LASIK - Do It

I got Lasik in 2008, best decision I've ever made. I went from being blind as a bat and having to deal with glasses to 20/20 vision and no more annoying, constantly breaking glasses.

As a hunter, army dude or just someone who lives in Canada, not having these annoying foggy things on your face was a game changer. Waking up in a sleeping bag, or anywhere for that matter, and not having to look for them was the best!!!

I second that and all of the above. I had mine done at 31 (18 yrs ago) and I understand the procedure has only gotten more precise with fewer complications since then. Apparently the modeling of the cornea surface, and subsequent lasing down, is exponentially better today. Even with some scarring nodules around the incisions that showed up post-Astan, I'll still take it over wearing contacts or the coke-bottle glasses I had worn since being a teenager.

Had worn glasses since 3rd grade, contacts starting in 9th grade. After 30+ years of contacts and trying every version on the planet my eyes could no longer take them. Went with Lasik 4 years ago and regret not doing it earlier. Was 20-15 after the surgery now 20-10 in both eyes, amazing! Need cheaters now but don't much care.

GF had Lasik 18 years ago and it faded, she was back to glasses. She got the PRK "fix" 3 years ago and is now back to glasses again.

My prescription is in the -6.5 range, and I've been on the fence about it. I don't mind contacts, but they can be a pain, but I can't stand glasses.

I guess I just need to start an HSA and get it over with already.

My prescription is in the -6.5 range, and I've been on the fence about it. I don't mind contacts, but they can be a pain, but I can't stand glasses.

I did mine under "Care Credit", if you can afford the payments, if you pay the loan back in the 'promotional period" its 0%, the period varies by size of the loan. anyways mine was 3 or 4 years, dont remember exactly, but made sure I was on time and current, even paid extra when I could
The downside is, if you go outside that period its like 28%, and retroactive to the start of the loan.....$$$$

I did mine off my HSA too. Cost $4400 for all the pre surgery exams, surgery, and post exams. I think there were 6 pre and 4 post exams.

Dont get your hopes up for the "$250 per eye" sales pitch.

My payback will be 6-7 years considering glasses, contacts, and supplies cost.

I did mine off my HSA too. Cost $4400 for all the pre surgery exams, surgery, and post exams. I think there were 6 pre and 4 post exams.

Dont get your hopes up for the "$250 per eye" sales pitch.

My payback will be 6-7 years considering glasses, contacts, and supplies cost.

The payback doesn't really apply to me, since health insurance covers exams and either glasses or contacts anually. It's more a quality of life metric that I need to evaluate. But I'm not paying post-tax if I can help it, and total cost won't quite meet the minimum for itemized deductions on taxes.

The payback doesn't really apply to me, since health insurance covers exams and either glasses or contacts anually. It's more a quality of life metric that I need to evaluate. But I'm not paying post-tax if I can help it, and total cost won't quite meet the minimum for itemized deductions on taxes.
My wife was around -5.75 when we had it done around 8 years ago. One of the best decisions we ever made. She had astigmatism and myopia and it still 20/20. She uses eye drops regularly but always did with contacts too.

Flexible spending doubled up with wife’s flex spending covered most for me which was $4k + tax. Please don’t nerd out on ROI and calculate time to recover outlay. Just trust us on this one. I’ve been 20/15 since ‘16. And I’ve not once misplaced my glasses or had a contact go sideways since!

The convenience factor alone for me, having to pay it all myself, I wish I'd done it sooner. Like guys said, foggy glasses, scratched lenses, lost/broken glasses etc. I've never once regretted it, I just have to watch myself because (I kid) its almost like it turned my eyes to magnets though, lol. I've had 3 metal/rust in the eye occurrences requiring Dr visits since then, but those are my fault.

After having glasses since 5th grade I got the surgery done in Mumbai, India in 2009 at the age of 48 by an Indian doctor trained in the U.K, with all the (then) latest equipment. After a week of thorough testing I was in and out of the operating room in 30 minutes. $920 for both eyes. We were living and working in Kuwait at the time, and were in India anyway for a month of vacation. Would recommend it as long as the pre-op testing is positive. I need reading glasses for screens and in artificial light. Good trade though. . . no more rain on the glasses, scratched lens, breaking the frames. . . .

I remember hearing years ago that it is better to have LASIK when you are younger. I'm about to turn 43 and wear contacts/glasses but just need a slight correction. How long would the LASIK last at my age? Is it about 10 years and you have to go get touched up again?

I remember hearing years ago that it is better to have LASIK when you are younger. I'm about to turn 43 and wear contacts/glasses but just need a slight correction. How long would the LASIK last at my age? Is it about 10 years and you have to go get touched up again?
My wife was told that she'll eventually need readers glasses as she ages since they can't stop that. But that she effectively shouldn't really ever need to wear glasses or contacts for everyday life again.

Had LASIK yesterday and am seeing 20/20 today. After 20 years of glasses and contacts this is the most amazing thing ever (besides watching my daughter be born - still mind blown over that).

If you have been on the fence, just do it. The Xany they give you before calms you enough not to think about it and it’s over before you know it. Can’t wait to get into the field and do overnights not having to worry about glasses/contacts.

Been a big reason I haven’t been a backcountry guy. The fear of losing contacts/glasses back there have definitely been a deterrent. No more!!!!!
Agreed, it is a wonderful procedure. I did it 25 years ago in my 20s. Just now with my eyes adjusting in my 40s have I had to go back to contacts. Waiting till my eyes settle down with adjustments before I have it done again. One caveat to all is you can only have a Lasik procedure as long as there is sufficient thickness to your lenses. I have enough for one more procedure, but then that is it. Some people only have enough for one procedure.

Do your research and ask questions. Lasik surgery has become VERY popular among eye doctors and there are as many of them as there are breast surgeons. We've all seen what a bad boob job looks like.

Hope all is well!

I had lasik in 1998 and have had no issues what so ever. I do wear cheaters (reading glasses) at times if reading fine print. This was a great decision for me but I understand not everyone has the same success .

For those of you who have had it done and have had good results, do you need to wear cheaters for close-up work, like on a computer, etc.?

I have a mild astigmatism, and am nearsighted, but the doc said I am an eligible "candidate" for it. For me, the biggest appeal is being able to see farther away clearly, i.e., bow range, off on the horizon, skiing, climbing, etc. and not squinting trying to make it work. I have noticed when I am working on my laptop or even out in the field on my phone on OnX, etc. for a few minutes, then look up and out to anything past 50 yards, it is a bit blurry. That is frustrating.

I think 2021 is the year to get it done (I am 45) and start enjoying some good vision!

For those of you who have had it done and have had good results, do you need to wear cheaters for close-up work, like on a computer, etc.?

I have a mild astigmatism, and am nearsighted, but the doc said I am an eligible "candidate" for it. For me, the biggest appeal is being able to see farther away clearly, i.e., bow range, off on the horizon, skiing, climbing, etc. and not squinting trying to make it work. I have noticed when I am working on my laptop or even out in the field on my phone on OnX, etc. for a few minutes, then look up and out to anything past 50 yards, it is a bit blurry. That is frustrating.

I think 2021 is the year to get it done (I am 45) and start enjoying some good vision!
I also had astigmatism in my right eye, wasn't an issue for them at all. I currently don't wear any sort of cheater/contact, but I'm also 33. They did say as my eyes degrade over time as I get older, its a very real possibility I would need cheaters, and I'm fine with that. The best candidate from what they told me, is a person who's prescription is almost unchanged aka not continually degrading.

Yes, readers are needed for close-up reading, but not for computer use. I had bad astigmatism and vision was 20:200 or so. I couldn't get used to the toric contact lenses. I had PRK done in 2004 at the Air Force Academy. I was on active duty in Ft Carson, so I was able to take advantage of the opportunity for free. The Academy was doing PRK for their cadets in the flight program. The recovery was, as mentioned in earlier posts, a bit of pain (felt like I had sand in my eyes for a few days). But, it's all worth it - I was seeing through walls the day I walked out of the procedure (at least it felt like it). Only in the last couple years has my vision regressed slightly to about 20:30 or 20:40. Wearing readers on occasion is a small price to pay though. BTW, I'm 58 now.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back