hells creek jerky (ground and re-shaped)

Stay Sharp

I make a lot of jerky beef and venison and water buff and red stag and elk). Like everybody, Im always searching for the best jerky recipe or pre-mixed seasoning package so Im always trying new products. Over the weekend I tried a new brand of jerky seasoning from Frisco Spices out of Nebraska. http://www.friscospices.com/ Im trying their Hell’s Creek Jerky spices to make 25 pounds of venison jerky.

frisco2_zps3a3d6f0e.jpg

I always freeze my venison trim in gallon sized Ziploc Freezer bags and thaw it a couple days in advance of a jerky making weekend.

frisco1_zpsc17b242c.jpg

Once thawed (but still stiff with ice crystals) I grind it first through a 3/8 plate

frisco51_zps2d74ebe7.jpg

frisco52_zpse42e5d04.jpg

After the first grind I mix the seasoning with water. Trying to get an even distribution because using the seasoning dry never works and you end up with a spotty mixture where some of the meat is over seasoned and some is under seasoned.

frisco4_zps3f5f7ce4.jpg

The packet says to use 1 cup of water but for this volume of spices I use 2 cups to get the best distribution. The pink packet is a sodium nitrate/salt mix that you need to stave off botulism.

frisco3_zpse72a0edd.jpg

frisco5_zpsb8130470.jpg

The water and spices and cure are then poured over the meat.

frisco6_zpsb6a29cd5.jpg

Then (wearing rubber gloves) I mix the meat by hand until I cant feel my hands any more and my fingers start to ach from the cold.

frisco7_zps63893c60.jpg

Then I switch my grinder to the 1/8 inch plate.

frisco81_zpsf59f80f9.jpg

And grind the meat a 2nd time. This improves the texture and more thoroughly mixes the spices with the meat ensuring consistency and it makes sure the cure contacts all the meat.

frisco8_zpsc4e27b2d.jpg

Then the meat is punched down tightly to remove air pockets and then covered with plastic wrap.

frisco9_zpsf8379e06.jpg

Then the covered meat sits in the cooler over night. This allows the sodium nitrate cure do its magic to ensure all the meat is cured so it is safe to consume because the jerky is not cooked at high temps but rather slowly dried at temps no higher than 165F.

frisco91_zpse5a0e334.jpg

Then its time to do the dishes. I don’t delay because the salt in the second grind will raise holy hell with the steel parts and knives.

frisco92_zps29ac36bc.jpg

When dried, I always spray down my blades with a food grade oil to keep them from rusting. Ive had this set of blades for more than 20 years.

frisco93_zps2392dbd3.jpg

I wrap the blades in paper towel and store them in Ziploc bags (to keep them from getting dulled by banging into the other blades) and then I store my blades in the freezer where the humidity is very low.

frisco94_zps744d54c9.jpg

The next morning I use a jerky cannon to make strips right on the drying racks.

frisco95_zps4f6d9006.jpg

I always wipe down the clean racks with non-stick cooking spray that I spray onto a paper towel. I don’t like to spray directly onto the racks because it’s a mess and you get oil lines on the dried product that looks bad.

frisco96_zps919f753e.jpg

Since some in my family like hotter jerky I sprinkle a few of the racks with crushed red pepper flakes while the meat is still moist and tacky. I put on twicw as much as it needs since half of it will fall off during drying, cutting and vacumm sealing.

frisco97_zps800e8039.jpg

My dehydrator is a home made project that allows me to make up to 30 pounds at one time. The heat comes from two electric hot plates that produce 1200 watts each. It is built of wood and lined with metal (aluminum roof flashing) so It can be cleaned with ease. In order to move it around I made it in two halves. One half is the heater and fan box. There is a screen (filter) separating the two chambers.

jerky96_06.jpg

The other half is the dehydrator box with supports for ten drying racks. It is also lined with metal (aluminum roof flashing).

jerky97_06.jpg

Then the racks spend the next 8 to 10 hours in the dehydrator. I start it out at 140 and slowly raise the temp to 165F.

frisco98_zps93be64da.jpg

During the drying process I rotate the racks back to front as well as top to bottom to make sure everything drays evenly.

Fast forward 8 hours and its finished.

frisco991_zps9a6367c5.jpg

The strips are cut to length and vacuum sealed

frisco992_zps9e81bbaa.jpg

frisco993_zpse092541d.jpg

Im very pleased with the flavor. Its got a late heat that hits the back of the tongue.

Never been a fan of the ground jerky, but then again I’ve never tried too much of it!
My go to is u take 2 parts kosher salt, 1 part sugar (1/2white 1/2 dark brown) and 1/10 of total of pink salt. This is ur sugar cure. Take 1oz per pound of meat (personally like thicker chunks or slices but used thin slices for friends) mix cure w water until combined, then mix w ur meat. Let it brine for a few hours. Rinse plenty. Pat the meat dry. I then put salt, coarse ground pepper, freshly coarse ground coriander, red pepper flakes, and some more brown sugar..... all to taste
Then I lay on my racks w a fan to form a pelical. Smoke for a couple hours as low as u can get ur smoker; I have a smoke house so I cold smoke it. Then let it dry to wtvr u prefer.

Great details! Thanks for sharing. May have to check that company out. Typically use PS seasoning or LEM.

Hi Mountain Cajun flavor using 2-3 times the amount of seasoning it calls for. Whole muscle, no ground crap.

Looks good. I’ve always been more of a whole muscle jerkey guy, but started making more ground since our young kids like it. I just grind one time through the large plate and mix and really like it.

Hi Mountain Cajun flavor using 2-3 times the amount of seasoning it calls for. Whole muscle, no ground crap.
I'll agree with doubling or tripling seasoning. I've tried 3 or 4 brands they're all that way. However I dont mind the ground stuff but i do prefer whole muscle.

I'll agree with doubling or tripling seasoning. I've tried 3 or 4 brands they're all that way. However I dont mind the ground stuff but i do prefer whole muscle.
We like having to tear off a chunk in our teeth and chew it to bring out the flavor. Ground just seems like meatloaf.

That has always been my observation, with High Mountain. I have never needed to do that with Cabela's seasonings. They are spot on, especially the peppered. I also like the fact that they are in packets for five pound increments, instead of having to measure it all out.

I really like the ground jerky. The flavor is all through the meat, instead of just the outside and it is easier to chew, also.

I make both whole muscle as well as ground. As I gift large quantities to people from all the hunts I do, I know who has a preference from round and who like the whole muscle sliced. This was last weeks 30 pounds of elk jerky I made.

JbPZXzz.jpg

Back