Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Let’s see some region 7 antelope!

I've never tried to judge speed goats, this will be my first hunt for them. I found some last year mule deer hunting in R7. As long as I can find a representative buck I'll be perfectly happy. I'll just be looking for fronts up at ear height or better.

I've never tried to judge speed goats, this will be my first hunt for them. I found some last year mule deer hunting in R7. As long as I can find a representative buck I'll be perfectly happy. I'll just be looking for fronts up at ear height or better.
Mass is king

The "my 80+ antelope" conversation is always good for a laugh. Few people have even seen one and even fewer shot one. Anyone who claims measurements should have to include a score sheet from a official scorer not 2 drunks in a garage with a craftsman tape measure. Failure to comply will result in continued shaming....

images (1).jpeg

Last edited:
The "my 80+ antelope" conversation is always good for a laugh. Few people have even seen one and even fewer shot one. Anyone who claims measurements should have to include a score sheet from a official scorer not 2 drunks in a garage with a craftsman tape measure. Failure to comply will, result in continued shaming....

View attachment 232960
I want an 80 inch buck someday. Won't kill me if I don't get it. The one I posted just about gets there. With 14 and 1/2 inch horns. Hence the mass thing. And I do have a score sheet. mtmuley

The "my 80+ antelope" conversation is always good for a laugh. Few people have even seen one and even fewer shot one. Anyone who claims measurements should have to include a score sheet from a official scorer not 2 drunks in a garage with a craftsman tape measure. Failure to comply will, result in continued shaming....

View attachment 232960
Have a total of 5 over 80 net with score sheets from official B&C scorers, 4 of them are my wife's. Three more gross over 80.

I haven't hunted Montana in a long time for pronghorn, probably 24 years. But back in the day it didn't seem too tough to find one in the 70's.

I started buying points a few years back, would like to hunt them again in Montana just for the fun of it.

I would think a 70 inch buck is doable, but you would need some time and be willing to cover a lot of miles. We have hunted 3 or 4 BLM/state parcels and a lot of time pronghorn bucks, especially bigger ones will break off by themselves and hole up in a square mile area. I bet pronghorn will be really scattered this year with all the water, and the sweet clover/grasses will be really tall, which can be difficult to shoot over. Some areas of region 7 have low pronghorn numbers and others really high. I got one buck probably over 70 and have had three permits. Good luck on your hunt, and wear plenty of orange

Pretty sure this was one of, if not the last years we hunted pronghorn in Montana.

My wife drew a second choice tag for the 700's. Found a buck near circle where she had permission on an BMA.

Killed it right away in the morning:

patsant3.JPG

Took off and headed to the 600 unit we usually drew and I killed this one right at dark:

buzzant3.JPG

One other year, we both picked up leftover 700 tags and shot these 2 bucks, thinking this was either 1998 or 1999 I could look in my journals for sure:

buzzant2.JPG

patsant2.JPG

*Bookmark*

Looks amazing, I hate dealing with shoulder meat so this will be awesome.

Yeah, my wife threw in the towel this year and told me not to bother getting her a pronghorn tag. It's a darn shame that so may tags are sold that it takes all the fun out of it. A literal zoo anywhere East of the Bighorns any more. I still hunt them, but it sure isn't as enjoyable as it once was. I find myself cussing idiots more than enjoying the hunt.
It is not hunting any more... it is "racing the other guys to get the shot", or "dodging the other guys trying not to get shot".

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back