Caribou Gear Tarp

Kimber Ascent

B

big28hunter

My wife is looking to get me a rifle for my birthday. I have had my hands on the Kimber Ascent several times at the local Cabelas. Unbelievably light and sharp looking. Have hunted sheep and goat with a heavy rifle and was looking for something that won't beat me up as much. Anyone have any insight with Kimber rifles? Appreciate your input! Good huntin'

I have a Kimber model 84 with a wood stock and blued furniture in 308 Winchester. Mounted with a Nikon Monarch 4 x 12 x 42 scope the whole thing is less then 8 pounds. Love Kimber products, highly recommended. ( Have a Kimber 1911 also )

Have a Kimber Classic 300 win mag going on 5-6 years...very light for a walnut rifle...very accurate. Still developing a load for a Montana 7-08...unbelievably light, like it.

My wife is looking to get me a rifle for my birthday. I have had my hands on the Kimber Ascent several times at the local Cabelas. Unbelievably light and sharp looking. Have hunted sheep and goat with a heavy rifle and was looking for something that won't beat me up as much. Anyone have any insight with Kimber rifles? Appreciate your input! Good huntin'

I have handled one recently at the Missoula Cabela's. It was a 270 and crazy light. Has anyone had a Kimber in 280 Ackley Improved? From what I have read it comes close to the 7 mag in performance. Big I hope you go for it and give us a report. What caliber?
Dan O

I can't speak for the Ascent, but really enjoy my Montana in 7 short. It kills goats just fine.:D I won't know about sheep until this fall. I better pick a unit pretty soon.:D

I have a Montana and it is a great gun. Honestly, I don't know that I'd want it any lighter. In other words, if you gave me the choice irrespective of price, I'd probably still pick the Montana.

i have handled one recently at the missoula cabela's. It was a 270 and crazy light. Has anyone had a kimber in 280 ackley improved? From what i have read it comes close to the 7 mag in performance. Big i hope you go for it and give us a report. What caliber?
Dan o

I can't speak for the Ascent, but really enjoy my Montana in 7 short. It kills goats just fine.:D I won't know about sheep until this fall. I better pick a unit pretty soon.:D

Love your avatar! BC was a bust for me. Trip two coming up October of 2017 with Munsey's Bear Camp on Kodiak Island. Was supposed to go next year but I have a daughter getting married.

I have handled one recently at the Missoula Cabela's. It was a 270 and crazy light. Has anyone had a Kimber in 280 Ackley Improved? From what I have read it comes close to the 7 mag in performance. Big I hope you go for it and give us a report. What caliber?
Dan O

Check out the Alaska Outdoor Forum. Quite a few Kimber fans there talking about their .280 AIs.

I have hunted 11 seasons with my M84 Montana Classic in 308. My old Model 70 '06 is a clumsy beast in comparison. Light rifles have their pluses and minuses. Ascent is definitely a specialty mountain rifle, which is part of what makes it cool. One thing with my Kimber is to make sure the barrel stays cool when you shoot it at the range. The barrel is very light and prone to overheating. Not a big deal in the field but something to keep in mind on the range. I've shot elk, mule deer, whitetail and pronghorn with my Kimber, as my Model 70 gathers dust.

My father in law, just got an Ascent in .308, and he really likes it, but has had to adjust some of his shooting techniques to keep it grouping well horizontally. He found that the rifle is so light that some bad habits (especially trigger pull and follow through) came to light that had never shown themselves with a heavier rifle, but the Ascent was so light the smallest side ways preassure on the trigger would send a round 2 inches left. Definately not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

Also, the break is very effective, but loud.

I own a Mountain Ascent in 280AI. A dream to carry and is my go to big game rifle.

Because Kimber has pushed the limits of lightweight, you will likely need to try different loads to find one that shoots with precision. If you are not a handloader, I recommend buying one in a caliber that has a lot of factory ammo options available. Once you find the right load, it should shoot great.

'Twer it me, I would probably go with the Montana. The "improvements" (break & paint job) on the Ascent aren't worth the price or weight difference for me. Based solely on MSRP, you can get a scoped Montana for the price of the Ascent alone for about a 9oz overall difference in weight.

'Twer it me, I would probably go with the Montana. The "improvements" (break & paint job) on the Ascent aren't worth the price or weight difference for me. Based solely on MSRP, you can get a scoped Montana for the price of the Ascent alone for about a 9oz overall difference in weight.

^^^IMHO, very good advice.

Certainly a great cause but my wife is buying this for me as a gift. Already told her anywhere from $1700 to $2100. Certainly don't want to ask her for more.

Thank you all so much for your advise! Exactly what I expected from the knowledgeable posters on this sight. I will be getting the rifle. TY and good huntin'

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back