Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Just put in for big game combos

I also applied for a MT big game combo. Definitely not cheap, especially when paying with New Zealand dollars! If I draw it will be my 3rd visit to MT and it well be worth every penny. Might see you there wildabeast :)

FWIW I’ve been to Africa twice but not a fan of the hunting there. Awesome to just watch the wildlife. DIY western states is my preference for sure.

Personally, there is no way (as a NR)I would apply to hunt mule deer in a general season area in Mt.
Price of license is to high for opportunities provided.
If the cost of a NR license were $75 that’d be more in line with opportunities on accessible lands. This would put the R hunters getting a rebate check for the opportunities they have.
Justification of high priced license is extremely tough on immature buck mule deer.

OK, a bit of a rant here, and looking for a reality check from others in the HT community. I just put in for Big Game Combo tags plus Deer B tags for my son and I in MT this year. Close to $3k for us with points and all the other BS fees. Add to that the cost of flights for him, gas and other expenses, it’s a $5-10k endeavor. For what is likely a meat hunt. For that money, we could do a $100+ dinner once a week for a year. Is it really worth it? For me it is. But damn, it’s causing me to pause think about the logic of it. If I mentally categorize it as “vacation expense” it’s easier to swallow, but that just seems f’d up to me. Help me!
You are correct that it costs a lot, but can you quantify the time and memories made with your son? Maybe another adventure, but obviously you like hunting and no better way to make it a better experience than time spent with family and/or friends.

You are correct that it costs a lot, but can you quantify the time and memories made with your son? Maybe another adventure, but obviously you like hunting and no better way to make it a better experience than time spent with family and/or friends.
Montana deer hunting - tagging out on smiles, giggles, and memories

"Preference points increase the likelihood of obtaining a nonresident combination license."

While applying for by deer combo and choosing to add a preference point . . .

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I just mailed off physical copies of all of my proof that I qualify for the nonresident native combo. I was really hoping they would have that uploadable this year.

Or that qualifying for it previously and the documents used to do so previously would be saved in the system from last time. My birth certificate hasn’t changed…

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back