Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Keep up with the Jones's

SD_Prairie_Goat

I seem to always find myself wanting something more, something better.

For example:

My house is more than sufficient for myself, my GF, and the dog, and yet I find myself dreaming of building a house in the near future.

I have a fully functional truck, but I seem to catch myself dreaming of a newer rig. If I buy a newer truck it will be better on gas, will be better towing the camper, etc. That's what I tell myself at lease.

I have multiple shotguns, but I don't have an autoloader yet, and that could increase my success pheasant hunting.

I have a functional generator for boon-docking in the camper, but it sure would be nice to have a smaller quieter one instead of the loud SOB I have currently.

I have plenty of hunting clothes, but I always find myself looking at the sales rack wondering if the product will be better than what I currently have.

Normally I am pretty good about not buying things I really don't need, but if I want something enough I can always use logic to convince myself I have to spend the money on it.

What does everyone else do to keep from keeping up with the Jones's?

Any time I get a pay raise I put most of it to retirement, If I am living comfortably now on what income I have no need to have the extra making me want more stuff I don't need
x2. My father gave me this advice years ago, and it really has been some sound advice. I would also add on that My wife and I created budget together. One that we could both agree on, and we make sure that we fall into these parameters. It is working for us, but probably will not for everyone. We believe that allowing yourself to have personal discretionary funds in your budget helps you keep everything in focus. I find for myself I feel like work is also giving me things I would like, not just paying bill and saving for retirement which hopefully be when I am 56. It also helps me prioritize my personal spending, meaning I only have x amount of dollars this year in the budget for discrectionary purchases so do I want the autoloader or the hunting clothes.

I'm constantly astounded by the amount of penny wise pound foolish people out there, i.e. they are miserly with purchasing decent ammo, good food, and buying tags, but then turn around buy new vehicles every 2-3 years and have 2x-3x the house that they need. I have numerous friends and family member that give me a hard time for spending, IDK, $2,000 a year more than them between going out to eat, hunting trips, and buying not horrible quality crap at the grocery store... meanwhile between their car payments and mortgage they are doling out at least 20-25k more than me.

To each their own, but to answer your question the Jones are idiots and once you realize this you will find yourself having a life way richer in experiences and IMHO one that is much more fun.

I talk to my wife all the time that some of the happiest livin we ever had was when we lived in classy shack in Bonner, MT and were broke. Plenty of evidence out there showing that owning a bunch of shit will not bring happiness. I think wllm1313 is right with to each their own, but experiences seem to be a thing to focus your fortune on with a high ROI.

If it makes you feel better, I can unequivocally vouch for the fact that a semi auto shotgun (Benelli Montefeltro in my case - fits perfect, functions flawlessly) will not necessarily increase your success pheasant hunting.
It will however, give you the opportunity to miss more shots in less time..............

I have made an effort to have less stuff, including hunting stuff, in my life. I do make sure sure that that stuff is quality and that it serves it's purpose. I know that over all I spend less because of it. Last few years going into season all I've needed is arrows, broadheads and ammo.

It's hard to be thankful for the blessings you have if you are always wanting something more. I'd say since you haven't pulled the trigger yet on all of those things you are doing fine, good work!

Any time I get a pay raise I put most of it to retirement, If I am living comfortably now on what income I have no need to have the extra making me want more stuff I don't need
I tend to follow closely with that, but I also am fearful of economic situation (say job loss) and little ability to tap into that equity (retirement fund) in an emergency.

I think I should do better about pushing money either into CD's or Mutual funds so that they aren't easily accessible to blow money, but still there if I lose my job or need to cover an unexpected emergency.

CD's make a ton of sense, but they don't pay crap currently, mutual funds are probably the way to go currently.

Decided to retire @ 54 when offered the opportunity 10 yrs ago. I could have tried to recoup the major losses in 07'/09' to my retirement savings,but nothing would pay a fraction and cost more just going to work.
I bailed.
I live small and buy quality stuff as I can ,if needed.
I know no Jones's now anyway...

We're all just chimps, trying to swing from the highest branch in the tree.

Think about how much time you will use the equipment. I've got a nice 15' flat boat with a 25 hp on it. I added up my fishing and duck hunting days in that boat and it came out to something like 20 days a year. Even though I could afford it, it hardly justifies buying a 30 footer with twin 200s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back