Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Leupold CDS question.

Brian in Montana

I've never used Leupold's CDS, but I understand how it works. My question is one of practicality: is it easy to bump it off zero in the field? I'm primarily a backpack hunter and my rifles spend a lot of time attached to a frame pack going up and down mountains, under tree branches, etc.

I see the CDS turret does not have a zero-stop so that would be my concern. I don't want to have to worry about whether it stayed where I set it when yanking it off the pack to shoot at something.

After it’s zeroed, I reset mine to zero and can only move that turret one way after the turret has been set. Maybe I’m misunderstanding It. I am fairly new to it.

I've not had problems with the customized CDS dial moving or any other elevation turrett moving for that matter. I did have a CDS dial move on me when I didn't have a customized dial on the top...that was an issue because I wasn't 100% certain if it went up or down. I have had windage turretts move on me which is generally not an issue since most CDS scopes have capped windage. CDS dials sight in distance is basically a zero stop on CDS turrets

Unless something has changed, the dial that comes with the scope does not have a zero stop so yes, it is fairly easy to bump off zero. When you have a zero your good with and order the custom dial, that dial will have a zero stop.

I've had no issues in the 18 months I've had the scope carrying my rifle in the gun bearer. Vx3i with ZL.

I have three cds scopes. All three have zero stops. Vx 3 and two vx 5’s. Mine ride the back pack a lot and I’ve yet to have one turn once I’ve got the custom turret on. Only been using them for about 4 years though.

The scopes come with a MOA dial that has no zero stop, and a voucher for a custom dial. When you get the custom dial it not only has a zero stop, it also has a “button” that must be depressed while turning to prevent the situation you describe.
Even without it, it quickly
becomes second nature to check the dial as you would check the safety.

The newer custom dials they’ve been sending for scopes without zero lock are a little taller than the factory ones so they bottom out on the rubber washer harder making them tough to spin. A few of mine I’ve actually taken sand paper to take some off the dial so it spins easier

I've been looking at a vx freedom, simple 3x9x40 with a duplex reticle. I have a great appreciation for simplicity, but looking into the CDS system, seems interesting. I've always done well out to around 350 or so with the MPBR method, but seems if the circumstances were right, the CDS could come in handy. And probably wouldn't HAVE to twist it for every shot, just have the option.

Anyway, the info I've seen on Leupold's website indicates that scope does not have a zero-stop, unless I misunderstand. Is it maybe the initial turret that comes with it doesn't have a zero-stop, but the customized turrets you can get later do?

I've been looking at a vx freedom, simple 3x9x40 with a duplex reticle. I have a great appreciation for simplicity, but looking into the CDS system, seems interesting. I've always done well out to around 350 or so with the MPBR method, but seems if the circumstances were right, the CDS could come in handy. And probably wouldn't HAVE to twist it for every shot, just have the option.

Anyway, the info I've seen on Leupold's website indicates that scope does not have a zero-stop, unless I misunderstand. Is it maybe the initial turret that comes with it doesn't have a zero-stop, but the customized turrets you can get later do?
The freedom is not the ZL or ZL2, so no zero stop. Anything with the ZL or ZL2 has the zero stop.

Brian

The CDS dial on the VX freedom is just a regular CDS like all the older model leupold scopes came with. The newer VX3,VX5,VX6 have the CDS-ZL or ZL2 zero lock which is the button you depress to be able to spin your turret.

With the regular CDS dial that comes with your scope it doesn’t have a zero stop or lock but you can easily make it a zero stop. It literally took me about 10 minutes.
All you need is a drill bit and little 1/16”ball bearing. Once you zero your scope/rifle you mark it and then remove the CDS dial and drill a small indentation in the CDS dial. Install the little ball bearing into the hole and now you have a zero stop. It’s actually how the custom CDS turrets work also. The only downside is you only get about 3/4 of a revolution on the CDS dial.

Here is a write up for the zero stop mod.

This. The homemade zero stop is about the easiest modification you’ll ever do. It’ll take you longer to go to the hardware store and get the bearings then it will to take a drill and put it in.

I have a vx3 cds without zero stop. It seems pretty solid. I packed it all over with a sling last year and put a bunch of miles in with it strapped with a kifaru gun bearer this year. I never had it inadvertently move a single click.

I have both be with zero stop and without. Get the one with zero stop. 3 years ago I made a quick shot on an elk at 50 yards. Missed somehow. My dial was at 700 yards. It got rotated on my shoulder as I hiked. I always have it set at 200( lowest setting) I constantly double check it now. Can’t happen on my ZL version.

I’ve never used a Leupold with an exposed turret on a hunt, although I do own one. After years of not hunting with an exposed turret, I hunted with a Meopta MeoPro. When carrying it in a gun bearer, I found that the elevation turret has been turned all the way to maximum elevation. I started taping it in place with electrical tape after that. It may have contributed to missing an elk in AZ, or that miss may have been 100% me. At only 225yds, I’d like to think it wasn’t me, but the dial was on zero when I took the shot.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back