Let Them Roam - A Bison Yarn

Congrats!! This is an amazing story with amazing photos! I'm so glad you're sharing.

Did the packer not work out for you?

Way to stick with it and get it done, Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Impressive. Damn impressive. In so many ways.

Having helped a friend field process a cow bison and having help from friends on two bull bison of my own, you did amazing work, all on your own and without the benefit of daylight.

Your storytelling skills with words and images should give you an invitation with Outdoor Life.

I've taken weeks to decide to write this up.

The thing I want to achieve by sharing this story is to promote appreciation for this animal, and hopefully spur interest in allowing free-ranging herds to return to more state and federal lands, so more people can share in their physical and spiritual fruits. They are the plains; they are the mountains; and, as I discovered, they are part of the wind, the dirt, and the grass.

After eating bison, I want more. It approaches perfection in a game meat.

After this hunt, I'd be happy to hunt my next bison in some rolling grassland, like where you'd find a pronghorn.

I won't be returning to hunt them here, this is once in a lifetime. The experience is also, truly, once in a lifetime. This is a tale wrapped in rugged terrain, rugged animals, rugged people, and a little bit of weather.

I left home in a blizzard with my family to visit a national park. I want to mix outdoor fun with hunting for my daughters, so that they will pack my bison and elk as I get too worn out to pack them myself. No family pictures, but they enjoy the sights and climbing on rocks, but mostly the hotel pool.

I also return in a blizzard, under much more difficult circumstances,

but with a grin on my face.
View attachment 320845
I've read thru post #53, but this last picture captured my attention early! If I'm correct, that truck is on a trailer, so maybe the transmission 'gave way' before you got home...

Your story thus far is excellently presented with interesting writing and terrific pictures. I look forward to the rest of the adventure! Thanks for sharing... 👍😁👏

What a grand adventure. You are a talented story teller, and photographer.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back