Kauai to do's

What about a hike to Hanakapiai Falls on the kalalua Trail? I haven't seen anyone mention it, maybe I missed it.

Locals are known for their ability to choose winter wear. Ask them which puffy jacket is the best, given their extensive experience with cold weather.

What about a hike to Hanakapiai Falls on the kalalua Trail? I haven't seen anyone mention it, maybe I missed it.
I got reservations to get in already.
I personally would rather stick with the Kalalua trail and continue on towards Kalalua valley instead of turning up to the falls, but the regs say you have to have a camping permit to continue past hanakapi'ai beach. Anyone know what the risk is of doing so? Fine? Just being asked to turn around? Are there even rangers out there?

I got reservations to get in already.
I personally would rather stick with the Kalalua trail and continue on towards Kalalua valley instead of turning up to the falls, but the regs say you have to have a camping permit to continue past hanakapi'ai beach. Anyone know what the risk is of doing so? Fine? Just being asked to turn around? Are there even rangers out there?
I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the trail. Tons of comments out there, from not a bad hike, to you better be an expert. I'm going in May to give it a go.

It's not a bad hike, once you turn off the napali coast line toward the falls, it's muddy as hell. The waterfall and end destination was okay, but nothing spectacular.
I just checked and we did not do the Hanakapiai Falls. We hiked to the next one called Hanakoa falls. We also had the overnight permit but turned around before the crawler ledge section and just did a big day hike. There were a lot of people on that trail, even past the point where you need the permit.

Last edited:
The best hike I did in Hawaii was when I took a cab from downtown Honolulu 8 or 9 miles south to a beach I heard had a good flat for bonefish, didnt think about a method of return, then walked back to Honolulu in board shorts and flip flops. This was pre smart phone and I didnt bring the flip phone because I was going fishing. Just kidding about being the best, I do not recommend.

Kalalua trail then up to Hanakapiai Falls (very busy; basically a conga line walking back in the afternoon):

20220209_094119.jpg

20220209_120518.jpg

20220209_112331.jpg

Other hike was Honopu Trail (way WAY better, only two other peeps; and the views... my god, the view...):

20220211_113312.jpg
20220211_115252.jpg

20220211_114938.jpg

20220211_115432.jpg

The rest of the time was just beachin'. I said it last time, but I have to try spear fishing next time.
20220210_100159.jpg

Kalalua trail then up to Hanakapiai Falls (very busy; basically a conga line walking back in the afternoon):

View attachment 212456

View attachment 212457

View attachment 212458

Other hike was Honopu Trail (way WAY better, only two other peeps; and the views... my god, the view...):

View attachment 212459
View attachment 212460

View attachment 212461

View attachment 212462

The rest of the time was just beachin'. I said it last time, but I have to try spear fishing next time.
View attachment 212463
Thanks for the trip report. Great pictures. Is the last one of Tunnels Beach?

Back