Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Late hunt or private hunt?

MattK

I don't have a problem with a late hunt in this area but I do have a problem with the FWP giving ranchers the right to pick family and friends for the hunt and not the general public...When will the MTFWP quit bending over for ranchers...

On Saturday, a late season elk hunt will begin on private lands in the Grant Creek drainage and continue through Feb. 10.

The goal is to thin a herd of 250-some elk that are destroying fences and have grown accustomed to wintering on summer pasture lands belonging to the Circle H ranch, and to longtime Grant Creek and Butler Creek ranching families, Mike Flynn and Paul Hanson.

Since 1988, the herd has grown 17 percent annually, said Bob Henderson, a biologist for the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

To help with the thinning effort, 32 hunters have been chosen for the eight-week hunt. Because of the herd's proximity to homes in the drainage, each hunter will be given one week to hunt, and only four hunters will be allowed to hunt the area at a time.

Of the 32 hunters chosen for the hunt, each of the three ranches hand-picked eight people - mostly friends and family - and the FWP chose another eight from a list of people who put in for but did not receive 2005 hunting permits, Henderson said.

All of the hunters selected were required to attend a series of informational meetings with the ranchers and homeowners to review maps and photos of the harvest area, Henderson said.

“Safety is of a primary interest, and it's important for these hunters to know the layout of the area,” he said. To further protect residents, safety areas are clearly marked as no-shooting zones.

Mike Flynn said he is very supportive of the hunt because the growing elk herd is a problem that will only get worse. He and his family have owned their summer grazing property in Grant Creek for the past 100 years, and in recent decades the elk haven't ever reached the current herd number.

“We've always had elk winter up there, and you know I don't mind feeding 50 to 75 elk, but when I have 300, I have a problem,” Flynn said.

“I don't think anybody really knows how many are up there,” Flynn said. “My concern is that we now have generations of elk born up there and their calves come back to have their calves there. Now there are more elk there than cows I run in the summer, and they eat a lot of grass.”

Grass is a renewable resource, but the elk feeding on his pastures limits when his family can turned their cows lose on their property, and with the heavier traffic, the elk are destroying more and more fenceline.

What used to take the family one to three days in the spring to fix fences now takes six to 10 days, Flynn said.

“It isn't our responsibility to feed all these elk when it inhibits our ability to ranch,” he said.

The hunt is the third of its kind in Grant Creek, Henderson said. Hunters killed eight elk in 2002, and killed three elk and in 2004, he said.

“Hopefully when its all said and done,” Henderson said, “a few hunters will get some meat and a lot of elk will disperse into the North Hills.”

Natalie Hanson said she doesn't have a strong opinion about the hunt or about the increased activity it will bring to her end of Butler Creek.

The 83-year-old just hopes hunters are mindful about what they are doing.

“Just so they know what they are shooting at - and not at our cows,” she said. “In case they don't know, they're all black.”

Reporter Betsy Cohen can be reached at 523-5253 or at [email protected]

Sounds about right to me. What's the problem MATTy, you didn't get picked? If I had private land and the FWP was going to hold a hunt on it, I'd want to pick who got to hunt near my cows too.

Ten Bears said:
Sounds about right to me. What's the problem MATTy, you didn't get picked? If I had private land and the FWP was going to hold a hunt on it, I'd want to pick who got to hunt near my cows too.

I don't have much time to discuss this, but agree that the private landowner gets to decide who they will allow on their property, but not who the tag holders will be.

I wonder if the ranch allows public access for hunting, such as Block Mgt, during the general season?

Greenhorn- I'm not sure if they allow hunting during the regular season or not but I really doubt it. I don't know if it would make a lot of difference anyway because the elk typically are not there until there is quite a bit of snow. As the article states, they don't have these hunts very often.

The only problem I have with this hunt is that the ranchers pick their family and friends to give permits to. If they don't want elk on their land, they should allow the people who get randomly picked to be on their land. No different than any other late hunt. All of the hunters should have been randomly picked. If they don't want hunters to harvest the elk on their land...they should suffer with the consequences. They shouldn't have any more rights to those animals or permits than anyone else.

I bet its a big draw for the RMEF which has its headquarters in Grant Creek, "Hey look up there...one of the Flynn's is about to blast a cow in the ass near that sub-division".

Good to see the RMEF is "on point"....

What a joke.

BuzzH said:
I bet its a big draw for the RMEF which has its headquarters in Grant Creek, "Hey look up there...one of the Flynn's is about to blast a cow in the ass near that sub-division".

Good to see the RMEF is "on point"....

What a joke.

Buzz,
I agree with that statement 100%. RMEF is a joke, like most "grassroot" organizations they start out to do good and the directors and officers end up doing well.

I can't find any info on any other times that the MTFWP allowed the ranchers to hand pick tag holders. If the elk are that big of a problem then the ranchers shouldn't care who get to hunt them. Wonder is there are any paying friends among the lucky few?

Nemont

Back