Lesson learned.

i don’t hunt with many people I don’t trust and have shown a ton of my spots to a lot people who have burned them. There are a few I hold sacred, in fact I don’t speak to my brother in law because his dumb arse decided it would be a good idea to take a group of guys from out of state to a spot where we have killed several 70” lope and two b&c lope. Haven’t hunted or spoke to him since.. 2 years..

That said, I tell everyone I do hunt with, pull out you onX, see all the blue, green, and yellow? Those are my spots, we can go hunt them together, but if they are good I might go back..I don’t really care if anyone shows me a spot, never asked for someone’s spot, can’t think of a single spot I hunt someone else has showed me. because if it’s public land they are all mine...

Last edited:
The funny thing is my "spot" isn't secret. It gets quite a bit of pressure. BUT, I know it better than the elk do. I've showed it to muke deer hunters over the years. Got burned once. mtmuley

Public land or not, if somebody takes me to a spot they found, I don’t go back unless they invite me back.
Sorry it happened. I’d love to kill a my first mule deer buck. Sorry I didn’t get up with you before it got ruined.

I was recently asked where I shot an animal and my response was just behind the front shoulder. He gave me that confused look and I gave him a big smile. I do believe he understood what I was trying to (not) say.

Here is a slight twist on this topic. I have not really had it happen to me, but just for conversation sake, how would you view this? Lets say you hunt with another guy and you both find a public land spot and then without asking you, he brings his own buddies out to that spot while excluding you. Is that a jerk move? You can get into splitting hairs here (who researched it, whose idea was it, etc), but still, I think that has some semblance of a jerk move.

Here is a slight twist on this topic. I have not really had it happen to me, but just for conversation sake, how would you view this? Lets say you hunt with another guy and you both find a public land spot and then without asking you, he brings his own buddies out to that spot while excluding you. Is that a jerk move? You can get into splitting hairs here (who researched it, whose idea was it, etc), but still, I think that has some semblance of a jerk move.

I wouldn't be hunting with that person again.

I think that's stretching the unwritten "spot" rules a bit. This is not marriage, he is not cheating on you by hunting with others in a spot you both stumble into or find together. There is no sacred bond or pact formed by hunting with someone that says they can't hunt with others.

I think that's stretching the unwritten "spot" rules a bit. This is not marriage, he is not cheating on you by hunting with others in a spot you both stumble into or find together. There is no sacred bond or pact formed by hunting with someone that says they can't hunt with others.

Sure. But what would be the point of hunting with that person again if they are easily willing to give up information or a spot you found to their friends all while excluding you? Going forward you now know this person wouldn't hesitate to bring others there and more than likely will. That wouldn't work for me.

If you've hunted long enough you've had people burn your spots. Sucks for sure that a lot of people don't understand or care about the unwritten rules of hunting. Sometimes it makes me not want to take guys but I still do it anyway.

A buddy took me to a good elk spot a few years back where I got on a big bull and I'd love to go back but it's his spot so I've never gone back. He'd probably let me if I asked, but him and his buddies spent a lot of years learning the area and where to find the elk so I just decided I'd go elsewhere and leave it to them. I'll get invited to hunt with them again in the future and you've gotta always be finding new spots anyway.
We've had guys that figured out we know where to find animals from running into us with loaded packs look for our trucks and follow us into spots the last couple years in some heavily hunted areas. We'll be employing countermeasures on that little problem...

you've gotta always be finding new spots anyway.
From what little bit of success I've found this is very true. Eventually someone else will find you're secret spot, then it's just a matter of time before it's ruined. One of our spots in ID tanked this year, seems like everyone and their brother found it. The goal is to find another before next Sept.

Back