PEAX Equipment

Let’s see some region 7 antelope!

Dwreckers

Drew my first antelope tag for region 7 and wondering what the quality is down there. I know I’m going to say I don’t want to settle for less than 70” but let’s be honest I’ve never seen a live antelope up close or know much about em so I’ll probably end up shooting something smaller and still being absolutely stoked!

Would I be better off getting there a few days early and scouting or going later? I’ll be deciding in the next week or two when I can actually go and not too worried about finding a buck to shoot cuz I’ll find one.

I would get here a few days early and try to find that 70 inch buck before the shooting starts. Your best bet is to hope to get him in the first hour of the season, after that all bets are off and that goat is probably headed to private at 60 miles an hour. The good thing is that @Hem is correct and there are some places that you can walk in to later in the season that might still have some antelope. I would start to look for those places now and they do not have to be big chunks of public antelope habitat.

Last edited:
Don’t let these guys get you down, it will be fun and 70” is not an unrealistic goal, you just may not reach it. I much prefer the second week of the season, antelope for the first few days is a depressing venture, tons of people and a short (1/2 hour) window to get it done on day 1. Private gets hunted also, and remember antelope do not move all that much. Hike a little, glass a lot, enjoy.

Don’t try to cover all of R7, pick a spot and go hunt it rather than trying to drive from Alzada to Jordan and back in a day. I spend a lot of time in R7 for Pronghorn but that opening weekend sure does suck.
Last time I hunted 700 some toothless dbag about shot my window out as he balsted away ay a herd crossing the road. I'm not a confrontational guy but I chewed his ass about beat it down. I wouldn't hunt the first week either people are mindless.

Don’t let these guys get you down, it will be fun and 70” is not an unrealistic goal, you just may not reach it. I much prefer the second week of the season, antelope for the first few days is a depressing venture, tons of people and a short (1/2 hour) window to get it done on day 1. Private gets hunted also, and remember antelope do not move all that much. Hike a little, glass a lot, enjoy.
Nobody is going to put me down. I’m too excited and pretty confident will get it done. If not guess it’s all lessons learned.

Nobody is going to put me down. I’m too excited and pretty confident will get it done. If not guess it’s all lessons learned.
Is there a basis for your level of confidence? Optimism is great though optimism should be realistic rather than a mantra spoken no matter the situation. An example is if I am pretty confident I can hit a running pronghorn at 1000 yards. Just because my rifle can send a bullet 1000 yards does not mean much. Realistically, I will not hit that pronghorn. Really does not matter if I declare I am confident or not and in a 1000 yard shot would be unethical to act on that confidence. Easy to write checks. Those checks better not bounce.

Region 7 is huge. The quality, abundance and pressure are highly variable, so it’s hard to answer these questions at the scale of “Region 7”.

That said, my personal hunting experience in R7 declined significantly the past few years. Seeing elk-style 10 person camper and wall tent encampments opening week and people doing idiotic crap really ruined it for me. I would skip opening week and go later if it were me.

Region 7 is huge. The quality, abundance and pressure are highly variable, so it’s hard to answer these questions at the scale of “Region 7”.

That said, my personal hunting experience in R7 declined significantly the past few years. Seeing elk-style 10 person camper and wall tent encampments opening week and people doing idiotic crap really ruined it for me. I would skip opening week and go later if it were me.
I’m headed there 3 days before deer opener in hopes of finding my buck. With gas as spendy as it is I don’t want to make 2 trips if I can avoid it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back