LAW IS LAW (please read)

Hey Tuff,

Which version of the Pledge did you recite today? The one pre-1892, the one pre-1923, the one that the Supreme Court said could not be forced on children in 1943, or the recent version that added "under God" in 1954?

Brief history of the Pledge of Allegiance
From Robert Longley,

The original Pledge of Allegiance, "I pledge allegiance to my flag and the Republic for which it stands -- One nation indivisible -- with liberty and justice for all," was written in September of 1892 by Francis Bellamy for "The Youth's Companion" magazine in Boston. The phrase was printed on leaflets and sent to schools throughout the United States.
The first organized use of the Pledge of Allegiance came on Oct. 12, 1892, when some 12 million American school children recited it to commemorate the 400-year anniversary of Columbus' voyage.

In 1923, the first National Flag Conference in Washington D.C. voted to change the words "my flag" to "the Flag of the United States of America."

Congress officially recognized the Pledge of Allegiance in 1942, but in 1943, the Supreme Court ruled that public school students could not be forced to recite it.

The words "under God" were added in 1954 by then President Eisenhower, who stated at the time, "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."

ringer said:
OK, I can imagine all the quiet and having Jose' cleaning up my bass boat. :D
ringer, do you ever read what you post after you sober up? What the hell does that last post mean? "I can imagine all the quiet "????

No votey, no speakey for the women and you cleaning my boat is obvious. I will feed you well but expect you to agree with everything I say. Also bring me nice cold OJ and vodkas.

Jose,

Actually all of them. I think I read that exact same exerpt, that you just quoted from off the internet, to my wife.

And as for the slaves and inequality of men and women.......that was a common practice in biblical times as well.

SCOTT

Tuff,
So you acknowledge that the "Under God" phrase was a recent addition by Ike? So, not a big deal removing worthless things from the '50's like the new phrase and ringer?

BS in biz with a minor in psychology. Let me guess, you have a law degree from Flatgap Tech.

Hoser says....Were those the same founding fathers who owned slaves and did not allow women the right to vote?

This coming from a guy who hires "slaves" [ illegals] :confused: hump

JOse/Gummer/Whoever you are,

I personally like the "Under God" in the Pledge....and I think the corruption and godlessness that occurrs in this country and in this world, I think a little religion might just help some people! So you keep your Rainbow Sticker on your VW and I'll keep the "Under God" in my pledge!

SCOTT

In some Higher Power we trust
Jose, that would imply a single authoritarian figure...these days you have to go with "In the Non-denominational Deity or Deities of Your Choice We Trust." :p

Del, I agree about the Pledge of Allegiance, except that I think they should explain what the little buggers are pledging to. I spent a good deal of my formative years reciting the Pledge without ever bothering to consider what I was saying...it was just something we did every morning before math class. In point of fact, I don't think it was ever explained in my entire school career...at some point I just woke up and said "oh." I don't expect that's changed much since then.

Toonces, you're bringing entirely too much logical thought to the discussion...please try to throw in a few derogatory comments, OK? ;)

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all

there I just said it hump hump hump

I teach 1st grade and we say it every morning after the tardy bell. At the beginning of the year, I did a half hour lesson on what all the words mean. I also make sure that everyone has the correct hand over their heart, that they are facing the flag and that they are not fidgeting. Most of my class comes from military families and I think it is important that they do the pledge and understand why they are doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back