Junior/Senior WY Pronghorn

nmtaxi

My son is a senior in high school this year, and the one hunt he really wanted to do before shipping out to the Marine Corp next June was a Wyoming antelope hunt. It really was a blast.

After and 11 hour drive, my son got this big mature buck just 10 minutes into the hunt. He just could not pass it up. This buck is about 14", and scores in the mid-70's, Just a heavy, mature Wyoming buck.

jrgoat1.jpg

jrgoat2.jpg

jrgoat3.jpg

After getting Jr's buck taken care of, and blowing a long stalk on another buck, we saw this buck. The minute I saw him, I knew we were done looking. Not matter how long it took, I was going to get this buck on the ground.

biggoat1.jpg

biggoat2.jpg

After a blown stak or two, and a warning shot or three, we decided to back out and let the buck settle down. An hour or two later, I was finally able to connect. This is by far my biggest buck, and first of mine to break the magical 80" mark.

srgoat1.jpg

srgoat2.jpg

srgoat3.jpg

It had been several years since I had taken out my trusty Model 70 30-06. I've had this rifle since I was 12 years old. It was time to take her out of the safe. My son made me the sling out of paracord for Father's Day. Somehow, using that rifle with that sling made it a little more special.

srgoat4.jpg

Thank you Wyoming, and even more, thank you Buzz for the information. My son and I will alway appreciate it.

Congrats to the two of you. Sounds like you had a good time and took home some great bucks as well.

Great story, Taxi. Congrats to both of you. Very happy to see the bucks you guys got.

One last trip with a young man before he becomes a Marine. May he pass on your love of the outdoors to his children. I love that you were able to use the old rifle and his handmade sling. I enjoy using various gifted items almost every time I go afield, and think warmly of the gifter. Very cool trip!!

Congrats on two very nice goats, nice pics. You know your son looks like he could already be a MARINE. Stay safe

Great bucks and to share it with your son ........... perfect trip! I'm going nuts trying to get onion harvest done so I can head to Wyoming with two of my sons for a first ever antelope hunt. Great photos, but now you've got me even more stir crazy.

Those are great bucks. I did the same with my kid except that he went to the army. That boy is one heck of a braider. He will have access to lots of cord to make stuff with when he is in the Corps.

Semper Fi, Jr. Keep your head down.

A trip full of memories! Congrats to both of you on the hunt and a special congrats to you for raising him right. Tell him thanks in advance for me, please.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back