Knife Sharpener

JMG

I am looking to purchase a knife sharpener to sharpen primarily my hunting knife(s) and occasionally a pocket knife or kitchen knife or two. I currently have a Lansky standard three-stone knife-sharpening system, but I am still having issues with getting a good sharp edge consistently. I would not rule out an electric or belt driven sharpener. I have a Buck knife that my Dad gave me when I started hunting and it is troublesome to get a good consistent sharp edge on it. Also, I have the Gerber Vital (folding) hunting knife that has replacement blades. I like this knife, but there are times when performing field care you still need a good ole hunting knife.

What would you recommend ..... based on your experience with a particular sharpener ..... and why would you recommend a particular knife sharpener?

Thanks.

I've use the "Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener" for the last few years. It goes into the field with me - and if not there then it's in the kitchen.

It's the easiest and cheapest I've found to keep a great edge on blades.

I use a DMT double sided diamond sharpener in fine/ coarse. It folds up nicely for easy carrying. There are several grade combos available. The sharpener needs no lube except water, if its available. I've had mine for at least 6 years and its still going strong. GJ

Had my Work Sharp Ken Onion model for several years now. Absolutely love it.

Had my Work Sharp Ken Onion model for several years now. Absolutely love it.

I also have had the KO model for several years and it works great. I suggest you get used to it on old kitchen knives before using it on good hunting knives. I now can bring all my good knives to new condition in very short order. Good luck with your decision.

The work sharp is a great product that doesn't require a belt sander/electric hookup. However, it is a bit bulky in the field and I cannot bring myself to utilize all of its functions to get a shaving sharp edge while in the mountains, so I do think that it is best use is at home. While hunting I bring the Smith's pocket pal as it is very small/light but has coarse, fine, and diamond rod and with those combinations you can get any knife through any task. Does it get a shaving sharp edge on a knife? No, but in the mountains for quick, simple, touchups on a blade I am not sure it can be beat, and it does get them very sharp with just a few pulls if you do it before the blade is too dull.

X3 I bought the leather strap and compound for mine and I can shave with even the crappiest knife.

Another vote for the Ken Onion Work Sharp for kitchen knives, but I switched to replaceable blades for field dressing. It’s just too handy, doesn’t cost all that much, assures a sharp knife throughout the job, and saves me time, which is what I have the least of at the moment.

After about 5 minutes with Onion, my KOA Alpha Wolf has a good enough edge to last through an entire elk, or several deer. Last year I did two cows in the same day without touching it. Great knife and great sharpener. It was a real PITA to put an edge on it by hand.

I must be missing something bc my knives are not coming out that great with my KO so it's obviously operator error.

I use a Ken Onion also, my guess is that you're not holding the knife at a consistent angle or you aren't creating a curl on the edge. The curl is created by thinning the metal edge until it curls over on to the side opposite of the blade that you are currently sharpening. You only need one or two passes to remove the curl and the knife will be very sharp. Clean the curl off by using the finest belt that you have or a fine stone.

I was just watching that commercial over the weekend as I was sharpening a few knives with a stone. I bought one if those osolating kitchen chef shapeners yrs ago. Tried more than once and never did like it. Could only get a edge on really thin kitchen knives.
How fine of grit can you get with the work sharp?

I have from 220 to 600 and the leather strap. I mainly use the 600 and leather now. The only time I use the coarse ones is when I have to remove nics from my axe.

Not sure how you can't get a good enough edge with the Lansky. I have one and have no problem with getting stuff sharp. The first time to set the edge angle can take some time/work, but after that it's pretty quick and easy. I plan on picking up a medium and fine diamond stone to speed up the process with it.

I must be missing something bc my knives are not coming out that great with my KO so it's obviously operator error.

Look on youtube and there are a few videos a work sharp rep has put together. I've had mine for awhile and could get it sharp but not as sharp as it should. Watching the videos helped me to see my operator errors.

I have a box of fine stones & sharpening equip. & can get a razor edge on most knives,free hand.
I carry a DMT double folder & Lansky pocket sharpener(like Smiths) for field touch ups.
Finally got a Gerber Vital BG, but have not tried it yet.
Did this years bull with my old Uncle Henry folder , & tried a skinner/caper I had gotten from RMEF years ago.
Only had to touch them up on the Lansky a couple times. But they started razor sharp from bench & stone time.

The Lansky works good, but it has it's own unique challenges. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get the "whatever" to pinch the knife blade on my Buck knife and as I'm sliding the knife blade across the stone the knife pops out/falls out. It's frustrating and is cumbersome. I just figure there has to be a little easier and straight forward way to sharpen a knife. Sounds petty, but it happened enough that I am looking into getting a different product. I have had good success with other knives using the Lansky. I'm just thinking I will look into different knife sharpening products.

Thank you to the folks that recommended the "Work Sharp Ken Onion", I will look more into it. I believe this is the same sharpener my father-in-law just purchased. Thanks, again.

I carry a small round diamond sharpener and two old Buck knives. Once you learn the best angle they get sharp quick and no problems on an elk or deer. I also have Forschner skinner and boning knives that I use with the same sharpener.

Well I am the absolute worse knife sharpener in the world. My kids bought me the Work Sharp and I can finally sharpen a knife. I have tried stones and just can't get the touch.

Back