Leupold scopes love or hate em?

Leupolds are great if you like to check and adjust your zero. I have 8 of them I think. I will back my trash talk up with a challenge. I will set up a 12 inch target at 400 yards. We will “tip” our guns off bipods at progressively higher heights. I will use my 6 creed with my nightforce. Whoever else can use wtf ever they want with a leupold. First one to miss will get kicked in the nuts. Better wear your cup

I bought a used 300 win mag that came with a leupold VX 3L, 50mm objective with the crescent cut out of bottom so it sits lower on gun. Been good so far; success between 100-400 yards. One missed animal due to dropping it and not realized zero was off, will not make that mistake again. Guess I’m saying only operator error has been an issue.

Brilliant idea, however tried to buys another it seems they don’t make anymore. Possibly difficult and more expensive manufacturing and hard To keep Them sealed? I’ve not had fogging issues other than what one would expect

Hope this helps you

Vari-x II 3-9: held zero fine, still have it, though on a rimfire now

VX-2 with M1 Turret: did not track or hold zero reliably on a 7mag

VX-3 3.5-10 with M1 Turret: held zero fine but did not track correctly. The adjustments were consistent, but dialing 2 MOA was not 2MOA in adjustment

FX-II 6x36: LR dots, held zero well

FX-3 6x42: M1 Turret, same issue as the VX-3 with tracking, held zero well

Take it for what it is YMMV. I got rid of all but the one on my 17, but obviously they work great for some folks.

I have had other scopes take big hits and hold zero, and track perfectly every time. I don’t hate Leupold, but I’ll likely never buy another.

Edited to add: If I inherited a nice wood stocked rifle I would consider another Leupold fixed 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over many years of gun horse trading I've owned a few dozen Leupold scopes, many well used.

Leupold has an excellent repair policy. Or so I hear, because I've never had to use it because none of the scopes ever had a problem.

My opinion isn’t worth much, however I have some experience with them. I trust the older model Leupolds more than the newer ones. I don’t dial with the Leupolds I have, which are 3.5-10x40 VX3s and now an FXII 6x36. For the way I typically like to hunt, which is shots under 400 yards, I like the ones I have and they hold zero well for my purposes (I do not pound tent stakes with them).

I know they are not the equivalent of a Nightforce ATACR for durability or tracking, but I also wouldn’t put an ATACR on my old .270 for the type of hunting I do with it. The last 3 scopes I have purchased were a Trijicon Credo, a Zeiss Conquest V4, and a used Leupold 6x36.

Just had to send a VX3HD back because the vertical dial wouldn't move. Scope was brand new.

First trouble I have ever had with one. They repaired it and got it back to me super-fast though. Works fine now.

In 1990 I put a Tasco World Class on my brand new Ruger M77 MkII 308. Cost me a buck, so I splurged, without 2 nickels to rub together, and bought a Leupold Vari-X II in 1991. The scope has been great and is still in service on another rifle. A few years ago, when I moved it to another rifle, the windage dial wouldn't move, so I sent it back and they cleaned it up and got it working again good as new. I also have a slightly newer VX-II that has been very reliable. Recently I purchased a VX3HD 3.5-10x50. Similar to Mallardsx2 above, I ran out of windage. Mounted it on 2 different guns with different rings with same result. Talked to Leupold and they said I could use windage adjustable rings (which I had- Burris Signature Zee) or I could send it back for them look at and/or fix. I sent it off in early January, got an email a week or so later saying it would take 5 weeks and haven't heard back since. I would say I generally have had good experiences with Leupold, just want this most recent issue resolved. I also have a Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro, and Trijicon Credo.

I have a couple of dozen Leupolds and have used the brand for decades. I haven't bought a new one since the VX3i came out. I picked a 3.5-10x up and was not impressed. I really like the older VX3, VXIII, VXII, and Mark4. Their new higher end scopes are too expensive, leaving me looking at options like Zeiss and Night Force, and their cheaper scopes just aren't impressive.

I've used their warranty service twice, for issues that did not effect the scopes zero or ability to shoot, and found it excellent.

My 2 Leupold vx-3 scopes have worked great on my old Ruger M77 30.06 and my old Ruger #1 300WM. They have been mounted on those rifles for 30+ years. 300 yards is about my max shooting distance.
No complaints here.

I have had good luck with the Leupolds I own. I do not use them much for longer range shooting, so I wouldn't say I have really tested their repeatability beyond doing occasional box tests.

That said, I would say that the features of their product lines are migrating away from what I value. Based on my hunting style, shooting habits, and how I have been conditioned over 20+ years of hard use of optics on my issued M4; for my needs I would rather K.I.S.S and not have exposed turrets. At this point every Leupold at the VX3 level or above have CDS. I would really like to get my hands on a 2.5-8 VX3, but at this point I need to try and find a used one as I don't want a CDS.

I know some don't like them, but I have fired countless rounds using a stadia type reticle, and for me this is far more useful for my type of hunting. Leupold seems to be reducing the availability of these.

So at the end of the day, I think all companies produce the occasional lemon, but what is making buying a leupold harder for me is their scopes just don't match my preferences....

Never had issues with my leupold vx5s. I prefer Leupold personally.
Have also had to return a vortex viper gen1 pst right before an alaska trip, wouldn't hold its focus after owning it for 7 years

I have had good luck with the Leupolds I own. I do not use them much for longer range shooting, so I wouldn't say I have really tested their repeatability beyond doing occasional box tests.

That said, I would say that the features of their product lines are migrating away from what I value. Based on my hunting style, shooting habits, and how I have been conditioned over 20+ years of hard use of optics on my issued M4; for my needs I would rather K.I.S.S and not have exposed turrets. At this point every Leupold at the VX3 level or above have CDS. I would really like to get my hands on a 2.5-8 VX3, but at this point I need to try and find a used one as I don't want a CDS.

I know some don't like them, but I have fired countless rounds using a stadia type reticle, and for me this is far more useful for my type of hunting. Leupold seems to be reducing the availability of these.

So at the end of the day, I think all companies produce the occasional lemon, but what is making buying a leupold harder for me is their scopes just don't match my preferences....
I recently bought a Zuiess Conquest 4 and a Meopta Optika6 for that same reason. Couldn't find a reticle I liked that was illuminated and the knobs were easy to use. Acquired a Swarovski with a gun purchase and absolutely didn't like the knobs on it. The Leupolds are easy to use. I own a lot of Leupolds. Ever hear of a Leupold Hunter in 3-9? Acquired it when I bought a 1982 Remington 7600 on Gunbroker 3 months ago.

Vari-x II 3-9: held zero fine, still have it, though on a rimfire now

VX-2 with M1 Turret: did not track or hold zero reliably on a 7mag

VX-3 3.5-10 with M1 Turret: held zero fine but did not track correctly. The adjustments were consistent, but dialing 2 MOA was not 2MOA in adjustment

FX-II 6x36: LR dots, held zero well

FX-3 6x42: M1 Turret, same issue as the VX-3 with tracking, held zero well

Take it for what it is YMMV. I got rid of all but the one on my 17, but obviously they work great for some folks.

I have had other scopes take big hits and hold zero, and track perfectly every time. I don’t hate Leupold, but I’ll likely never buy another.

Edited to add: If I inherited a nice wood stocked rifle I would consider another Leupold fixed 6.
I've not had a Leupold that wouldn't end up at zero...and no they usually don't track as per the clicks but figure that's on me. I have some that will change (but not much) & some that have stayed 'on' for years. Have mostly Lupes, with a Z3 and an Accupoint in the mix. No complaints or returns for malfunction on any of em.

Over many years of gun horse trading I've owned a few dozen Leupold scopes, many well used.

Leupold has an excellent repair policy. Or so I hear, because I've never had to use it because none of the scopes ever had a problem.
This.

I am very hard on gear. The only scopes at any price point I have not needed the warranty on are Leupolds, Zeiss, and Swarovski.
I don't have any NF stuff, but I expect they would hold up to my abuse.

I always smile when the Vortex boys talk about their warranty. Warranty means Jack Sh!t if your hunt gets ruined.

Them danged Lee-o-polds…drop em 50 times and drive a nail with ‘em they just won’t work no more. I have a couple, my dad has had a couple, they work just fine for many years. My brother killed a buck a couple weeks ago with a Leupold that’s been on the same Model 70 .308 for 40+ years…bullets still go to the same place. But, to be fair, he seldom drops the darn thing.
Same thing here. I have the same 2 Leupold scopes on our Rem 700's in .270 and 7 mag for 40+ years as well and never had a problem.
No dials or turrets just plain old fashioned scopes. Set 'em and forget 'em. (y)

I have used leupold for a long time. All mine that I spin turrets on (mostly M1's) have dual erector springs, all have leupold dot reticles.

They all hold zero, none have tracking issues that I can see shooting them from zero range of 250 yards, out to 750 at least once a month.

I keep reading about all the issues, but haven't experienced any trouble yet. I also keep thinking I should get a couple of the higher end scopes for spinning turrets, but until I see something bad, probably won't.

My biggest complaint with leupold is they ditched the custom shop. IMO/E I believe that's why I've not had any issues spinning turrets. When I sent them in to have M1's put on, I had them upgraded to dual erector springs. I'm really not a scope guru and honestly I'm not spinning turrets much while hunting, but plenty at the range.

With the 250 yard zero and my style of hunting, I don't think I'll have much problem the handful of times per year I have to spin a turret. I just hope if something is going to fail, its not on a once in a lifetime type animal.

Most rifles wear nightforces for me. They’re heavy but are tough. I don’t beat my gear like some guys do and get off on warranties but I’ve had a couple leupolds with tracking issues, still good scopes and leupold has always taken care of the problem.

I have two. One sits on an old 03 Springfield mounted probably 25 years ago. Vari-X something. Simple crosshair, no issues.

Got a newer one with a turret on a tikka 300 wsm. Drives tacks. Tracks well.

Back