Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Layering Managing Sweat

maxx

I am a bigger guy and I tend to sweat a lot. I can manage it pretty well here in the Midwest, at night is easier. I say that because it is typically warmer and I just carry my outer shell in a pack.

The morning is tougher because it is already cold walking in.

I seem to struggle the most with my lower level. I have a few different base layers but my problem normally is the mid layer. I will sweat right through the base layer into the mid layer.

Deer hunting again isn't to bad but I want to learn to be more prepare for a back country hunt. I also sweat lot during pheasant hunting.

Try spending the money on merino wool. It breaths better than synthetics and insulates when wet. It also is naturally scent resistant. Also try to control speed and effort to control sweat. Taking your time and not getting too frantic helps me. Good luck.

Layering

Here's what I do; I dress much lighter when walking in to reduce perspiration. That is I reduce the layers for the walk in and carry the rest of the layering system in my pack. Once at the stand I get set up and allow my self to cool/dry off and then put on my layers and settle in for the sit.

I also wear merino base layers. My mid may be merino or synthetic, synthetics seem to dry down quicker, and outer layers are synthetic. I have Kryptek gear which I really like, they have pit zips and other means to let out moisture. I'm sure some of the other higher end stuff has similar features.

Was talking with a friend on a long drive home from Denver and he has a hard time staying warm in the stand. His problem sounded similar, he puts on everything he owns on the walk in and is pretty wet, once you are wet you've lost the battle. He also likes to wear cotton jeans and a heavy coverall over the top, pretty much doomed to failure. A good layering system where you can add and remove based on temperature and activity is worth its weight in gold and you'll swear that is what it cost. If it keeps you out in the field more it is worth every dime.

I also find if I keep my feet, hands and head warm everything else falls in place.

Try spending the money on merino wool. It breaths better than synthetics and insulates when wet. It also is naturally scent resistant. Also try to control speed and effort to control sweat. Taking your time and not getting too frantic helps me. Good luck.

^^This

I am also a big guy and decided to give merino wool a try after a couple years of reading guys touting the greatness of it on here. I do a lot of archery antelope hunting and it's not uncommon to see temps pushing 100 degrees here in SE Colorado in August while I'm hunting, so I got a couple of pairs of merino wool boxer briefs. I can't even begin to tell you the difference it made in comfort alone and not sweating down there or chafing so quickly. I've worn them on archery elk camping trips without showers and they made a huge difference in cutting down stank and monkey ass. I decided I liked the boxers so much I bought a mid weight camo quarter zip long sleeve shirt to wear in the mornings when it was a little cooler. I've never had sweat become an issue with it. As a fellow big guy, I would definitely recommend giving merino wool a try.

Here's what I do; I dress much lighter when walking in to reduce perspiration. That is I reduce the layers for the walk in and carry the rest of the layering system in my pack. Once at the stand I get set up and allow my self to cool/dry off and then put on my layers and settle in for the sit.

I also wear merino base layers. My mid may be merino or synthetic, synthetics seem to dry down quicker, and outer layers are synthetic. I have Kryptek gear which I really like, they have pit zips and other means to let out moisture. I'm sure some of the other higher end stuff has similar features.

Was talking with a friend on a long drive home from Denver and he has a hard time staying warm in the stand. His problem sounded similar, he puts on everything he owns on the walk in and is pretty wet, once you are wet you've lost the battle. He also likes to wear cotton jeans and a heavy coverall over the top, pretty much doomed to failure. A good layering system where you can add and remove based on temperature and activity is worth its weight in gold and you'll swear that is what it cost. If it keeps you out in the field more it is worth every dime.

I also find if I keep my feet, hands and head warm everything else falls in place.
This^^^^^.

I wear A t-shirt, my jacket and just my pants. Then I strip down to my boxers at the base of the stand and pile on 3-4 layers on my top and bottom, plus gloves, hat, balaclava, etc. I sit all day 20 feet up in temps down to 15-20F.

Back