Caribou Gear Tarp

Kenetrek Heel

I had Kenetreks that were okay, and Lowa's that I liked, but heel slip developed over time in the Lowas. I think you just gotta find what fits your feet best in the terrain you hunt.

Three years in a boot that didn't fit? Not the boots fault. mtmuley
Fit just fine. Hot spots in the heels. Agree it's not the boots fault. They just didn't work out for my foot in the end. Hunted 3 years in them and the support is fantastic.

I'm trying different ways of setting the heel in, but they're loosening. I am just wearing them in now. My first pair, as I mentioned, were perfect.

I'll try some Lowas, but it's tough to find a boot that fits well. I've got size 12 EEE's. Most boots wide option aren't wide enough (little known fact, I was the inspiration for Fred Flintstone's feet). Kenetreks fit perfectly, or at least the last pair did.
Have you tried some socks that have extra padding in various areas that reduce movement? Kuiu, smart wool, etc?

0E76E30C-B471-4EA0-96EE-0DD9F46A4CE9.jpeg

FL socks. Kenetrek socks. Sock liners.

They mostly worked. The hots spots occurred predominantly with really steep terrain.
I have narrow heels. My hunting partner wore the same boots this past season, didn't really break them in, and hiked in steep mountains with no issues.
I think in the end, with my foot configuration, it wasn't a perfect match, close but not perfect.

I had Meindl boots by Cabelas, which I used for 5-6 years prior to getting the Kenetreks, never had one hot spot. When those boots wore out they no longer made that style. With that boot, didn't matter what sock I had on, they just worked for me. Kenetreks definitely had better ankle support.

I’ve had a heck of a time with heel blisters in my Kenetrek’s as well as other boots. I’ve started doing this lacing technique along with mole skin from the get go with success. It’s a little funky but does seem to lock the heel in. You might give it a try.

Thanks guys. Boots are breaking in & the heel slip is going away. The constant wearing of mile skin along with liners has been the ticket. I'll try the lacing technique as I've been altering that to find the best way to seat the foot into the boot.

kenetrek seems bound and determined to make the most uncomfortable hunting boot on the market. I think they are getting close. The best way to fix uncomfortable kenetrek boots is to throw them in the trash and buy almost any other boot made for hunters out there.

Week later & the heel slip is gone. Boots are broken in. Time to hike it out.

You also have a callus on the back of your heal which will keep them from blistering until you do something like pack a heavy pack in steep terrain. Once you don’t wear them for a while and start again the heal rub may come back.

I had this issue with Lowa Tibet’s, after breaking my feet in each year they were great, after a summer of swimming and wearing flip flops my heels would soften up and I would get blisters again.

I switched to a Meindl AK Hunter and didn’t have a hot spot one time and just got them back from being resoled after wearing them bald. They quit making the Meindl and I just switched to a Scarpa Grand Dru and it haa similar fit for me as my Meindl with very little heel movement.
I think it’s crazy people put so much effort in breaking in or living with wearing the wrong boots!! My Lowas were the first set of $400 boots I owned and I was bound to make them fit, I had come to accept that I needed to always pack Luko tape in my pack because hotspots and heal blisters were just part of hunting.

After finding a boot that actually fit I will never make that mistake again. My Scarpas and Meindl’s are both stiffer boots than my Lowas are as well!

Personally I would sell the boots at a small loss and find a boot that fits better. I bought boots off of eBay and the classifieds until I found one that fit well and then bought a new pair of those.I was out way less money that way and am very happy having boots that fit me right

The Scarpa and Meindl fit my 4E foot well. One size up in a regular with Scarpa is plenty wide enough.

Going to revive this to see if anyone has had my experience. Last year I got some Kenetrek ME 400g. I broke them in with no blister problems and wore them for three separate hunts with not blisters/hotspots. And that was with normal lacing and single pair of Kenetrek socks. Greatest boots I’ve ever had.

This spring I ordered some Uninsulated mountain extremes. Exact same size. I didn’t get much break in before turkey season. And all through turkey season I had heel lift blisters. I’ve switched to a different lacing method and started wearing a liner as I’ve been scouting the last couple weeks. And while it’s getting better I am still having some problems. They may need more break in but how did I have 0 problem with the insulated without any precautions and now I’m having problems with these when I’m doing more to prevent it. Going to try Leukotape next outing. It’s just weird though.

I have heel issues. I've tried everything. Bottom line is some people have a normal foot and boots are made for them. I'm not one of them. I'm not looking for recommendations I've tried most everything listed.

Only thing that helps me is KT tape starting on the plantar aspect of the heel all the up past the achilles. Games/set/match. My fix anyway.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back