Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Leftover pronghorn tag...

BuzzH

I decided to buy a leftover pronghorn when they bacame available in a unit that had 500 or so left. I'd never set foot in the unit until the late afternoon of October 9th.

I looked some maps over and noticed some sizeable, but tough to get to, public lands in the unit. I barely had time to drive in there, but did see some average bucks. I was tailed all evening by a local rancher even though I was on a county road...he was out partolling "his" property. In one interesting spot, after the county road ended the road continued for about a half mile on BLM. I noticed on the GPS that the road cut through about 75 feet of private before jumping back onto about 5-6 miles of BLM and State. Just at dark, I drove down there and was not surprised to see the 75 foot section posted with a 3 signs and a fence post driven into the middle of "his" road.

I also noticed quite a number of pronghorn on the public behind the sign, which a person with the desire to walk about 300 feet could legally access by walking around the sliver of private. I It was so late I couldnt really see how good some of the bucks were, but there were several.

I find great pleasure in hunting such places...for a few reasons. One being most hunters are not willing to walk, secondly I like to excercise my right to hunt public lands, and third after being tailed by Mr. Landowner all evening thought it would be good to make sure he knows that he doesnt own legally accessible BLM.

I drove into MY PUBLIC LAND before daylight and just as it was cracking light I found a herd of maybe 25 pronghorns including 2 solid bucks that appeared to be low 70's type bucks. I figured those would be good enough on an additional OTC tag. I watched them until they fed over a ridge and then hot-footed it on over. In my haste, I'd not noticed 2 stragglers and I thought for sure my stalk was blown. Sure enough they saw me and hauled over the ridge and I also noticed one of the stragglers was a handsome buck. I took a chance and continued on and sure enough, the entire herd was in a sage draw feeding at 225 yards. I quickly found the staggler and shot him through the heart with my 7mm RM.

I'm really starting to like leftover tags...

IMG_0796.JPG

Put a tape on him when I got home today and he's 14 6/8 long and scores 77 2/8 gross.

IMG_0800.JPG

On the ride home today I filled a doe tag with my wifes new rifle...first animal I've ever shot with a 7-08. Shot was 194 yards.

The setup:

IMG_0806.JPG

The results:

IMG_0808.JPG

Pretty soon, some Congressman will introduce a law against having that much fun. Congrats. Gotta find time to get me one of those tags. I would pay dearly for a second Wyoming pronghorn tag each year.

Nice buck. I am confused on how a road can cut through private, but you can walk around to get to the public. I assume there was lets say a square block of HIS land which had the road, but around this square was public, so basically park the truck and walk around the square?

Nice buck. I am confused on how a road can cut through private, but you can walk around to get to the public. I assume there was lets say a square block of HIS land which had the road, but around this square was public, so basically park the truck and walk around the square?

Let me draw you a picture:

drawing2.jpg

The road BARELY cut through private...I'd say no more than 75 feet of road was on private and would literally take 2-3 seconds to cross.

I'm always amazed at the lengths landowners go through to keep people off "their road". If it was up to me, I'd have the BLM install a gate on each end of that 75 foot section and I'd fine the living shit out of the landowner if he built a new road onto MY PUBLIC LANDS.

Good looking buck! Too bad he was hard on his horns.

I know it! He would have been crowding 16 if he wouldnt have busted them off. I didnt notice until after the fact, and I didnt think he was busted even looking through the spotter.

Dinkshooter,

I should have taken a few pics...in particular when he was tailing me with his lights off all incognito and stealth like.

Oh, and way to go crushing me about my art...tuffy.:D

Last edited:
Just hacking on ya!

Why is the one freaking place in the entire west a freaking ATV has not made a new road is there around that corner?

2nd thought, no. Gives the non-lazy hunters a place to go.

I can't hardly look at that drawing anyway, those road occurrences give me gas.

Buzz thats just the read i like...the good keen guys having a win over landowners who own some dirt but think they own the whole county...excellent hunt!!

That is awesome. I like to get those landowners on video as they follow me. Makes them nervous and gives me something to laugh about later.

As always, enjoyed your post. Nice buck, nice shootin' too. I think they should only allow you 1 bullet a day when you're after pronghorns. The map works fine but may leave a little to be desired....
On our hunt with left over tags we never once set foot anywhere but public. We met a couple dang nice ranchers and a couple that certainly did not fall into that categorie. Whatever...we had a great time and they're getting ulcers over nothing.
Congrats on a very nice day.

Let me draw you a picture:

drawing2.jpg

The road BARELY cut through private...I'd say no more than 75 feet of road was on private and would literally take 2-3 seconds to cross.

I'm always amazed at the lengths landowners go through to keep people off "their road". If it was up to me, I'd have the BLM install a gate on each end of that 75 foot section and I'd fine the living shit out of the landowner if he built a new road onto MY PUBLIC LANDS.

I had the same exact type of road in the unit I hunted this year may or may not have been the same place but watching my gps it seemed to me the road could have been moved over the years just a smudge to keep people from acessing a lot more public hunting ground.I to walked back in about a mile and a half and had the whole thing to myself and was able to harvest my pronghorn.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back