Caribou Gear

Kauai to do's

Following Ben's shared thoughts;
Express how pleased you are with their liberal voting stance supporting criminal aliens... oops, "Undocumented Immigrants"... Then ask them what the word, "haole" means.

You'll receive a warm welcome, haole.

Kauai is my favorite of the islands (Garden Island). I worked a couple stints on the main Island.
Kayaks would be fantastic! A fishing charter, another win! Family wise (Granted this was 15 years or so), Poipu Beach and Kukui'ula are both enjoyable locations to relax on the beach and snorkel your hearts out... pretty much everywhere is great to snorkel. a bit off track for your trip though enjoyable, none the less.
A jeep rental with the tops off would be great adventure itself with kids. Pull off at different beaches as you make your way around, follow google reviews for beaches, lunch, etc locations.
Be careful of the purple urchins. They stick a foot and it's pretty ugly. Not sure if you still can though, for a thrill, buy bags of frozen peas! Snorkel and disperse the peas for swarms of colorful fish! Kids and disposable waterproof cameras!

Best to ya! Sounds enjoyable! Pics... share pics.
I totally forgot about disposable cameras for them. My parents always gave us one before a trip. But I think tech has left them behind.
1641947122056.png

Last edited:
Also, if you surf, Hanalei Bay is a great wave if you can stand the crowds. You'll be right nearby if you're staying in Princeville.
Anyone who thinks public land has become crowded should hop into a surf lineup.

Still about the most fun I can ever imagine having when you finally get a good wave or two.

Anyone who thinks public land has become crowded should hop into a surf lineup.

Still about the most fun I can ever imagine having when you finally get a good wave or two.

The Kauai locals love sharing their beach with haole‘s too.

No one has said “Kauai, for the newly wed and the nearly dead.” So that is nice.

Not sure what the best time to fish for peacock bass over there is but they have them on that Island. Not the jumbo’s like Brazil but Peacock’s…

I love Kauai. Keep in mind that in the winter the ocean current comes from the north so the surf is higher on the north side of the island. If you want calm waters you should hit up the south side of the island. The difference can be incredible. In the summer it flips and the rough water is on the south and calm on the north.

The other nice thing about Kauai is that is is smaller than the other islands so you can get to the other side of the island relatively quickly. My favorite area is Poipu and Koloa. We especially like pizza at Pizzetta in Koloa.

There is also the Koloa Fish Market in town that you can get very fresh fish to cook on your own.

There is also a run distillery called Koloa Rum which is pretty good if you like rum.

I'm not sure how visible they are around Kauai, but humpback whales winter in the Hawaiian islands. They are very visible near Maui and the whale watching boats are worth it.

And lastly, get some shave ice. It is such a worthwhile treat.

The Kauai locals love sharing their beach with haole‘s too.

No one has said “Kauai, for the newly wed and the nearly dead.” So that is nice.

Not sure what the best time to fish for peacock bass over there is but they have them on that Island. Not the jumbo’s like Brazil but Peacock’s…
Peacock Bass are only available on private waters,if I remember correctly.
Pay to fish.

One of the things that struck me was the geology of the island. I was shocked by how different it is. I know very little about geology, but I imagine it's something you could nerd out on.

Peacock Bass are only available on private waters,if I remember correctly.
Pay to fish.
Not sure about that but I think it would take a guide to be worthwhile anyway (Same on Oahu). I had a couple of locals I worked with over there that offered to take me. I just couldn’t put it together with our schedules.
I did fish the Amazon for them though so it wasn’t as high a priority.

Not sure about that but I think it would take a guide to be worthwhile anyway (Same on Oahu). I had a couple of locals I worked with over there that offered to take me. I just couldn’t put it together with our schedules.
I did fish the Amazon for them though so it wasn’t as high a priority.
I imagine after fishing the Amazon for peacock anything after would be downhill.
Bucket list for me, with fly rod.

That's a bummer. I heard the same thing about Maui but found that you could get away from 99% very easily
My wife and daughter went to the big island this Fall while I was preoccupied.
They like it better than Kauai.
I think the thing with Kauai was fewer roads concentrates people. The coast is beautiful. Surfers paradise, but a little tougher for swimming./snorkeling. There are some protected areas to sniff out.
We did the Napali coast boat tour which also offered snorkeling. I would recommend choosing a tour with larger boats. The small crafts take a beating if the ocean picks up.
Could be fun doing a pig hunt.

I imagine after fishing the Amazon for peacock anything after would be downhill.
Bucket list for me, with fly rod.
Do it! but bring plenty of tackle😂
Our go to became Musky rods with 60# spectra and fluorocarbon leader tossing wood choppers on the surface. Buttoned down drags. Boils the size of washtubs. Turn them, bust them off or loose them in the mangroves. Scores of fish over 10, many over 15. Our best on our trip was my 18 1/2 and partners 19#
There are many much larger.

Sorry for the high jack neffa. I really like Kauai but I like Waikiki too so🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Our go to became a Musky rod with 60# spectra and fluorocarbon leader tossing wood choppers on the surface. Buttoned down drags. Boils the size of washtubs. Turn them, bust them off or loose them in the mangroves. Scores of fish over 10, many over 15. Our best on our trip was my 18 1/2 and partners 19#

Sorry for the high jack neffa. I really like Kauai but I like Waikiki too so🤷🏻‍♂️
That's a worthy highjack. Peacocks in FL don't interest me, but damn if I wouldn't love to find them in the real jungle.

Our go to became a Musky rod with 60# spectra and fluorocarbon leader tossing wood choppers on the surface. Buttoned down drags. Boils the size of washtubs. Turn them, bust them off or loose them in the mangroves. Scores of fish over 10, many over 15. Our best on our trip was my 18 1/2 and partners 19#

Sounds like fun to the tenth degree.
Peacock bass, roosters, albacore on my hit list. I've been striking out on the beach in Baja for Roosters.
Sorry for hijack Neff. You will have fun and decide for yourself. Go for the adult leap at Queens Bath, just make sure to time the swell.;)

Peacock bass, roosters, albacore on my hit list. I've been striking out on the beach in Baja for Roosters.
Sorry for hijack Neff. You will have fun and decide for yourself. Go for the adult leap at Queens Bath, just make sure to time the swell.;)
we'll see. I'm so afraid of heights I can barely climb mountains, let alone jump off cliffs!

No golden dorado?

Reactions: Hem
A jeep rental with the tops off would be great adventure itself with kids. Pull off at different beaches as you make your way around, follow google reviews for beaches, lunch, etc locations.
Before you take that rental jeep off road, make sure it is actually a 4x4. I was slithering through the red mud and reached down for the transfer lever and there wasn't one!
That was 32 years ago!

Mrs and me brought that jeep back covered in red mud. Us too, racoon faced from our sunglasses.

We got a waterfall map and spent a day finding waterfalls. Some were in the middle of cane fields.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back