NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Last Minute Scouting Mission

Arty

Just found out I am going to get a random week off of work.
Decided I am gonna make the 16 hour drive out West to scout where I will be elk hunting this September. What would you guys look for this early? Signs from last years rut like rubs? This will be my first time in that type of country so I am pretty clueless but I am very excited.

Depending on the area, elk may not be fully into where they will be in September.

Get to know the country and find spots on a map that you have picked out. Country looks way different than on Google Earth.

Also, take a camera to make better notes of areas you want to concentrate on.

Also, I would concentrate more on covering a lot of ground and different habitat, then getting to know a specific spot well.

Elk will be easy to find in September, but, it's a lot easier if you know the country and can cover ground until you find the elk.

There is very likely still a shitload of snow in the portions you want to look at. The creeks are also blowing out from snowmelt so I'm not sure how far you'd get

worst case you can't access too far in but you can drive it, a lot of "driveable roads" on the map turn out to be not so driveable when you arrive or what looks like a great camp spot on google earth turns out not so great in person. The first day of my hunts I like driving all the roads and driving to each trail head I want to hunt from just to see ease of accessibility/hunting pressure granted you won't have a gauge for the latter of the two.

I don't know about the Cody side, but on the Jackson/Pinedale side you are gonna need snowshoes above about 8500' unless you're on south slopes.

Go for it Arty!! Granted you might not get into all the area's due to snow but it will give you a good idea of the country your going to hunt. Plus who wouldn't enjoy a trip just to explore and have good time and maybe meet a hunt talker or two that live in that part of the state. Maybe contact a biologist that works that area and pick up some USFS maps of the area and topo maps. Above all have some fun.

Dan

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back