Lake Champlain North Hero (pic heavy)

Sytes

We set our course for a five day vacation at a small lodge overlooking Champlain Lake, VT w/ a nice restaurant and great views... Along with a reserved boat slip/dock.

Panoramic view from our area, off the rock / grass topped pier in front of the lodge.

7683.jpeg

We're closing out day three, as I type and it's been very enjoyable! My main focus has been learning the boat. (One on the left). Photo is from our room.

IMG_20220608_183107042_HDR.jpg
From learning the large screen (and reasonably new) fish finder to learning how the auto downriggers operate has been really enjoyable!

This was from my entrance to our lodge from the location, a few miles north where we launched the boat.

7691.jpeg

Jen's an old salt (though she's 29 forever ;) ) when it comes to navigation as her father's a diehard sail boat extraordinaire! It apparently is a hereditary trait.

IMG_20220610_163206964_HDR.jpg

Fishing... Well let's say it's not called, "catching" for a reason... Learning the downriggers and the fish finders been great though it comes at a cost, so to say. Been a bit slow though worked the downriggers quite a bit and have the general operations down.

A smallie from yesterday:

7685.jpeg

Then there's today's, saved from being skunked catches.

7712.jpeg

7687.jpeg

7711.jpeg

We have a short clip from our first, "rougher chop" as we ventured from the islands over to Colchester / Burlington, VT. I never knew how nice wiper blades on a boat, solid front windshield / sidewalls, fully enclosed soft enclosure, a bow capable of clearing water, and weight rated spring seats. We'll have it uploaded and added to this thread.

Anyhow, I'll tack more as we continue our experience. Anyone interested in this vacation setting, PM and I'll shoot you the specific details.

Until then, enjoy. We sure as heck are having a blast! Great food, great touring (brought our mtn cycles - causeway bike path) oh, and a long island iced tea - rough and tough. More pics to follow.

I do some fishing up that way, at times, though I live a bit further south. Champlain is a beautiful lake. Enjoy!

That's a hell of a boat. Looks perfect for the Great Lakes/ Champlain.
A recent purchase with the assist of several HT members, including great input from @Salmonchaser to boots on the ground, or I should say, on the boat, review by @Duck-Slayer .

It tolerates me and my whims to go here or there and most importantly, wife's a happy camper and that surprised the hell out of me as it was double our original $ max. For our current and future objectives, this made much more sense or so I tell myself.

AND the, Break Our Another Thousand reference does not take into account inflation. Haha!

A great bike path! This was merely 4 miles that cross the lake of a 14 mile cycle trail called the, Island Line Trail and this connects into the Champlain Bikeway 360 mile route...

It's pretty unique as there's a ferry that connects cyclists (and joggers / walkers) via an approx 150 yard U shape ferry route that enables boaters and sailboats to pass through while continuing the cycle trail.

This is the gap the ferry routes back and forth.

Last edited:
Finally, we enjoyed a little live music from the Pier Bar and Grill connected to this little lodge.

There's various tourist opportunities throughout the island from island winery, cycling, historical locations, etc. They also have charter fishing guides that are very tight lipped though know their stuff when it comes to smallies, walleye, and trout.

Supposedly the world's oldest coral reef... Chazy Reef.

A few short video clips of the trip:
Quick clip crossing from the islands to Burlington, VT. A bit choppy. Not too bad though the weight based spring assist seats were invaluable to the kidneys... Haha!
Trim that motor up some and get the nose in the air, take care some of that water splash on the windshield 😜
Matt

Trim that motor up some and get the nose in the air, take care some of that water splash on the windshield 😜
Matt

Live / learn. Hah! I'll focus on that next occasion I experience such conditions.

I messed w/ the trim from 3 to 5 of 5 on the helm panel though didn't tweak with the R or L portions, nor the motor's raise/lower throttle tab. Seemed anything less than 3 and the hull slapped every wake(?) it hit.
I was averaging between 15 to 25mph of the 45 max.

First time hitting heavier water. I sure as heck would never have taken my older Bass Tracker ('85) semi v hull Jon boat across that- haha!
Reading versus practical, where experience pays dividends.
  1. When learning how to trim a boat in rough water, you will need to lower your trim tabs by using the trim tab switch at the helm. Trim tabs are lowered in order to bring your bow down when operating at a slower speed in rough waters. As the trim tabs are lowered, you will notice that the hull of your boat will start to ride flatter with the increased wetted surface area.

Thanks for the tip :)

I'm in the market and have been considering a Hewescraft Sportsman 180. Looking forward to seeing more about your boat.

Air ride seats are money.
B.O.A.T.! They look pretty sweet!

Our springs will have to do and thus far, at my level of boat edumacation, the Hewescraft weight dial knob spring seats works great. I've not hit the base and there were some good thumps that would've held memorable pains. The co-seat is squeaky... Silicone spray inbound. I'm approx 235# and have it set @ 250# or so and it's been a cush ride though my experience is pretty low on the totem pole.

Driver seat - same setting as the passenger seat:

IMG_20220612_170030265_HDR.jpg

Speaking of experience:

I'm in the market and have been considering a Hewescraft Sportsman 180. Looking forward to seeing more about your boat.

I sure wish I knew what I was doing to point out the qualities of the Hewescraft line though if I tried, I wouldn't serve the company proper justice. All I can say, it's as close to bombproof as a boat can be for my interests. The 210 Sea Runner is designated as a coastal build and intent... a bit overboard for many simple areas I fish though it serves well for rough patches as well.
For myself, I don't see a downside to, "overboard" as it permits me access to all the same locations I've ever fished AND broadens my retirement horizon for life on rivers, larger lakes (Champlain example) and the Peugeot Sound. Its welded frame is held in high regard by the ocean coastal fishing industry. I can beach it as I would my old aluminum Bass Tracker and have a full, comfortable full enclosure which was very helpful caught in a sudden heavy down-pour!

I suppose if I was to find a downside - it would be my first experience fishing within a walled boat. I've been on deck kneeling bass boats, able to dip my hand in the water. Captain's seat with my hard touching water. It's a different setting, reaching over the wall to release a fish or to bring one onboard.
Other aspect that has me reserved from my bass boat days, the depth. I'm very used to fishing shallow weed beds, etc. I've yet to touch ground and I've been in 3' of water with my motors raised and running the front trolling motor. It feels awkward fishing shallow waters from a walled boat. (I'll get over it, easily :) ). This is my grasp for what I may find wanting.
Outside that, I have zero reservations and more open to other fishing opportunities I didn't have in the past. It's extremely comfortable! Spacious! Safe(r) in rough(er) water. It's made to kick ass and take on fish! I've just not reached that point yet - Haha!

They're built in Colville, WA. Been in business around 70 years. Has remained a family business. Full weld, heavy gauge aluminum... I could go on and on. There's good competition out there in the full weld, heavy gauge - we liked all that we viewed and hired pro's in the area to evaluate. It was a healthy investment, as my wife calls it, my "forever boat".
We spent $$$ traveling to view and pay other people to evaluate boats... learned from people here the pros / cons of this and that type. I was leaning on an Alumacraft and Lund... Moved to consider Yamaha jet 210 FSH and Robalo brands (Center Consoles), at one point... Though the bang for the buck, kept bringing us back to the Hewescraft. Then there was the jet or outboard. Knowing my limited experience with boat motors, and interests kept me with outboards. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, now temp 2-6 years around the Champlain, NY/VT area, PM and you have the helm. Again though... my experience is pretty low on the totem-pole. I dig learning and there are some serious gurus on this site that know their stuff.

7736.jpeg

7738.jpeg

IMG_20220603_170205138.jpg

7738.jpeg

Last edited:
Great looking boat!! Champlain is a fantastic salmon/lake trout fishery if you are a troller. Also the best bass fishing in New England period!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back