Kansas 2016 Whitetail Rifle

Ttannahill14

Sat about 15 times or so during archery. Unable to get it done. Hot weather, bad moon, neighbor deciding to leave 100 acres of milo uncut for some odd reason.... All probably had a role.

Opening day of rifle is today. Misplaced my magazine for my new browning x-bolt I won from GoHunt.com - I ordered a new one last Wednesday eith 2 day shipping but with the holidays it still wasn't here when I left work. I was on my way to my father in laws to grab the trusty old .243 when I thought maybe I didn't need a magazine to fire my rifle? I stopped in at the farm and fired off a round just to make sure my rifle would work with no magazine and sure enough it does. Drove another ten miles or so to one of our hunting spots. Was all settled in the ground blind by 3:30.

About 4:45 does starting flooding into the cut bean field. At one point I had 17 does/fawns, 0 bucks, and a @#)(# pheasant. About an hour of them feeding and the first buck steps out. I HATE shooting the first buck that's steps out cause I always wonder what could be behind him... But I have an elk tag in my pocket and I need to use my weekends chasing elk. So about 3 minutes In the field I pulled the trigger of my x-bolt... This guy did a couple 360's and toppled over about 5 yards away...as I tried to chamber another round without a magazine I quickly dropped around in and locked the bolt forward just in case.... I watched his body breathe in and out for another 5 seconds or so before he expired. Waited ten minutes or so as the does filtered out of the field and went to check out my 2016 Kansas Buck. Double lunged with a 7mm rem mag. Didn't get far.

Trail camera pics are a few minutes before I shot him. He was right in front of my camera and you can see him in the bottom left of the frame in the pic of me checking him. Time stamps are an hour off from daylight savings.

He's a 5x3. Missing a 2 on his left side. His ear is split in half and he had like a cleft lip almost. Assuming an old battle scar. I'll tape him up this weekend hopefully.

Thanks again to GoHunt.com for the free rifle. For you new guys I won it in one of their raffles you get auto signed up for when you become an Insider. Go join GoHunt.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You rocked that one out TT! No way I'd have not taken the shot on him, knowing that Ft Riley elk awaits you. Hope you find a nice big cow close in for removal.

Congrats, getting a photo just before the shot is awesome! This has got me fired up, as I may have an opportunity to hunt Kansas next year

Awesome!! Very nice buck. I'm thinking of paying a visit to KS in the next couple of years with my dog and a deer tag in hand. Might as well burn the 6+ points that I have there that's not really needed... ;)

That Xbolt Hell's Canyon is a nice rifle. What caliber is it?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back