Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

KS tags punched

upper deck

KS archery season started April 1st but the first few days were tied up with a couple youth hunters. So Tues after work I headed out to see if I could catch up with a couple turkeys.

This turned out to be a quick hunt with both my tags getting punched the same night. The first turkey everything went as planned with calling him into about 15 yards. Made a good shot and he died about 10 yards later. He ended up with around 7/8 spurs and a 9 inch beard.

The second turkey was more of a rodeo. I had decided I wanted to film the next turkey gettting shot. Well when everything started to go down I had 5 jakes and 2 toms at 20 yards, I was trying to film and wait for one of the toms to get out of the group to give me a clean shot. After about 3 mins and letting down the bow about 5 times one of the toms moved to the side and came under the fence. I had the camera moved to get the action but as I was worried about the camera I forgot to really aim and shot low. He then started moving off to the south so I quickly loaded another arrow and tried to move the camera and of course missed again.

I thought I had blown the double for the night. I tried to get something to come back but they all just slowly work their way to the south. About 10 minutes later I noticed a hen coming down the fence line and figured there had to be a tom with this group. Sure enough at the end of the group was a tom all fanned out and working his way about 20 yards from the blind. This time I left the camera off and was focused on making the shot and it was my last arrow. He finally came into the shooting window and I was able to make a good shot and he died about 5 yards later. The second turkey had a touch longer than 1 1/8 spurs and a 9 inch beard.

Attachments

• 2010 KS Turkey 1.jpg
    2010 KS Turkey 1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 2010 KS Turkey 2.jpg
    2010 KS Turkey 2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 146
  • 2010 KS Turkey 3.jpg
    2010 KS Turkey 3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 156
Wow, that is cool. As many turkeys killed in one afternoon as I have killed in my entire life. Congrats.

The rio was the first one I shot. The funny part about the rio and the eastern was that last weekend I was explaining how to tell the difference between the two of them. The pictures made it a lot clearer to him.

Ryan,

Awesome job. You make it look very easy. I will be out trying to fill one tag this weekend and am just hoping to let an arrow go. Congratulations on two trophy birds!!

Well done !!!

The "Eastern" may be a hybrid based on fan coloration. Are there Merriams in KS?? Lot of white on the Rio...from the first pic, I would have thought you had a Merriams and a Rio...

Good pics!!

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back