PEAX Equipment

Just put in for big game combos

Someone tells the story about their trip to Africa, posts pics. The comments are to the effect of "Cool trip, would love to go there one day"

Someone tells there story about a really tough moose hunt, or complains about the logisitcs of a fly-in caribou hunt, or mentions the cost of an elk tag and ON EVERY SINGLE THREAD there is some old dude "Well you could go to Africa twice for that price, you don't have to pack anything out and the (insert racial epithet if prior to 2015) trackers do all the cutting up for you"

So yes I agree different strokes, but the Africa guys need to chill on the hard sell to everyone on every thread, cool you went to Africa. (y) Doesn't mean we need a pic of your wildebeest on every 4th elk thread.
amen,,,,

Someone tells the story about their trip to Africa, posts pics. The comments are to the effect of "Cool trip, would love to go there one day"

Someone tells there story about a really tough moose hunt, or complains about the logisitcs of a fly-in caribou hunt, or mentions the cost of an elk tag and ON EVERY SINGLE THREAD there is some old dude "Well you could go to Africa twice for that price, you don't have to pack anything out and the (insert racial epithet if prior to 2015) trackers do all the cutting up for you"

So yes I agree different strokes, but the Africa guys need to chill on the hard sell to everyone on every thread, cool you went to Africa. (y) Doesn't mean we need a pic of your wildebeest on every 4th elk thread.
sorry about that. I also was not referring to anyone and I have not been to Africa, but if the stars all lined up correctly I would not turn a trip to Africa down. But I understand your point and apologize for my post.

I was speaking for myself:rolleyes:
I appreciated your first post, before you edited it, thank you. However, you edited post, somehow infers that I should have been able to read your mind when reading your first post, which I had quoted. Looking at your edited post above, it infers my lack of ability to "know" what you meant and for that I apologize to you as well.

My main point to the OP was to do whichever style, location and affordability of hunt that works for him, with my main point being "hunts" with his son in which the memories will last a lifetime, for the son even after dad is gone, is the most important thing, again to me. Obviously we are all a bit different. I like to hunt different locations and animals if given the opportunity, others dont, and I respect that.

Goodday

I appreciated your first post, before you edited it, thank you. However, you edited post, somehow infers that I should have been able to read your mind when reading your first post, which I had quoted. Looking at your edited post above, it infers my lack of ability to "know" what you meant and for that I apologize to you as well.
No need to apologize for anything

sorry about that. I also was not referring to anyone and I have not been to Africa, but if the stars all lined up correctly I would not turn a trip to Africa down. But I understand your point and apologize for my post.
You do not need to apologize for anything, especially not for a response to one of my extemporized rants :)

I'd go to Africa as well.

The fella who started this thread was whining about the cost of trying to hunt elk in Montana. I was pointing out that the cost is indeed fast becoming out of reach for the ordinary working man. It's only going to get worse. There are other options available now that are surprisingly affordable (if not more affordable). And the experience can be more rewarding than the uninitiated (including this writer) might think. It's a different experience for sure but it can be very rewarding and enriching. Personally, I can't imagine myself waiting through years of buying/accumulating points, investing in a bunch of gear, finally drawing a tag, driving half way across the continent, and trying to beat unpredictable elements and crowds of other hunters to "experience" a DIY hunt in country I know nothing about for an animal I know nothing about and probably won't see anyway. I was lucky enough to shoot my trophy elk in another era before ATVs when property owners were by-birth-Montanans who got their payment from seeing hunters' smiling faces. Taking home meat is nice but I want to experience on the ground hunting ... not in a crowd hunting. I had actually given up big game hunting until my brother talked me into going along with him a few years ago (never stopped hunting birds). Not thrilled with what Montana turned into so I decided to explore other options. I'm just surprised how easy and affordable it was to find other options. I'll sacrice taking home the meat for a lot more hunting experiences.

Out of state hunting for things with antlers/horns is for 1) the rich and 2) middle incomers who prioritize their spending for this specific activity.

It is not "for the masses", no matter how much people may claim that it is.
I agree! Poor people shouldn’t be able to hunt anything but squirrels and feral cats.

Wildabeast, the post above might help you accept and/or digest the cost a bit better. But, simply stated, go where you want to go, afford, and will enjoy, whether it is hunting in Argentina, Montana, Europe, Africa or drum roll please, Canada ;) And, maybe a different location each year would be fun and educational for you and your son. Later in life he will tell people, Dad and I had a 100 dollar dinner every week or Dad and I went to Montana, Alaska, Canada, New Zealand, Africa, Argentina, and hunted Elk, Doves, Caribou, Red Stag, in ( fill in the location ). I Agree with the quote in the post above. "Money spent on experiences with our kids is money well spent"
Thanks @Panda Bear. This will be our fourth year hunting MT together, and the cost really hasn’t increased much. In the past the cost didn’t bother me and I considered it money well spent. But I guess with all of the crap that went on with MT govt and FWP this year, giving them my money turns my stomach now. We have 2 points each, so hopefully the outfitter welfare czars will deem us worthy of some tags.

I think that each hunt has its own special nuances that make it good for some, and not so great for others. I would like the exotic animals and foreign landscape of Africa or NZ. But I would also enjoy a backcountry hunt in my home state for a bull elk. Just for very different reasons.

OK, a bit of a rant here, and looking for a reality check from others in the HT community. I just put in for Big Game Combo tags plus Deer B tags for my son and I in MT this year. Close to $3k for us with points and all the other BS fees. Add to that the cost of flights for him, gas and other expenses, it’s a $5-10k endeavor. For what is likely a meat hunt. For that money, we could do a $100+ dinner once a week for a year. Is it really worth it? For me it is. But damn, it’s causing me to pause think about the logic of it. If I mentally categorize it as “vacation expense” it’s easier to swallow, but that just seems f’d up to me. Help me!
No it's not for me and two buddies. We passed on that mess for the first time in about 15-20 years between us. I was sitting on a darn good chance at my bull permit as well again. Good luck guys I may be done there for those two species.

Back