PEAX Equipment

Kimber 8400 Mountain Ascent

RugerHawg413

Good Morning,
I have been looking at purchasing a Kimber 8400 Mountain Ascent for out west hunting (I live in AR), I have heard that they are like 4.7 pounds if the rifle has the right caliber. I was just wanting to see if anyone has ever owned one or if anyone has known anyone that has owned one. And what are your thoughts on the rifle? Thank you for all info, it is appreciated!

I started a thread to satisfy my Kimber curiosity a while back that might be of interest. Ended up finding a gently used Howa Alpine in 7mm-08 to scratch my lightweight mountain rifle itch though.

I started a thread to satisfy my Kimber curiosity a while back that might be of interest. Ended up finding a gently used Howa Alpine in 7mm-08 to scratch my lightweight mountain rifle itch though.

Awesome! Thank you for the info!!

One word of caution, extremely lightweight rifles can be difficult to shoot accurately. If you know someone that has a lightweight rifle, see how it shoots for you prior to spending a couple grand on a rifle that you may be disillusioned about its abilities.

I have a Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM, was my lightweight rifle. Shoots great and carries great and has killed a few animals.

I have a Howa Alpine 6.5CM that is significantly lighter and is a pleasure to carry and shoot, thought it was pretty light until I got the Howa Superlight in .308, under 5.5# scoped.

Light rifles have to be held onto to shoot accurately, can't just rest them on the bags and expect them to shoot like you can with a 10-12# rifle. They will bring out shooting flaws for sure. They can be so light that the recoil will easily affect the flight of the bullet and that is independent of the increased recoil. Kind of like shooting handguns where slower loads can actually hit higher on the target because the barrel is rising farther before the bullet exits the barrel.

Last edited:
One word of caution, extremely lightweight rifles can be difficult to shoot accurately. If you know someone that has a lightweight rifle, see how it shoots for you prior to spending a couple grand on a rifle that you may be disillusioned about its abilities.

I have a Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM, was my lightweight rifle. Shoots great and carries great and has killed a few animals.

I have a Howa Alpine 6.5CM that is significantly lighter and is a pleasure to carry and shoot, thought it was pretty light until I got the Howa Superlight in .308, under 5.5# scoped.

Light rifles have to be held onto to shoot accurately, can't just rest them on the bags and expect them to shoot. They will bring out shooting flaws for sure.
Thank you for the info! That makes very good common sense. I will put that into my consideration. Thanks again!

Light rifles have to be held onto to shoot accurately, can't just rest them on the bags and expect them to shoot like you can with a 10-12# rifle. They will bring out shooting flaws for sure. They can be so light that the recoil will easily affect the flight of the bullet and that is independent of the increased recoil. Kind of like shooting handguns where slower loads can actually hit higher on the target because the barrel is rising farther before the bullet exits the barrel.
This^^^...a 7-08 Kimber Montana proved it. The good news; traded it for a tricked 700 7 Mashburn with a light McM Edge stock...Balanced & carries just right. Repeats POI consistently from 100 to 400...so far.

Edit to add; the Mash is a comparably light rifle..the Montana was a feather.

Last edited:
The 8400 is the magnum action, and will weigh considerably more than the weight you listed. That weight is the 84m, which is the .308 and creemoor family
Understood. I think I saw that it weights like 6.8 pounds, rifle alone. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back