I threw away my EBS - RECOVERED

perma

So in my excitement of tagging out on two pronghorn, I realized my Gerber EBS blades were dull. I set them in a box to clean and possibly sharpen. A week passed by and I didn’t get to it, and I have an elk hunt next week so i opted to order a new set of blades. My infinit wisdom somehow told me that I would get a new case, which they did not. I got an email sent to Gerber explaining my situation, but am reluctant.

Here’s the situation:
- Trash comes tomorrow morning.
- I threw the case away in a bag, we throw two bags away at a time. I estimate 6-8 bags in there
- Dumpster has been simmering for two weeks on two separate pronghorn with some bones.
- It’s going to rain tonight.

WWYD?

Last edited:
Heavy duty shoulder length gloves, binder clip on nose, maybe a disposable rainsuit , rubber boots, and go dumpster diving!😉
Try rolling them up in newspaper folding the ends in and wrapping with a rubber band.

You could PM me your address and when I get home from this long trip I could send you replacements

Note, the EBS are resharpenabke with a few quick passes on a pull through sharpener.
I appreciate that offer, but the forum ‘persuaded’ me into dumpster diving. I reluctantly was able to recover. Sat in some hot water and dawn, then water and bleach, then disinfected wipes. Sitting outside to air out that rubber piece. It’s good as new. The blades on the other hand…

Good blades though, made a rookie butcher job done in less than an hour, twice! I’ll put a sharpener in my kill kit tonight.

Glad you found them.

I went through 20+ large trash bags on Thanksgiving after my daughters blankie was placed in a trash bag by an over zealous cleaning crew. Turkey carcasses plus the usual trash generated by three generations (22 people) doing a long holiday weekend in freezing rain. Alone at first, I was eventually joined by my brothers and brother in law in the search when they saw I wasn’t going to give up. Daughters Tears of JOY when I found it made it worth the effort.

Glad you found them.

I went through 20+ large trash bags on Thanksgiving after my daughters blankie was placed in a trash bag by an over zealous cleaning crew. Turkey carcasses plus the usual trash generated by three generations (22 people) doing a long holiday weekend in freezing rain. Alone at first, I was eventually joined by my brothers and brother in law in the search when they saw I wasn’t going to give up. Daughters Tears of JOY when I found it made it worth the effort.
Good man. I was lucky enough to not get the suspected rainstorm that I believe Laramie got.

I’ll say this though; if you’re a new hunter and you’re learning how to play the wind, hang out by a Wyoming dumpster and you’ll learn real quick how an animal figures you out.

Glad you found them.

And that my folks is a real DAD

True Story…

I’d just purchased an Cabela‘s Alaskan Hunter Vanguard. Oh man, S30V black nitride coated steel…razor edge…leather - I mean, REAL Leather sheathe…. I just can’t wait to punch a deer just so I can clean it.

End of a long day of hunting, back at a proper hunt camp. It’s “that time”…to head to the outhouse. Yeah…THAT time. Off I go…

Unbuckle the belt…go to sit down…and with a sigh of relief, knowing every joy the humanity of my being is about to enjoy, I watch in slow motion as my belt slips out of the loop…

So. If anyone wants the GPS coordinates to a truly wonderful Rosewood handled Buck Vanguard black nitride coated S30V steel knife…send me a PM.

Happy to oblige.

Have to pull the EBS out of my bag very now and then to jigsaw it together, dismantle, and stow. Handling the serrated blade gives me chills.

True Story…

I’d just purchased an Cabela‘s Alaskan Hunter Vanguard. Oh man, S30V black nitride coated steel…razor edge…leather - I mean, REAL Leather sheathe…. I just can’t wait to punch a deer just so I can clean it.

End of a long day of hunting, back at a proper hunt camp. It’s “that time”…to head to the outhouse. Yeah…THAT time. Off I go…

Unbuckle the belt…go to sit down…and with a sigh of relief, knowing every joy the humanity of my being is about to enjoy, I watch in slow motion as my belt slips out of the loop…

So. If anyone wants the GPS coordinates to a truly wonderful Rosewood handled Buck Vanguard black nitride coated S30V steel knife…send me a PM.

Happy to oblige.

Come on now, I'm disappointed in you. Zero effort for recovery? No handy coat hanger to hook that sheath loop for the save? I was showing a house once and went to take a leak, my shirt sleeve somehow hooked the pocket clip of my new knife, I watched as it flipped in the air and went straight into a stranger's toilet. I stood there and pondered life (and tried to decide if seller had cleaned the toilet that day) while my clients waited downstairs, finally I held my breath and fished that sucker out of there with my bare hand...and that was for a cheap folder.

Last edited:
So in my excitement of tagging out on two pronghorn, I realized my Gerber EBS blades were dull. I set them in a box to clean and possibly sharpen. A week passed by and I didn’t get to it, and I have an elk hunt next week so i opted to order a new set of blades. My infinit wisdom somehow told me that I would get a new case, which they did not. I got an email sent to Gerber explaining my situation, but am reluctant.

Here’s the situation:
- Trash comes tomorrow morning.
- I threw the case away in a bag, we throw two bags away at a time. I estimate 6-8 bags in there
- Dumpster has been simmering for two weeks on two separate pronghorn with some bones.
- It’s going to rain tonight.

WWYD?
Find a neighbor kid and offer 'em 20 bucks? Or hey kids who wants to go on an archeological adventure

Glad you found them.

And that my folks is a real DAD
"Well Kiddo, today we learn a lesson on losing things that are important to us. Sometimes you just have to let go."

In all honesty, I'd probably dig through the garbage if my niece asked me to in order to find her blanket... :rolleyes:

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back