Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kifaru High Camp/Bikini vs. MR NICE 6500

Bambistew

My new bag came in last weekend. First impression, is its a really nice piece of gear, and well made. Is it better than the MR? Time will tell. I went with the 7000cu High Camp and the Bikini Frame as it was similar in size to the 6500. I haven't bought any add-ons for it yet, but plan to get a gun bearer and a couple spare compression straps.

I've only loaded it up with about 60lbs and it seems to carry well. I really like the MR yoke better than any pack I've tried, however the HC seems to be very comfortable as well and packs a bit differently. I'm undecided on the belt comparisons so far. The MR is much more robust and stiff, but I think the HC belt fits me better. The MR seems to be more comfortable on my lower back however. The frame sheet on the MR makes me sweat. The HC has a cut out up the middle so it should vent a bit better, and so far is not uncomfortable.

I wasn't expecting to be blown away, and there are a few things that I would like to change on he HC. One being an internal shelf that separates the sleeping bag compartment from the main bag, its missing. Its going to be a challenge to keep the meat out of the bottom of the bag unless I have a full bag or enough to pack in the bottom to keep the weight up higher. I'll have to play around with it to see how it works before I change anything though. The compression straps seem to be in a good point that I could chinch the bag down and keep the meat up higher. The MR has a built in shelf that keeps the meat up above the belt or close to it.

The HC is lacking a compression strap across the top, from inside the frame to the front of the bag. I use this strap all the time when lashing big awkward loads on the MR. I think I'm going to have one sewn in, along with a daisy chain down the front similar to the MR 6500. I'll have to see if I miss it first.

The last thing its missing is a handle to pick it up. The 6500 has two grab handles on the side of the bag. I use these all the time to get a heavy pack on my back. Going to miss those as well I think.. Maybe not as the HC has a frame I can grab. The HC is also lacking a handle on the top, but again you can grab the frame.

The HC is about half the weight of the MR, maybe more. The new "K" hook setup is pretty slick. No buckles on this bag except for the belt and chest straps. Being able to "hook" a strap to about any loop on the bag makes it very versatile. Nice pack, and I'm looking forward to test driving it this summer.

I'm looking forward to hearing more as you get some more use, a lot of reviews I've read so far might show just a tad bit of bias. As much as I love my 6500, I'm starting to think there may be other packs that could suit me a bit better and the Kifaru offering's certainly look they may address a couple of my thoughts.

Thanks for the review Bambi. I am interested to hearing more about your experiences. Did you already get rid of the MR?

Great first impression thoughts. As I'm sure it'll see some heavy use this season I look forward to seeing how it performs. You can get the meat shelf and 2 extra compression straps for the HC for $35 or so. It'll set the meat up higher and between the frame and bag. Though it'll be right up against your back, it should lift things up to the right level.

Keep an eye on the Bikini frame mate, I recently seen a brand new one, straight out of the box that had some serious quality control issues, I hope it works out well for you.

The Gen II meat bag clips right inside the top section of the bag and will hold your meat above your sleep system that's in the btm of the bag or as Spitz pointed out, you can clip it to the top of the stays and hang it between the frame and HighCamp bag.
You can buy a bag of G hooks from milspec monkey and some ladder locks and make your own compression straps.

Still have the MR. The way the used market sales are looking, I think I'll keep it, even if the HC fills the niche.

I understand that the meat bag 'hangs' inside the bag. Not sure I can get a boned out moose quarter in the Kifaru meat baggie though. ;) Placing the meat between the bag and frame is about the only option, and I think that will work well for bigger loads. I plan on ordering the heavy load out kit and a meat bag. I'm not sure I would trust the "hanger" with a 100+lbs of meat attached to it. Its just a couple loops sewn on the fabric.

Thanks for the heads up WapitiBob, I think I'll order some G hooks and some straps to make my own.

I packed a 60lb bag of sand and some other incidentals for a couple miles last night. I put z-rest pad in the bottom sleeping bag "hole" and then cinched up the bag tight. The sand bag stayed put. It was just as comfortable as the MR, and I think I'm sold on the hip belt. I had some reservations about the shoulder straps, but they were very comfortable with weight.

I don't think moose meat and comfortable can be used under any situation.:eek: You'll know soon enough if the thing is going to work. 100 days till sheep time :D

100 days till sheep time :D

114 until I can shoot, 108 until I'm boots on the ground in Montana. It's going to be a long summer. :D

BFC6EC82-87B3-4D1A-AB2D-E64D3F09337C-6723-000006BAD40491CA.jpg

Just got me a new Stone Glacier Solo a couple weeks ago. Sure do like it so far. We are trying to go Ultralight on everything we can within reason, (for a 7 day backpack hunt) so the bare weight of the pack was a draw. I figured why skimp on weight on other things and then buy a pack that weighs 4-5 pounds more than a S.G. ..? - I've loaded it up and am impressed so far. It's kind of a chevy/Ford thing to me. Some guys are die hard, one pack, or another. I just wanted simple, durable, and lightweight. Hopefully I'll get it bloody in Sept, and Oct., and can give a experienced review.

The SC packs look pretty decent.

The one issue with going ultra-light for starting weight, is, the manufacturers cut all the user friendly compartments/straps out of/off the packs, to me this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as, to gain that organization back in the pack, pockets will be added and stuff type sacks as well, know weigh the pack again.

I've not really looked at Kifaru's new offering, but it's interesting to me that they dropped the sleeping bag divider. My Longhunter (gen I) has one. Again, I don't know if the bikini/HC has it, but I use the strap between the shoulder straps, next to/inside the frame on my LH as a handle to pick up the bag. Don't think that's what it's intent is, but it works for it.

Also, definitely add the gunbearer. I won't hunt out of a pack, any pack, without one. When you order, order at least one extra top strap. Though I've not had one break, I've read of many accounts and they do seem to be the weakest link of the gunbearer.

I usually strap my rifle to my pack. I figure I'll try the gun bearer and have nothing to lose but a few bucks if I don't like it.

I'm glad I have a few months before sheep season... I cut back to light beer as of today. Tough times ahead. The up side is I get to tag along on a 'brown' sheep hunt as well. Going to be a good year to test gear, thats for sure.

Took the pack for a spin again last night. Same weight same distance. Not sure I'm loving the "lumbar" support pad. I might take the MR tonight for a comparison, just in case I forgot how comfortable it is.

I'm blown away by how many MR packs are for sale recently. Is there rally that many people dumping them go to lighter? There are some screaming deals to be had on what I think is arguably the best pack made. I'm half temped to pick up another frame just to have as a third spare. :D

My MR is collecting dust. No comparison to the Bikini frame when they're on my back but I'll take it to the landfill before I sell a crewcab for $300.
I thought that lumbar pad stuck out a long way but I don't feel it when I'm wearing the pack. I got the regular bend stays, maybe you need the flat backs?

So a quick run down on the pack after serious use. I had this in another thread and thought it would be better here.

I'm not 100% sold on the Kifaru, worked pretty well, but...

I broke a chinch buckle just below one of the J-hooks the first day, luckily I could cut it off, and still use the J-hook attachment. I was much more careful when chinching down loads afterward. It seems I can really chinch down the MR, and get better leverage with the attachment points than I could with the Kifaru. Not really an issue just an observation.

They put 3 ring tab in the top middle inside of the pack for a hydration pouch (which I never will use) it pokes you between the shoulder blades when the pack is full. (it was removed permanently last night)

The nylon belt slips sideways when pulling against the "power pull" belt loops. Hard to explain, but really annoying. I've talked to them about this and they're going to fix/replace my belt.

I tore a seam on one of the shoulder straps. (tiny tear, doubt it will tear any more)

When stuffed with 70lbs of meat it barrels pretty badly, but didn't affect the packing, just sealed the "chimney" between the pack and my back, causing me to sweat badly. With cold meat it was great, with warm meat... no so much. Didn't affect the comfort of fit.

I'd like to see who measured this thing at 7000 cubes... I can get way more in the MR6500. It was more than adequate for the trip, but I think its probably closer to 6000. Definitely can put more in it than I can pack...

I need a pocket for a spotting scope/tripod on the outside. Digging it out of the main pocket was a PITA.

The belt has a secondary Velcro/daisy chain belt on it. I guess for extra pockets, and the gun bearer? It was impossible to make tight, and my pistol just sagged off it. Waste of time... for me. I don't need more chit on my belt, and not a fan of the gun bearer. Don't care to knock my teeth out with a rifle barrel. ;)

Still think a central compression strap across the top of the pack would be useful.

Some good points...

I was able to keep the meat up off the bottom with chinching the lower compression strap tight.

The J-hooks and countless attachment points are awesome. I got an extra set of straps, worked really well.

The roll top lid is pretty sweet design, except it comes unrolled after a while, and doesn't work too well when the pack is empty. Not a real issue just an observation.

The bungee on the front was used every day.

I added one medium pocket to the front, and it was more than enough to keep a few things organized. I was a bit apprehensive about no pockets, but adding the one worked out perfectly. Will add a long pocket for the spotter.

I made it through the hunt without indecent, and carried it a long ways for days and days, usually full of camp or trophy. Carried 50-75lbs very well. I'm not sure how it will handle more though. Its hard to get the weight to position right with the limited chinch straps and lack of support "shelf" in the bottom of the bag. Maybe I'm spoiled and used to the MR?

I think I'll take the MR on the caribou hunt this weekend just to see if I made the right choice. I still think the MR carries heavy weight more comfortably.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back