Let Them Roam - A Bison Yarn

Truck trouble...its all part of the experience Russ.
Great write up I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm still waiting for the @Ben Lamb star rating tho.

Amazing photos! thanks for sharing what looks like an incredible adventure even without the truck issues...

That was awesome! My anxiety would have been through the roof with what you went through after the kill. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Managing to kill a Tacoma-- which has the survivability of cockroaches and Cher--might be the most surreal part of this story. @Bluffgruff, you certainly had one for the books!
The joke among friends is that @Bluffgruff could break an anvil. When debating the durability of hunting gear, we ponder if it’s Bluffgruff-proof. 🤣🤣

Apologies for the tardiness. The judges needed to clean up a bit after reading this.

They have awarded the OP:

6 sister wives, 14 buffalo scrotum tobacco pouches, the knowledge that a taco can die, and our extreme jealousy & admiration.

Epic indeed. Well done!

Awesome tale! I can't imagine what it took to achieve that adventure. I'm also waiting for the story on the truck.

That is an awesome story and hell of a hunt! Thanks for sharing!

The thing I want to achieve by sharing this story is to promote appreciation for this animal, and hopefully spur interest in allowing free-ranging herds to return to more state and federal lands, so more people can share in their physical and spiritual fruits. They are the plains; they are the mountains; and, as I discovered, they are part of the wind, the dirt, and the grass.
Maybe a topic for its own thread, but I always wonder why there isn't more interest in increasing wild herds. My guess is the cattle industry among others who would have issues with it.
I would think bringing them back and expanding their populations would garner as much support as wolves from antis and the general population while also getting the support of hunters.
The bison is one of my top species I'd like to pursue, but the free-range options are just about as limited as sheep hunting. I'll be in for UT and AZ, but still trying to talk myself into the $6k WY draw.

@Bluffgruff so great on so many levels.

A suggestion if I may: "Truck broken, packing bison" as a title for @Big Fin 's suggested Outdoor Life article.

Huge tip of the hat to the CO, ORR and trailer buddy to come alongside and assist.
Who among us, seeing that written in dust on the back of a truck at a rest stop or gas station wouldn't hunt down the owner for the story.

A great tale.

And you have got some great friends, old and new. Congrats on that.

The world needs more people like you @Bluffgruff Also needs a lot more bison. Thanks for taking us along on your incredible journey.

Great write up and story, thanks. Makes me want to use my 25 Utah bison points on a cow hunt, since I will never draw a bull tag.
So @Bluffgruff what was wrong with your truck? Or did I miss it?

Back