PEAX Equipment

Lady friendly elk calibers and model?

Dave32g

My girlfriend drew a fairly good bull elk tag here in Oregon.
She has been shooting my 2506 really well.
I feel it’s a little on the light side.
But I don’t want to over do it with something too big.
I was just wondering what other guys have set up their GFs or wives with?

Thanks for all the reply’s but I should have been more specific.
I know all the calibers.
I’m more looking for exact setups you have experience with.
Caliber- model-bullet that you know is low recoil.

My wife shoots a Browning Micro Midas, 7mm-08, 140 gr. Nosler Partitions (Federal Premium), 2 X 7 Leupold compact. She has taken many whitetails and a few elk with that set up.

I bought my wife a Savage Lady Hunter In 6.5 Creedmoor. I do not recommend them, the short 20 barrels are not great and at Max it is a 300 yard rifle on a good day.

My wife really likes the tikka rifles. She has the wood stalk with fluted barrel in a 300 wsm. We had it shortened to fit her better and installed a brake, also lightened the trigger a little bit. She shoots 165 grain Barnes ttsx out of it. That setup is light with low recoil. She also drew a good bull permit here in mt this year so hopefully we can find her a bull. Good luck on your hunt, I hope your girlfriend gets a big bull. That 25-06 will kill a bull just fine.

My D-I-L , all 5 foot 98 pounds of her Loves her 338/378 for elk and bear.
But she has killed many a deer with her 257 WB, her new best friend deer/elk round , when she is not using the 338 ,
Is a 7mm/08.

My wife shoots a Browning Micro Midas, 7mm-08, 140 gr. Nosler Partitions (Federal Premium), 2 X 7 Leupold compact. She has taken many whitetails and a few elk with that set up.

Same set up here except in 308 with 165 nosler accubonds. She’s a big fan of the micro Midas.

My wife has a Remington 700 SPS in .270. She shoots the heck out of that thing. She's killed a number of whitetails and mulies but never connected on an elk.

Like others have said, 7-08 and .308 would be good choices too. A friend of mine has a very petite little wife and she shoots an -06. Has killed a couple of elk with it. The 25-06 is adequate, but honestly wouldn't be my first choice. Its a little light for elk IMO.

My wife shoots a Remington Model 700 Mountain LSS chambered in .270 Win. Lightweight enough for her to carry and not too much kick.

300wsm, recoil is not heavy and great caliber. I shoot 165-168 gr bonded bullets on everything. Sako A7 Tecomate model.
Have hunted with a 308 and a 270, prefer the 300 wsm.

My daughter shoots a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Bro. My wife shoots an older Tikka (695?) with the stock shortened in 30-06.

My daughter used a 7mm-08 for her elk, her husband hand loads everything, so I will ask about bullets and powder.

Back