Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Leveling Kit on 2020 Silverado

badkarma6

Recently picked up a gently used 2020 Chevy Silverado. It came with the 20" rims and I am considering installing a 2" leveling kit to raise the front end. Additionally, I would replace the existing tires, 275/60R20 with some 285/60R20 all terrain tires. I'm leaning towards the Toyo AT III tires. I live in Northern Virginia so it will get a lot of street use. During the upcoming hunting season, there will be a lot of off road use but not for extended distances. Questions:

1. Should I do the leveling kit? Anyone have experience with how the truck will ride after installation as compared to stock?
  2. I could probably fit some 295 tires on the truck with the leveling kit but damn, they are expensive. Any benefit other than it would look good?

1. Should I do the leveling kit? Anyone have experience with how the truck will ride after installation as compared to stock?
  2. I could probably fit some 295 tires on the truck with the leveling kit but damn, they are expensive. Any benefit other than it would look good?
It depends on how you level the truck. If you do spacers, you will diminish the ride quality. A 1" spacer should give you 2" of lift in the front. Be aware of the fact you can run into issues if you use spacers for lift. Basically, you can break a shock if you are using stock shocks and lift the front very much. 2" might be fine. More than that and you're asking for trouble. The best way to do it is to buy new struts and springs, although you can also buy struts with an adjustable spring perch and use the stock springs. It's probably worth doing some research on a Chevy forum to make sure your control arms are compatible with this. With Toyota Tundras, once you get past 2.5" of lift in the front you are getting very close to needing new upper control arms.

As for tires, wider tires give you more flotation on sand and soft snow, but also reduce your ability to cut through mud and snow to get to traction underneath. The right answer depends on your application. If you're trying to churn through deep snow and powder, you're better served with a tall skinny tire you can chain up. If you're trying to stay on top of snow, sand, etc, you're better off with a wider tire you can air down. Just because they fit in the wheel well doesn't mean they won't rub as you get close to wheel lock. You might have to do some trimming for a true fit. Taller tires give you more ground clearance, but also alter your effective rear end gear ratio as well. Again, consider your application and go from there.

As an aside, if you plan on driving much in dusty/sandy conditions, you'll be well served to find a rubber cap that will fit on the filler neck of your gas tank. The capless design has serious issues for vehicles that spend much time on gravel and/or two tracks, and you'll end up dropping a grand on a new fuel pump way sooner than you should.

If you level the front end, beware your rear-end will sag on acceleration and under a load. If you dont like saggy rearends (I know I don't!), I suggest a mod to the rear whether it be a block, air bags, or an extra leaf. Personally, on my trucks I don't mind the factory rake where the rear is a tad higher, I just want a higher ride all around.

Also, as noted above, not all leveling kits are created equal. Most kits will stress other components so considering upgrading all of those to avoid problems down the road.

Keep in mind you can install the Trailboss suspension on some Silverados. This would also be covered by whatever remaining warranty u have. You'd have to check and make sure ur truck is eligible.

I've had leveling kit on my Sierra (the kind that mounts under the strut) and it was definitely a little rough. Switched to the bilstein 5100 level and it's better but still stiff. Oh well doesnt bother me much.

I wouldn't go over the stock size. That's a 33x10.8 tire which is pretty good. But 285/60/20 is 33.5x11.2. Not much difference but probably a lot more expensive. Chevy doesnt want u running chains either way with those sizes.

As an aside, if you plan on driving much in dusty/sandy conditions, you'll be well served to find a rubber cap that will fit on the filler neck of your gas tank. The capless design has serious issues for vehicles that spend much time on gravel and/or two tracks, and you'll end up dropping a grand on a new fuel pump way sooner than you should.

Interesting. I wonder how long I have until I’m doing a fuel pump in my work truck

I did Dmax store's Kryptonite front A-arm lift and tie rods but it's a 2500. It gave me a 2.5 inches in the front with increased travel. My angles are still well within spec. 70k on it with no problems. I also have 20's with nearly 35" tires and no issues.

. Be aware of the fact you can run into issues if you use spacers for lift. Basically, you can break a shock if you are using stock shocks and lift the front very much.
And, a birdy told me, you can also bend your sway bar links into the shape of a C After hitting a few holes if you just do spacer plates. Maybe twice.

Also, as noted above, not all leveling kits are created equal. Most kits will stress other components so considering upgrading all of those to avoid problems down the road.
I didn’t do this when I added just the Bilstein RHA shocks and add-a-leaf to my Tundra. I did it (UCA’s, tie rods, springs and a new pair of shocks) about 18 months later when everything else in the front end lost the battle.

Chevy low riders definitely need some suspension help. I've run a couple leveling kits with no issues and good ride quality. Upgrade the shocks if you don't like it after a few months.

Good advice here but I'll add that you might get a better ride by going down to a 17 or 18" wheel and running bigger tires. Basically smaller rim bigger tire.

I did a level on my last truck and it absolutely hurt the towing capability. Sagged pretty bad when towing a camper, even with airbag helpers.
I opted for the Trail Boss lift on my 2020 RST, along with 285 70R 18 tires. Dealer installed for under 1400.00 for me. And it adds extension to the front end components safely, under warranty. I dislike the rake on trucks, but it is there for a reason.
20200718_213541.jpg

Whatever you decide, I'd most definitely call a few different shops and visit with them. If you want increased wheel travel, you are limited in how to achieve that and it'll costs you $$. If you just want window dressing, you can do it cheaper.

JLS,
Do you have a recommendation for a cap for a 2016 f150? Thought I would ask before I go down the rabbit hole looking for one.😁

thanks
If you can find one, I'm a big fan of buying one used simply because of economics. When I was Tundra shopping I found two toppers that were brand new, about 40% off new price. I bought my last two used and my current one came with the truck. This is my second SnugTop. The previous one leaked rather badly around a window, but this one seems to be very watertight. The only drawback to not buying new is I'd like the swing out side window(s), but I may look at adding one next year. My current one has sliders on the sides. The one before had the wing window in the back, which I really didn't like.

Swing out > Slider > Wing Window IMO.

My brother has an A.R.E. and really likes it. They were spoken well of in a recent topper thread on here.

You would be amazed at how much dust will accumulate under the fuel door. These caps are cheap insurance.

0106201349-01.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back