Caribou Gear

Home cured ham, reduced sodium

SD_Prairie_Goat

Question for the group...

Anyone know how a ham would turn out if I brined it I a reduced sodium brine? I'll keep the curing salt at the normal level.

Back story, I try to eat a reduced sodium diet, so I'd like to try it on this ham if feasible.

I was thinking 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1 tbs cure #1, and a gallon distilled water for a small 4# raw ham without bone I have.

Legit? Or more salt needed? I'm not 100% clear on the salts use in curing, I know the curing salt prevents botulism and I thought it was responsible for the change in texture to ham vs pork.

I've made "city ham" with a 3 day salt, sugar and cider vinegar brine. Then it gets about 8 hours of sous vide. No curing salts or chemicals. Doesn't turn out pink, and it has a shorter shelf life, but its not bad. Finish with a brown sugar and balsamic glaze under the broiler.

The nitrate cure also keeps it pink instead of turning gray when cooked. I think that would work with a wet brine under cold conditions with nitrate cure. I think you could also use the full amount of salt and not brine as long if you're keeping cold during brine and eating or freezing right away. I've done dry cured ham with no nitrate and you can't cut the salt in that case as it's the only "curing" agent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back