Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

kansasdad and kansasson Wyoming adventure observations......

kansasdad

Somewhat random observations from our Wyoming adventure

227E0A29-8704-4684-82AA-9105D14FBF33.jpeg

Covid precautions vary widely from city and state guidances. Wyoming ranchers aren’t really worried about no stinkin’ virus.

Excitement for a successful random draw can be rapidly quashed when your son whiffs on his draw. My 10 a.m. dental patient didn’t understand my mixture of euphoria and sadness, not appreciate that I was 8 minutes late to the treatment room to deliver the numbing juice.

Leftover draws can salve the wound of draw failure.

Tags (cow/calf and antlerless deer) that have traditionally gone unsold into the season sold out well before the season started this year in our zones.

I brought enough food for ourselves........and perhaps fifty of my closest Wyoming friends and family. TOO MUCH STUFF!

Smoke filled skies can make stunning vistas appear sorta pretty.

0E28CC8B-4E9F-4021-ABF1-C077BBB25B8E.jpeg

The herbivores in our area are gonna be under the gun this winter.......drought has burned the pastures and the feed quality is poor.

Father son camaraderie can be greatly challenged by a dad asking the son/navigator for land status at every fenceline as we were driving about to understand where we might find antelope on public lands. Putting the iPhone into the A/C vent phone holder made both father and son appreciate the aforementioned phone holder greatly.

Sons who are very proficient waterfowl and turkey hunters have to think about scent cones and how to play the wind, which at first surprises dads who have hunted “smelling animals” without said son.

Trying for your first big game animal requires a learning curve. Doing it with a crossbow makes the curve steeper.

Even at Interstate speeds, driving 920 miles in one day takes a long time and will numb your keester just a bit.

My son had become quite the man. He was careful to not push me too hard on the stalks, and tried (unsuccessfully) to carry more than his fair share of the full game bags.

Binocular use is a learned skill. I feel lucky to have a @Big Fin garage sale 10x binos, but kansasson’s glass is in need of serious upgrading. Learning little tricks like holding the bill of the ball cap to help stabilize the glass and resting the glass on shooting sticks helped him improve considerably.

Learning to differentiate mule deer v whitetail does is a learned skill. (His tag was good for antlerless whitetail)

I had two antelope doe tags, and filled one of them. Antelope hair smells like Fritos!!

The Gerber knives Randy Newberg EBS (Exchange Blade System) worked amazingly well. I gave Aaron one as a memento of our trip. Wicked sharp and just as strong as a folder (very different from a Havalon) with an easy blade change whenever we wanted (and did it just because we could).

275AC0A0-8D3C-425B-B0A0-B1A9BB8F78CF.jpeg

On my successful stalk, I made a tactical error.......leaving the SUV I had my shooting sticks and rifle, leaving my pack behind. I had been carrying some rounds in my pocket and had extras in my pack belt pouch. Leaving the pack behind left me with just enough rounds to take my antelope, including a couple of less than instantly lethal shots.

Sometimes you meet some cool folks while adventuring. We got to hang out with extended family, long time friends and also met salt of the earth ranchers who were uniformly friendly. I also got to meet TopGun 30-06’s long time hunting buddy, who is quite the hunter, but not so much a hunting forums guy.

Antelope is tasty meat!

We are already talking about a return to Wyoming next year. It will be a larger group next year. Son in laws, brother in law and a couple of nephews have all expressed interest in making an effort to have future Wyoming adventures.

An adventure well shared! Thanks for taking us along!

Hmmm... I've been a Havalon blade person for a good amount of time though I just may need to check those Gerber units out. If I was to search for a fault with Havalon's - its the flimsy surgical blades...

Again, great story! Look forward to next year's adventure.

A few more observations, probably not as well written but a first-hand account nonetheless!

There is always room for one more Big Hunk bar in the backpack. And it always comes in handy!

The longest possible mile is the mile between you and an antelope a few hills away.

A multi-day hunting trip is much different than a single day experience, it's okay to slow down for a few minutes!

Trust your father when it comes to scent, after all he has been smelling me my entire life and is the expert on such matters.

The likelihood of a deer appearing around the corner is proportional the distance you set your crossbow down when you stretched your leg.

An antelope you can see that is very far away is still much better than the antelope you imagine to be just around the corner and much closer to you.

It is far better to be overprepared than underprepared.

There is always room for one more thing in the car.

Nothing fosters great conversation like a week in beautiful country with an amazing dad!

It was smoking hot on the day we started to hunt. The bombers of the sageflats were seeking shade anywhere they could find it.

070.JPG

My first stalk on an antelope was on a lone buck, as we were hoping he had a harem stashed in the sage that were hidden from sight. No dice

084.JPG

Back in the day of my childhood, whitetails were never seen in this area. Not so much now, and I would say that in general, the ranchers don't like the whitetails, as though they might be smaller in size than the mulies, they tend to be bullies.

090.JPG

Speaking of mule deer, these deer completely messed up a stalk situation for me that seemed perfect.....until after a 5 minute 40 yard staredown, they (I promise, there are three deer in the photo) bolted right towards the bedded antelope herd. #stalkblockers

096.JPG

We kept an eye on the clouds all day as the cold front had arrived in force, and it was only a matter of time before the bentonite roads became impassible.

100.JPG

Scurrying back to "town" before the rain/sleet/snow started we saw a big bachelor group. This is another species that didn't exist in the region when I was a kid.

103.JPG

Mid afternoon after the front/snow hit the area

110.JPG

111.JPG

The day after the cold front swept thru, we had a high temperature differential of about 45 degrees colder the next day. The grouse took it in stride

115.JPG

Most of the deer we saw seemed young and small. 125.JPG

These young turkey poults were being shepherded by three hens. The day after these photos were taken I witnessed a golden eagle swoop in and scatter the flock as they fed across this same roadside slope. The panic calls of young birds and the assembly calls of the mother were interesting to listen to in the aftermath of the eagle attack.
151.JPG

Further up the road there was another flock of poults/hens with the younguns being considerably larger.

161.JPG

During our travels fox, badger, coyote, eagles and finally a couple of bobcat young of the year. Next to the hayfield and sagebrush fields, this electric pole offered the nearest safety as we rounded the corner to find the twins in the middle of the road.

167.JPG

Everyday we checked on this group of antelope, as they were within spitting distance of the public/private boundary. Always safe due to either wind direction, their location in regards to the fenceline, or their position in relationship to the nearby ranch headquarters that would require me to shoot towards the house and/or a combination of these factors.

173.JPG

Ranchers were rounding up cattle to take them off the summer range and head to lower elevations.

We flushed up some sage grouse from a nearby sage flat. Duly noted on On-X for a return visit to Wyoming when the sage grouse season is open.

176.JPG

I consider the mile long hike we took to get into position on some antelope we had spotted as some of the most ankle busting walks I have taken on fairly benign looking terrain. There must have been a large number of cattle in this BLM track when the last significant moisture was present. Hillside, flats and hill tops alike were honeycombed with 2-6 inch pockmarks into the bentonite soil. Made me wish I was wearing sheep style boots instead of my trail runners.

196.JPG

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back