when speaking to me

'I cried because I had no shoes until I met the man who had no feet"

She also quoted scripture a lot and I hope it is acceptable for me to do so here:

" And now these three remain. Faith-hope-love
But the greatest of these is love"
Cor 13:13

According to my recollection and family lore my paternal grandmother never swore...ever. Her nearest exclamation was, "Well I swanny!" If she became rarely perturbed at a gossipy neighbor she would mutter, "that ol thang".

She also had a colorful biological euphemism regarding eating too much cheese. I smile every time I think of her advising me to take it easy on the longhorn red rind hard cheese cautioning "lockbowels".

Loudest singer in the pitch pipe only Church of Christ pews (off key with me proudly sitting beside her)

.. sweetest human I ever met. God only made one Lizzie.

These are on the credenza next to my desk.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

"Almost everything in life is easier to get into, then to get out of." Agnes' law

"Statistics are like Bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." Aaron Levenstein

"Mistakes are part of the dues that one pays for a full life." Sophia Loren

For all of the hunters:

"No amount of advance planning will ever replace dumb luck." annonymous

Last edited:
And finally:

My favorite and one I often recite for all of the cranky pants people I run across during the course of a day.

"In the long run, the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip." David Reardon

"Pessimists are seldom disappointed"
-- Mark Twain

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"
-- somebody on HuntTalk

"If you always do what you always done, then you always get what you always got"
-- Randy Newburg (I think Henry Ford originally)

"Amateurs talk tactics. Professionals talk logistics." One of hundreds of Army class instructors
"The most powerful weapon a soldier can carry is a radio." ditto
"Managing people is easy. Just don't f*k with their food, money, or time." ditto
"Above all else, take care of your soldiers." My first PSG upon his retirement

"You guys are good infidels." One of my favorite interpreters in Astan

"If you take care of the pennies, the dollars take care of themselves." Old boss

"You live forever through the lives you touch." Mom

"Go with your gut." Many smart folks, I use it all the time, generally on people I like over age 20.

"If you'd take the shot with one, but not the other, you probably shouldn't shoot with either." Me, when involved in one of the countless hair-splitting conversations about ballistically similar cartridges.

"A dead elk is a dead elk." Also me, when people start dissecting their situation, shot(s) placement, coulda shoulda wouldas after dropping an elk.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might." Probably my favorite scripture, from Ecclesiastes.

Harley's post on his paternal grandmother got me to thinking about mine. The last 15 years of "Bunka's" life was spent living with the effects of a major stroke. That being said I think she lived a rich life during those years, and she had some difficult years prior to it. One thing she would always say when she was happy and talkative was "Charlotte's eyes said this" or " Charlotte's eyes said that". On occasion I would answer the phone and get blasted with " beer Goddamn't!" She got to drink one beer a night with dinner, and apparently she was out of beer!

God only made one Bunka as well!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back