Ketchikan Info

BayouBengal

Hi all,
My wife and I just booked out airline flight into Ketchikan enroute to POW for the Spring Bear season (late May). We actually have 2 days between our flight arriving in Ketchikan and our flight over to POW. Can anyone recommend a good hotel and cool things to do/see. We are really interested in maximizing our time and making the most out of this awesome trip. Thanks for any advice.

John

I do not know when the salmon are in, but I watched people catching them right in the marina while on a cruise once. Definately have a deep fried fish fillet at the shack near the marina. Totem Bight park is interesting for a short trip.

I'd look into air tours of Misty Fjords. Incredible country, and I think there are a lot of companies doing them. I've flown with Ryan McCue of RdM Alaska Seaplane Tours and think he is a great pilot.

There is a street downtown (Creek Street?) that has a ton of local shops for the tourists to spend money.

Annabella's Keg and Chowderhouse serves up good brew and a good halibut sandwich. It is on the ground floor of The Gilmore Hotel. I can't vouch for the hotel, but it is right downtown. You might look into it.

Walmart is pretty cool in Ketchikan. haha.. that's where us POW residents run too when we hit ktown.

Late May can be some fun fishing in the Salt for kings. A few crackerjacks out of Ketchikan that could probably land you on some kings, if you've got the $.

Annabelles is a great place to stop and eat awesome seafood there. We stayed at the Super 8 right at the boat dock nice place with a good lil bar and resturant to eat in there. You will find plenty to do there it's a good sized place for AK cities...... LOL

Back