Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Leftover Wyoming cow tag

Chuckchapman1

I’m looking at picking up a leftover Wyoming cow tag. From my very brief research any tags yet available are otc? I’m non resident from MN so I will be calling Wyo to verify. Wondering what is the best plan of action. Head out and start pounding public with the masses? Try knocking on doors and paying to trespass? Just getting started in western hunting so don’t need anything backcountry just yet but not afraid to hike and spike for a day or two. Being a cow tag this is just a freezer fill trip and a way to get my feet wet. Any advice? Looking at unit 35,34,33 or going south and hunt 3,6,8

i dunno. an elk tag that doesn't sell out in wyoming tells me something i think.

i'd maybe look at some leftover co cow tags instead. but heck if i know, there may be some nuggets of gold in those wy leftover tags.

If you have a contact with private land in a unit with leftover tags it would be worthwhile. Most units with a good amount of public land sold in the reduced price draw.

I’m looking at picking up a leftover Wyoming cow tag. From my very brief research any tags yet available are otc? I’m non resident from MN so I will be calling Wyo to verify. Wondering what is the best plan of action. Head out and start pounding public with the masses? Try knocking on doors and paying to trespass? Just getting started in western hunting so don’t need anything backcountry just yet but not afraid to hike and spike for a day or two. Being a cow tag this is just a freezer fill trip and a way to get my feet wet. Any advice? Looking at unit 35,34,33 or going south and hunt 3,6,8
They are generally left over for a reason, usually access issues. Not to deter you but I'd try to make sure you have land access before buying one of the tags and committing to taking time off and driving out there.

Ive personally found it pretty easy to get access to private in Wyoming, if you have a female tag that is. If they are leasing the land to an outfitter, different story and I even had a guy that said we could go but he wanted $50 just as a "trespass fee" and he would hold it and keep others out that asked for the next day.

So that would be my recommendation. Make a scouting trip and don't be afraid to knock in a couple dozen doors if you find elk in an area.

i dunno. an elk tag that doesn't sell out in wyoming tells me something i think.

i'd maybe look at some leftover co cow tags instead. but heck if i know, there may be some nuggets of gold in those wy leftover tags.
It’s definitely because it’s a hard unit. Little public hunting access. But it’s a 1/3 the price of CO otc bull tag which I might be looking at this year as well. Kinda last minute invite.

Ive personally found it pretty easy to get access to private in Wyoming, if you have a female tag that is. If they are leasing the land to an outfitter, different story and I even had a guy that said we could go but he wanted $50 just as a "trespass fee" and he would hold it and keep others out that asked for the next day.

So that would be my recommendation. Make a scouting trip and don't be afraid to knock in a couple dozen doors if you find elk in an area.
I’m tempted to go out scout around and find permission then run to town buy my tag and go back and hunt. Not sure if that is a feasible option but something to research. I think in MN you can’t hunt the same day of buying your license.

I know alot of people dont like 125-6 but i like the long season they have so you would have plenty of time to hunt if you wanted multiple trips. Biggest thing for that unit is access issues but later season with snow would make that easier

I won’t be able to make more than one trip. Traveling from MN but I’d like to find a place I can get familiar with. Something not crazy difficult so I can introduce my wife and kids to western hunting in the future. Call it an adventurous grocery trip lol

Area 6 would be next to imposssible to get private access but just maybe. The public gets hunted hard but elk move around the area. By late season they heard up and had to safe ground never to be seen again.
Area 8 is more of a late season tag and when they move up from CO the hunting is good. You really need snow though to make it a good hunt in 8, more snow in CO the better.
Keep in mind road closures could affect your travels late in Wyoming.

pm me if you need info on 6

Late in the season Area 6 cows get into large herds and stay on ranches that you can not hunt.

As others have plainly said, there is a reason that tags are left over.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back