Caribou Gear Tarp

cooking elk steak - help needed

I've liked the sous vide for making a really rich sauce. After I sear off whatever meat I'm cooking I add that super concentrated cooking liquid from the bag to my searing pan along with butter to deglaze the pan. Then finish with a hit of cream ideally.

You may have just convinced me to sous vide a steak for the first time

I've liked the sous vide for making a really rich sauce. After I sear off whatever meat I'm cooking I add that super concentrated cooking liquid from the bag to my searing pan along with butter to deglaze the pan. Then finish with a hit of cream ideally.
You just have to make sure that any squeamish guests don't see those bag juices. Not for the faint of heart. Can't argue with results though.

@ElkFever2 you could always go with the classic country fried steak, especially if you've got a lot of round steaks.

I think the aging in the fridge does a lot to bring out the flavor of the meat. My favorite method is to set the roast in a Ziploc bag with salt, pepper, a crushed garlic clove or two, a pinch of rosemary, and let it sit in the back of the fridge for a couple of days. Slice into steaks before cooking, or leave as a roast. Slather with butter or bacon grease for cooking.
However you want to season it, if you use freshly ground spices and mix them yourself you will get much better flavors than from whatever the enormous jar of what-have-you spice blend is that was purchased back in 2016 and sitting in the cupboard since :)

I think butter can help immensely with flavor if you are wanting to stick to simple preparations. Seared, melted butter, topped with caramelized onions and some Gorgonzola crumbles is so simple but fabulous.

My favorite basic marinade is just olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic, and rosemary overnight. The overnight is key for me…really infuses the flavors into the meat.

I will second Hank Shaw’s Steak Diane recipe. Sauces can be fun to experiment with on steaks.

Try corning some roasts, or go with the pastrami. I use Shaw’s recipes for both and either will be plenty flavorful.

I’ve been tempted to try a roulade, but never have. I bet that would punch things up a bit.

Sounds like you have a great excuse to try some new recipes. Should be fun 😀
I agree with butter, maybe even a compound butter with basil, parsley, fresh herbs or @MarvB ’s whiskey butter.
1643725338823.png

Sage & crushed juniper berries on a roast or back strap, with bacon over it.
Fresh herbs are where its at for the pop. Just tossed some garlic powder that only gave me heartburn.
Any chile grilled with it is a plus bite.

I think @Hunting Wife and @Gellar are spot on with simple preparations. Seared, melted whiskey butter, topped with caramelized onions or sautéed mushrooms and I’m all in!! There is always a cube of whiskey butter in our freezer just for this, slice off a slab and top while the meat is resting…perfection👍🏻

Cast iron with plenty of butter is a household favorite. Usually just season with a little salt and lots of pepper.

we use this once in a while, makes excellent kabobs on the grill or steak tips..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-01 112807.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-01 112807.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 1
You can get some great ideas from Hank Shaw even if you don't follow him exactly. His simple pan sauce is really useful. For bigger cuts try a Mississippi roast in the crockpot. Especially the neck meat, bone in when allowed. I like chicken fried cut from the top round.

My go to for elk steaks is a smoking hot cast iron skillet. Throw in enough butter to completely coat the bottom of the pan and add a little minced garlic. Put salt and pepper on the steaks then sear them until rare, no more than medium rare, and enjoy. Super simple but delicious!

I like to take a section of backstrap, butterfly and insert your preference of goodies, wrap in bacon and sear about 4 min per side then slide in the oven around 350 and remove at 130. Rest and enjoy. I also just like backstrap cut in slices grilled with only salt and pepper.
Like this??😁 I’ve made this a handful of times now with elk backstrap and it’s amazing. I sauté diced onions, garlic and jalapeños and then mix it with the cream cheese and stuff it. I usually season inside the pocket a bit also.
8F17CF99-7E24-4CA5-BD23-0D737C472623.jpeg

I’ve been doing mine in cast iron with garlic brown butter lately. Salt and pepper the steak well, then sear about 3-4 minutes per side and cut the heat off. Sear the edges as the pan cools some, then take the steak off and let it rest. While it’s resting, put butter and lots of fresh garlic (and fresh rosemary sprigs if you have some) in the cast iron and let it cook and deglaze the pan for a few minutes. Then put the steaks back into the pan and spoon the brown butter over them. Plate the steaks and spoon remaining brown butter from the pan onto the steaks.

Here’s an antelope tenderloin:
AB7759A0-E70D-481A-9E1A-8DEE505A5149.jpeg

And a beef filet I did last week:
FCF355AD-D7C4-432D-8932-4B1347898C44.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back