Caribou Gear Tarp

Let’s see some region 7 antelope!

ive had the tag 9 times in 14 years. smallst buck i harvested was75 and some change, yes theres lot of people, in places, but theres lots of bucks in places,, scouting is key,,,

Is there a basis for your level of confidence? Optimism is great though optimism should be realistic rather than a mantra spoken no matter the situation. An example is if I am pretty confident I can hit a running pronghorn at 1000 yards. Just because my rifle can send a bullet 1000 yards does not mean much. Realistically, I will not hit that pronghorn. Really does not matter if I declare I am confident or not and in a 1000 yard shot would be unethical to act on that confidence. Easy to write checks. Those checks better not bounce.
Im just confident I can find some antelope is all. I keep every shot under 400 yards. I also realize there’s a chance I could be part of the unsuccessful percentage.

Im just confident I can find some antelope is all. I keep every shot under 400 yards. I also realize there’s a chance I could be part of the unsuccessful percentage.
There’s antelope. A legit 75 is a great buck nowadays. It used to be simple with the right private property and not so hard if you had time to shop around, even on public.

There’s antelope. A legit 75 is a great buck nowadays. It used to be simple with the right private property and not so hard if you had time to shop around, even on public.
I’ll give it hell. Never been before so it’s all learning. I should hopefully have enough time to look over a number of antelope and decide. 75” would be too cool but I definitely don’t expect that especially my first time ever antelope hunting.

No matter where you end up. Antelope hunting is probably the top western hunting opportunity there is. Enjoy yourself and good luck who cares what the score is. Antelope meat is incredible, i wish they were as big as a wapiti.

FYI

There are lopers north of 94!

I agree with HW, never thought I'd see the day when every single bigger piece of public had multiple camps during opening week of speed goat. Kinda took the FUN out of my wife's favorite hunt!

Don't get hung up on score. Find a few pieces of ground that you can hunt on, preferably with a few antelope roaming around, and enjoy your 1st hunt.

It's been a long time since I have hunted pronghorns. The circus that comes around the opener caused me to give up hunting them. I hunted in Region7 several times.

I don't know what this one scored, but he hung on the wall for a good number of years.

4801CE9C-0D3F-4541-A2D7-2EBE40EF4230_1_201_a.jpeg

I'd guess I killed him in about 85 or 86. So, a long time ago now.

2 weeks ago there were 2 bucks within rifle range of the gas station in alzada that were pushing 75inches,,,,

ive had the tag 9 times in 14 years. smallst buck i harvested was75 and some change, yes theres lot of people, in places, but theres lots of bucks in places,, scouting is key,,,
I hope you’re getting those pics to make this thread more visually stimulating. I’m thinking about this more and willing to put some money down..

A 75 lope is an absolute stud and a vast majority of bucks harvested don't hit this mark, even in good units across the west. Most are 55 to 65. It's a lot to hit 70 and even more to get to 75...

#chamoisassassin
#❤R7
View attachment 232900
Def a 70 incher right there almost 30 high I bet!

Get some quality glass and learn what a nice buck looks like antelope are hands down the hardest animals to judge in the field I think. Don't get hung up on score on your first hunt for antelope, just go enjoy yourself. I wouldn't hunt the first week myself.

Last edited:
I agree with HW, never thought I'd see the day when every single bigger piece of public had multiple camps during opening week of speed goat. Kinda took the FUN out of my wife's favorite hunt!

Was my wife’s favorite hunt too. Good hunt to take the kids out on. Last 5 years it’s become a complete shit show of people and isn’t near as enjoyable. I’ve been just putting in for the 900 tag last couple years

Back