Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kenetrek Heel

Ben Lamb

I got lucky on my first pair of Hardscarbbles & didn't get the dreaded heel blister. The new pair have eaten my heel up during the first 5 miles of break in. Other than moleskin/bandage, any tips for getting them loosened up & less abrasive on my delicate skin?

I'm currently employing a single wool sock, with a layer of neosporin under a butterfly bandage beneath moleskin, held in with some first aid tape over that.

It still hurts. Just gonna have to tough it out. Damned stiff boot.

not sure I can recommend much but some Leukotape or Kinesiotape around your foot will help with rubbing and they'll last a long time. Maybe put this around some moleskin to keep a bit of padding over the hotspot
I use kinesiotape as well, works good.

Sock liners or bust for this guy. I have even used sock liners and tape just to make sure I don’t get blisters.

Have you tried different lacing methods?
My Kenetrek work boots (which definitely don’t look like clown shoes) fit great. All other Kenetreks have never fit me.

Have you tried different lacing methods?
My Kenetrek work boots (which definitely don’t look like clown shoes) fit great. All other Kenetreks have never fit me.

I'm trying different ways of setting the heel in, but they're loosening. I am just wearing them in now. My first pair, as I mentioned, were perfect.

I'll try some Lowas, but it's tough to find a boot that fits well. I've got size 12 EEE's. Most boots wide option aren't wide enough (little known fact, I was the inspiration for Fred Flintstone's feet). Kenetreks fit perfectly, or at least the last pair did.

This was all back in the early days of kenetreks. First pair of kenetreks i had were a wide size 11.5. They were very comfortable until i had to walk in them. Tried for 4 months to get the heel rub to go away. Hiked miles in them, tried different socks, liners, etc. Nothing would stop it. Returned them at no cost other than shipping for a reg width 11.5. Those were much better on heel rub but it would still rear its ugly head from time to time. I powered through those for multiple years. After that tried many different brands mostly with success, then 4 years ago went with Lowa Tibets. By far the best boot i have had. No issues with fit, comfort or rub. They really fit my feet well. Regular width and no issues. Only thing is I didnt get very many years out of them. They gave up the ghost on my Wyoming whitey hunt this year. Sole gone, rubber toe liner peeled away, leather cut to hell, and they leaked like a sieve. Turned around an bought another pair. Straight out of the box perfect, just like the first pair. Just ordered a pair of kick around boots, Lowa Renegades. They showed up yesterday. Perfect fit and comfort as well.

I suffered from blisters my whole life and the best thing I've found is lekuotape and Wright socks. The Wright socks have two layers, so its like a regular sock with a liner sewn in. Best socks I've found to this point and better than a liner and outer sock IMO.

The best method I found for combating Kenetrek Heel was to get a pair of Lowas.
I know this was a bit tongue and cheek, but there is some truth in my experience.

I loved my Kenetreks for everyday use, but when I threw on the pack and headed up the mountain, heel slip. I then went to Lowa Hunters and it was night and day. Now I am mostly Scarpa and also very happy with them.

I have weak ankles and rolled them several times with Kenetreks, non-issue with Lowa or Scarpa. Lots of people have good luck with Kenetrek, but my foot doesn't work well in them.

Few wraps of gorilla tape on the water bottle came in handy often while rocking the 'treks.

I use liner socks and lace my boots very loose while climbing and then tighten the laces when descending, works good for me.

I'm currently employing a single wool sock, with a layer of neosporin under a butterfly bandage beneath moleskin, held in with some first aid tape over that.

It still hurts. Just gonna have to tough it out. Damned stiff boot.
I can get Kennetreks for free through my work, but wont consider them. Way to stiff for a hunting boot and very hard. Feels like walking on ball bearings.

I can get Kennetreks for free through my work, but wont consider them. Way to stiff for a hunting boot and very hard. Feels like walking on ball bearings.
Every time a boot thread comes up it's a brand competition. Get the ones that fit your feet. Who the Hell cares what anybody else has to say. Boots and tires are very important. mtmuley

I've been running Kenetrek ME for 3 years. I could never get them to fully not bother my heels. Rare blister but on long or steep hikes I always had hot spots. Singe sock, double sock, liner sock, duct tape, KT tape, superfeet inserts, etc. I'm in good mountain condition. In January, I took my GSP upland game hunting, for devil birds, after 10 miles my heels were done, conditioning wise I was fine. That was the final straw. Now I'm in Crispi Guide Boots so far so good. I haven't hiked in mountain terrain yet. Fingers crossed!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back