Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kind of bummed, very pissed off

BigSky, I can assure you I am not PETA, and I have been huntng for over 50 years now. I have been a NRA mwmber many years too.

I did NOT condem his way of hunting, I simply stated that to me, it is not real hunting to shoot a bear out of a tree, and just haveing the chase should have been enough.

I do NOT recomend trying to kill a bear with just a knife to others either, as I think its crazy, but in YOUR case, I highly recomend it!! I would love to hear how bad the bear mauled you!!

Your mother must have had a real mean streak in her to let a prick like you live.

Moosie, I used to hunt that way. It works well. Now I just use ground blinds. I still have a tree lounge but have not used it for 2 years. For archery hunting, I might still use it sometime, but would not climb as high as I used to. My last deer (8 point)with a bow was from about 20 feet in the air. I won't do that again. 6 to 10 feet is enough. For gun hunting, I won't use it. I have no problem with those who do though. The deer in that case is on the ground and can run away. A bear up a tree has no where to go. For me, I would want the dogs backed off, and wait until the bear came down. That could be hours I know, but on the ground, it has a chance. up a tree it is a sitting duck. A deer on the ground must come to you and move to the position that gives you that clean shot. I would not clear out shooting lanes. A bear that is up a tree, you just move around the tree untill you have the shot.

I find much more satisfaction if I get ANY game that is not a sitting duck. No pats sitting on a limb, they must be in the air,
No deer that is penned up or funneled into an area for your allmighty dollar to buy and
no bear up a tree.

I am sorry everyone else dissagrees with me so much on this, but it is how I feel. In my opinion, it is better to flush a sitting bird, and let the bear get down out of the tree. Big Sky or what ever his name was noted that I have very few posts here. Small wonder as I have not much in common with people like that.

Go shoot your sitting ducks if you want to, that is your right because you bought a hunting license. I bought one too, but I will not use mine the way you use yours.
THAT is MY choice and I can live better with it.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You're right, everyone has their Opinion. I just like to Know what people's thoughts are. I know people that say me baiting bears is wrong yet they use bait on a hook fishing. I know people that say Game Farms are wrong yet they do Deer Drives. I know people that say Shooting a Bear out of a tree is Unethical yet they Shoot deer out of a field from a ground blind.

The internet is a funny place man. And real life is Even Funnier.

Is it better to take a Sure shot (Duck that lands in water) as opposed to shooting one that is flying and Winging it and loosing it ? HAve you ever shot at a moving deer ?

One more thing. You said "FLUSHING" a bird. I'm assuming you're using a dog to hunt birds ? Would that be any more right then using one to hunt bears or deer ? All a dog does is hold the bird there till you come and shoot it...

If you're going to tell someone your Oppinion, Be ready for them to tell you theirs. There is no reason to get mad then when they do. Thats how it works. And not everyone Disagrees with you. Sometimes it jsut seems that way
tongue.gif

I see what you are saying Moosie! You are right.

I would like to apolagize to all I offended here. I saw something that touched a nerve in me. I posted how I feel. I should NOT have done that. I sure did not want to start a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can tell its hunting season the hunter ethic wars are starting again. maybe ill go over to yoopers where they dont kill ANYTHING so they are proud anytime someone makes up a lie that sounds like a hunting story.
hump.gif
biggrin.gif

MrRee you won't phase me. You may have 50 years experience, but is it 50 years of doing the same old thing...I have to wonder? None of my hunting this year was over dogs or bait, but who cares. I love hunting bears over bait, don't personally care for it over dogs, and killed my best bear (big enough for B+C awards) on a spot and stalk hunt. The spot and stalk hunt was great, but I'd still rather hunt over bait.

I may not know everything about hunting, but I do know I didn't take a shot your momma. That tells me all I need to know about you. Now go back to your armchair and share some more witty comentary with me please.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-10-2003 10:30: Message edited by: Big Sky ]</font>

It's only wrong to State your Opinion if you're not strong enough to have someone give you theirs back.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I don't see the "sport" in that kind of hunt. Shooting bear out of a tree is to me like spearing fish in a barrel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me if Using a Rifle is Sporting ?!?!!

Let us not forget, we are all hunters here. We should support each others LEGAL pursuit of biggame. And next spring you can come up and video me get'n that bear with a knife okay Moosie! I am thinking the Michael River stand where Wylie was sitting? Happy hunting, Casey

This is a nice conversation. I agree with MrRee, its not real hunting. I think I know what real hunting is. The way I hunt, now there's some real hunting.

I think most people use the term real hunting meaning the kind of hunting they like, now there's some real hunting. We use it that way.

But, when we read it, we read not real hunting means its fake hunting and get offended. Legal hunting is real hunting, that's a good point made above. But, when we say, now there's some real hunting, that means its the kind of hunting we like.

This post is too long, but anyway, the typed word and the spoken word are different and its hard to read the typing here and see how people really mean it.

"real hunting" is a really hot pair of words, I think most people use it to be "the kind of hunting that I like" as they often know they are criticizing perfectly legal hunting when they use it negatively.

Hey Tom! Post away there buddy
smile.gif
Being from Kaliphoney I've got plenty tough skin so have at her
wink.gif

....not everything is bigger in TexAss ya know
biggrin.gif

This is a pretty interesting thread. I realize bear hunting is different around the country, but the fact of the matter is in many places it's far easier to spot and stalk and kill a bear than to catch it with hounds. But I've also been in certain country where the only way to kill a bear would be with hounds. Spot and stalk would be a waste of time.

So it really depends. But I recall a hounding buddy of mine that got a bear tag up in Idaho one year. When he got back he was very frustrated. He told me, "Everyday I could have shot at least two bears just walking around. I could have shot three different bears from my truck. But I could NOT catch those suckers with my dogs."

He was driving around and seeing multiple bears everyday. He'd look the bear over in his binos and if it was big enough he'd get his dogs and go turn loose on the bear. Never caught one with his dogs.

I think he turned loose his pack of dogs on about 4 different bears that he saw from the road and never caught one of them.

He finally just found a big one out in a logging cut, snuck in and shot it. Go tell him spot and stalk hunting is more challenging than hound hunting. He'll laugh you right off this website. :)

Personally, I think it depends on terrain, number of bears and a few other factors.

Houndawg, theres probably a logical reason your buddies dogs couldnt tree a bear, have they been around your own dogs much?

smile.gif

RD

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-04-2003 15:07: Message edited by: RockyDog ]</font>

i think you guys are forgetting that legal game hunt is defined differentlly in different parts of the country. dogs have been a part of hunting as long as firearms have.

Dawg,
Was he able to sneak up close enough to spray the bear deer or elk scent before he turned his dogs loose? I find if I can find a lion fresh off a deer kill, and if the cat still stinks enough like a deer I can get a dog or two to trail it for a good distance before comeing back to feed on the carcass. Happy hunting, Casey

I wouldn't go so far as to say horses are better than mules amigo.

It's just that I prefer to go riding instead of laying in a hospital bed or sitting in the ER keeping pressure on an open head wound.

So horses are better suited for me than mules. But that's just me. I wouldn't call them better.

In fact, I have a couple of riding buddies that I'm going to visit in the hospital this weekend and they swear by mules!!
wink.gif

It's personal preference really. I just don't have good enough insurance to own a mule.

-Dawg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back