Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Leupold CDS users?

MThuntr

How are you guys deciding what elevation and temp to give Leupold for your CDS? Are you just averaging conditions for your typical hunt?

I'm hoping to send them my info as soon as I get a load developed this weekend (140gr Partitions over Hybrid 100V, Rem primer, Winchester case).

Why not just get a MOA labeled dial with zero stop?

FWIW, I talked with a guy who built/sold rifles and scope systems for long range hunting. His opinion was that a single dial was good for about a 5000' change in elevation. So one set for 5000' would cover you from 2500-7500 feet.

An MOA dial would not have you locked into any range of temps or elevation or if you change loads. Just have to change your reference when changing those things, which is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Not being locked into one load would be the big one for me. Sometimes I'll switch up bullets just because.

Get on a trajectory calculator and play around with some different loads, elevations, temps, etc. With a little work you'll find that you can cover a range of bullet weights, velocities, etc.

My 7mm/08 can use the same dial for the 120TSX @ 3000fps and the 140BT @2850. There isn't but a couple of inches difference at 500yds. If I cared to, I'm sure I could tailor a couple more to fit as well.

I just bought one with the cds. I have not worked up a load yet and will prob be shooting factory loads. I prob won't have much time to play with it and figure it out. So I'll prob just use it like a traditional scope this year.

I went with an average. 4000' 40 deg. I figured that would be close enough. If was going to hunt sheep I might have a new dial made for higher elevation. Just my two cents...

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back