MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Kosher salt substitute for curing brine

Gellar

I need to do some curing. A pork ham and an elk roast into pastrami. I can’t find kosher salt at any grocery store. Would coarse sea salt be an acceptable substitute? Or what do you recommend?

I've also noticed Kosher salt becoming harder to find. I had a hell of a time finding some about a month ago so when I did stocked up. To your question Mortons Tender quick works well for curing and I'd thing sea salt would be fine.

I salt cure with good ol regular kosher salt, sea salt, maldon salt..anything but table salt and pink salt.

Have you tried any Kwik trips/stars? I'd be shocked of they didn't have some...or the nearest real town?

There is a difference between "Pink Salt" and pink Himalayan salt.
Himalayan pink is normal salt-colored pink.
"Pink salt" is for curing it has Nitrates.

pink salt for curing vs pink himalayan sea salt

"It is understandable why Pink Curing Salt might be confused with Himalayan Pink Salt. The clue however is in the name in that Pink Curing Salt is used specifically for the curing of meats whereas Himalayan Pink Salt is used as a seasoning during cooking or for a finished dish."
"referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations."

"Himalayan salt contains around 98% sodium chloride and 2% trace minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium. In fact, the pink tint of this salt is because of the traces of iron oxide."

Ironically, I can’t find anything BUT kosher salt. Can’t find coarse sea salt to save my life.

There is a difference between "Pink Salt" and pink Himalayan salt.
Himalayan pink is normal salt-colored pink.
"Pink salt" is for curing it has Nitrates.

pink salt for curing vs pink himalayan sea salt

"It is understandable why Pink Curing Salt might be confused with Himalayan Pink Salt. The clue however is in the name in that Pink Curing Salt is used specifically for the curing of meats whereas Himalayan Pink Salt is used as a seasoning during cooking or for a finished dish."
"referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations."

"Himalayan salt contains around 98% sodium chloride and 2% trace minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium. In fact, the pink tint of this salt is because of the traces of iron oxide."
I was referring to 'pink salt', #2, curing salt, etc... not hippy bullshit.

Ironically, I can’t find anything BUT kosher
I mean....it's all the rage these days

Get it?

But I here ya, we're big(ger) cooks, and varied cultures and styles and flavors. Between my wife and I, it's more like old school Mediterranean to middle east cuisine from her and escoffier to WV stills in the hills for me and a boy allergic to peanuts-egg-dairy...

Spices and raw ingredients have become difficult to the point we just grab items when we're in any of the local metros (we are within a 4 hr radius of 6-7 metros) as anything local is out or doesn't carry, so we bulk buy now

@Gellar what you need to try, in addition to pastrami, and as the process isn't much different, try to do a pastrima, suho meso. I think I've posted mine up here, but on a different forum I did a post on it.

It's like bitlong ®️ or jerky but actually good and old school, just need a way to cold smoke it (temps are perfect now). I'll do brisket (beef), deer, goose breast. Great field snack too paired with your flavor of cheese.

My neighbor found me some kosher salt. If you ever need to find something, anything, you just tell him and he will find it for you.

Wtf is going on with the kosher salt? Luckily my wife buys literally everything in bulk so we're good for a bit.

Last edited:
Back