PEAX Equipment

Lesson learned.

Boy I’m glad I don’t have friends like a lot of you guys. It’s just a hunting spot.

I'm the other guy. Every time my best friend shows me a new spot I make it a point to go back out there either with or without him. I've even killed deer in his places during years when he didn't get one. Of course, I'd probably be SOL if Dad didn't start taking me out there as a kid in the first place, but I'll stick it to him every chance I get 😉

Some guys don't get it. mtmuley

^^^^ yep. It's the fact that you asked him to leave it alone, and without a call he goes anyway. Why does that make us mad? Because you, like most of us have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into finding those spots. Now he just gets to walk right in and start hunting. Why someone would think that is cool, is beyond me. And for those that think it is cool, wait till that friend tells another friend then another and so on. Now you do not have a honey hole. How cool is that? No, it is not just a hunting spot.

Hunting spot ethics is pretty variable person to person.

Someone helping you out for free, and then spitting in their face makes you an a-hole.

Honestly, I don't see @mtmuley 's situation being that much different than a landowner saying you can hunt their property, but only on foot causes it's wet, and then driving all over it in and tearing up the roads.

If have a problem with the rules don't ask for help.

Out of curiosity, what's the definition of a "spot"? For example, "sit right here at this specific point facing south"? Or "this drainage"? Or "the hills east of that town"? Or "Unit 62"? Just wondering how specific a spot needs to be before it can be considered stolen.

That can be a dynamic question. There are units I hunt where I've so many areas to cover that are indeed a drainage, mountain, ridge, etc etc that the whole Unit could be considered a spot. Other units I just have very specific spots that I don't stray from so the rest of the Unit is pretty much an unknown to me.

My definition of a spot is this. If I put in the boot leather, sweat and tears to find it, its a personal spot for me. Like mtmuley, I've shared many times trying recruit new hunters or with supposed friends. Like him, I asked them not to go back there without me or at least a call to see if we'd be hunting there. All agreed, but then broke that rule the 1st chance they could. Including just giving that information away to their buddies or blasting it openly across forums such as this and social media. To them the ends justify the means.

No more. I only hunt with family and a few close friends. They've helped find these places over the last 30 years and are just as tight lipped as I.

While I know hunting is regionally different, I have a great bud that lives in TX. He had a great lease in TX and one in OK. He's a pretty good dude and also generous in his friendships. He invited a buddy of his onto the lease as a guest. Long story short, my buddy found himself without a lease within a year of that hunt. Yup, you guessed it. His buddy went to the owner and outpayed my friend. While different, it amounted to the same thing. He had done alot around that lease to improve the hunting and land. Along with paying for the lease all those years. Whilie not exactly the same, I see both as just being dick moves. Your mileage may vary.

I'm a brand new hunter, and I have asked more experienced hunters where good spots are without even knowing that it's not a cool thing to ask. Now I'm embarrassed, and I'll avoid that question from now on.

That sucks man, just plain ole' sucks. Guess that's also why I prefer to hunt solo.

I enjoy making a game of it when people ask me where I shot my elk/deer/antelope/ducks etc., I never say the same place twice, always make up somewhere different. It's the only time in my life when I don't consider lying to be bad! :) If you ask me where I hunt or where I shot the animal, you can be dang sure what comes out of my mouth will be a flat out lie, unless your my immediate family.

Back