Kenetrek Boots

MThuntr

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a pair of Kenetreks after I completely destroyed my Cabelas Pinnacles this fall. I have a few questions however.

For hunts varying from sagebrush antelope to snowy late season elk with lots of hunting in "breaks" type country; which would you get the Hardscape Hiking boots or the Extreme Mountain Boots?

Are Kenetreks true to size?

Thanks

For hunts varying from sagebrush antelope to snowy late season elk with lots of hunting in "breaks" type country; which would you get the Hardscape Hiking boots or the Extreme Mountain Boots?

I personally prefer the Mountain Extremes to my Hardscrabbles any day. That extra three inches gives you that much more support in uneven terrain, along with more waterproof protection. It also feels like the collar closes around your legs more snugly which also keeps more debris from accumulating in the collar if your not wearing gaiters. There's no doubt it comes down to personal preference, and if you haven't worn a stiff tall boot, the ME's will take a little getting used to. I didn't like it much when I first put them on, but now anytime I'm out and about I wear the ME's. The Hardscrabbles are now a work boot only for me but everyone has there own preference. Even bird hunting in Iowa over Thanksgiving on pretty calm terrain I much prefer the ME's. They are no doubt warmer in the summer but I think they are worth wearing all year.

Are Kenetreks true to size?

Although it seems like everyone has different experiences and opinions on shoe sizing, Kenetrek's boot lasts are made directly off of the American Brannock sizing structure(metal measuring device you find in shoe stores) so they shoud be very true to size. If you've ever worn a traditional American made Danner or Red Wing, the sizing should be very similar to that. When in doubt or feel stuck between 2 sizes, go 1/2 size larger. That extra toe room is vital, and the rest of the boot will take care of itself. If you can make it to Bozeman, stop in the main office and have them fit you up there or find them at one of the Sportsman's Expos during the winter and have them size you there.

Let me know if you have any other Q's

I would think the ME non insulated would be the ticket. I really like mine. I really feel the extra 3 inches is worth it. They use a real soft leather on that section and so the break in period is really short. They are very comfortable.

I have the ME insulated. They have a very stiff sole which allows you to dig your toe in on steep terrain. The high top gives protection from water and snow. I'd buy boots for the worst conditions you will encounter. If its too warm for such boots during an early prongorn season or whatever you could opt for an addition pair of cool/cheap somethings to get you by.

I'm with CabinFever on this one. I've got a pair of Lowa Tibet Pro's (hiking style boot with similar construction) and NEVER wear them. My Mountain Extremes are my go to boot in any temp or condition including 75 degree September hunts and their insulated. In mid-summer they might get uncomfortable for some, but I've never had any issues. I'm selling my Lowas because of it and they have 3 days on them.

Just an FYI in warm weather in those boots, or even cold weather, whenever you take a break or stop to glass for a while, just opening up the neck of the boot allows a majority of the water vapor to escape before it condenses, making a huge difference as far as a sweaty sloppy foot goes, and will end up keeping you warmer in real cold weather as well, although the boots do breathe much better in cold weather, true with any Wind-Tex or Gore-Tex membrane.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back