Let’s see some region 7 antelope!

Yeah, my wife threw in the towel this year and told me not to bother getting her a pronghorn tag. It's a darn shame that so may tags are sold that it takes all the fun out of it. A literal zoo anywhere East of the Bighorns any more. I still hunt them, but it sure isn't as enjoyable as it once was. I find myself cussing idiots more than enjoying the hunt.
It is not hunting any more... it is "racing the other guys to get the shot", or "dodging the other guys trying not to get shot".
It’s quite a spectacle. Trying not to get shot isn’t a joke. When the rifles come out I try to stay home. Really brings out a different class of hunter.

The chaos of public land pronghorn hunting is what caused me to give up hunting them. If there was more elbow room, it is very enjoyable hunting. But, that is realistically only on private land, or maybe later in the season, mid week.

I worked with a guy, long time ago now, that was a good example of what goes on. On the opening weekend, he went thru a box of shells and still had his tag. From what he said most of the shots were at considerable range at running animals. I don't think it ever occurred to him there was a better way.

The chaos of public land pronghorn hunting is what caused me to give up hunting them. If there was more elbow room, it is very enjoyable hunting. But, that is realistically only on private land, or maybe later in the season, mid week.

I worked with a guy, long time ago now, that was a good example of what goes on. On the opening weekend, he went thru a box of shells and still had his tag. From what he said most of the shots were at considerable range at running animals. I don't think it ever occurred to him there was a better way.
Yes that is sadly what i hear all over now. My plan is hopefully travel on the weekend and hunt all mid week. It seems like people just don’t fully appreciate antelope compared to a deer or something. I mean no matter what people will always take terrible shots they’re not confident at but a box of shells. That’s amazing!

Yes that is sadly what i hear all over now. My plan is hopefully travel on the weekend and hunt all mid week. It seems like people just don’t fully appreciate antelope compared to a deer or something. I mean no matter what people will always take terrible shots they’re not confident at but a box of shells. That’s amazing!

The amount of gunfire you hear on opening day is impressive. Antelope running all day tongues hanging out

Reactions: DFS

There is still areas you can hunt them and avoid the chaos. mtmuley

Region 7 info/pics. It’s not as good as it was, not even close.

Last edited:
We skip opening weekend and hunt the week before general deer rifle. We hunt in an area that is well known for its antelope and seems to have no shortage of hunters. Get up as high as you can early in the morning and glass. I won't put on a stock unless you can't see the antelope from the road. If you can find an area with water away from the road, there should be antelope around. Put in some effort and get away from roads and you should have fun. Don't be afraid to put some miles on those boots. We average 15 miles a day, but the hiking is so much easier after you've been chasing elk inn the mountains for 6 weeks.

I’d say if you really want a good hunt and chance at a real nice buck, visit with some ranchers (some do allow antelope hunting), hunt archery, or go later in rifle if you cannot spend a lot of time looking before the opener. It’s not about what’s buck scores, but it sure is fun to look at as many as you can and enjoy taking your time before filling the tag. That part of Montana has some serious antelope potential but it’s so mismanaged.

Last edited:
Region 7 info/pics. It’s not as good as it was, not even close.
Well that was a depressing read

Montana might be mismanaged but we do have “opportunity”. FWP even took a poll about 20 years ago and hunters said that’s what they want according to the poll. 🙄
Sorry, I don’t have a net worth to qualify for the current state of Hank’s opportunities.

Drew my first antelope tag for region 7 and wondering what the quality is down there. I know I’m going to say I don’t want to settle for less than 70” but let’s be honest I’ve never seen a live antelope up close or know much about em so I’ll probably end up shooting something smaller and still being absolutely stoked!

Would I be better off getting there a few days early and scouting or going later? I’ll be deciding in the next week or two when I can actually go and not too worried about finding a buck to shoot cuz I’ll find one.
Regardless of what these “old minded dudes” tell you, Region 7 can and does have Antelope in the 70”+. It is all in the work, timing & luck. Just go hard, look for those places others won’t go and most of all make some lasting, fun memories. Smarter but harder when needed. I wish you the best in your endeavor!! Send pics!

Old minded dudes? Lace the boots up? I’m sorry but I am not going to be satisfied with the current management and quality of hunt. Numbers are a shell of what they once were.

Old minded dudes? Lace the boots up? I’m sorry but I am not going to be satisfied with the current management and quality of hunt. Numbers are a shell of what they once were.
We can be in a club. First time I saw a guy driving around in a pickup with a go-pro attached to his head was in R7 hunting antelope, 2009.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back