PEAX Equipment

Judging Moose (Lower 48)

Moosie

Grand poopa
OK... We all know the Rules of Judgeing a AK moose. All the Info is on the AK Website. The 50" Rule is now a Standard in AK. The have awsome ways to determine it. The disttance between the Eye to eye is 10" average on a Moose. If you have 2 EYE lengths on each side of the head the Moose is 50" wide.

The Lower 48 Moose is just as Easy to judge.

The average Eye to Eye on an Idaho Moose is 8", not 10" like on a AK Moose :

moose8in.sized.jpg

Rule of Thumb for Moose goes as follows. Lower 48 a 40" bull is a God bull, in Cannada, a 50" bull is a good bull and in AK a 60" bull is a good bull. Now, Grant it a 40" lower 48 Bull doesn't mean it's a GREAT bull. I killed this bull below and it's 39 1/8 (Yes, officially 1/8 so I added it SMILE*)

moose39.sized.jpg

moose39a.sized.jpgp

If you look at the Sides, It's actually a Weak bull. PAlms are narrow and it's not big by any means.. Lemme tell you it was Fun packing out though !!!!

frontarrow.jpg

Here is another bull that is 42", less the 3" bigger then the first bull. Thats only 1.5" wider on each side. Nothing really if you think of 1.5" but look at the Palm difference.

moose42a.sized.jpg

moose42.sized.jpg

Thats a Good bull in anyones book for a lower 48 bull.

I think a good bull is one with Nice palms and Good width in them too. I like the Browtines and if they are a drop Browtine it gives it all that much more character.

Anyome with any tips on judging a Lower 48 Bull on the HOOF ?

Heres a lower 48 bull.

I'm crappy at estimating moose...but I estimate this bull would be a good one to take.

moose1.JPG

This same bull, two years later was probably about 53-54 inches wide and would have scored well into B&C.

It was big enough that the owner of the land that it was on bought the Governors permit a couple years in a row...but as far as I know never managed to connect.

I'm not sure of a good way to judge them. I'd say your technique for judging width is pretty good, if you have some time to watch him. Other important things: wide palms and lots of points.

This is a pretty good bull, but great? I don't know. I would have shot him, because I really liked the double forked droppers behind the brow tines. He had a lot of character. And he looked really big when I bumped into him at about 15 yards in the willows! :eek:

CO - Aug. 2003

Moose1.sized.jpg

I don't doubt you, but I was curious.
WHAT.. DO I need to go "PAWS" on you ? ;)

To be Honest (And I usually am untill proven otherwise) I haven't measured many. (That means only 2), But the theory is there. + or - and I'd bet money on it. It's just like the 10" eye-eye rule in AK. It's not 100% always 10" but dang close. It provides a good starting point and Easy math.

With that, I'd almost bet that a Canada moose's head is 9" ;) , It all adds up, 8x2 and 8x2 with a 8" head = 40" Don;t argue, Just go with the flow.

seriously though, I'd like some FIELD reports back this year. There has been several people ask about Judging Lower 48 Moose and hopefully some will provide us later with some fresh dimensions and Pictures.....

Ovis, one question. Even if it was a mounted moose, wouldn't the distance between the antlers be the same, unless the skull plate was split? I don't taxidermists generally split the skull plate to mount them, do they? :confused:

Moosie, field reports are only possible if someone is lucky enough to draw a tag. Has anyone here drawn?

Oak

Here is one...
elkgrin.gif

Moosie

One question, is that tape on a mounted moose or on a carcass? The reason I ask is there could be some room for error on that measurement if the form is a "generic" form per say. Have you measured more than one Shiras? Were they both about 8"? I don't doubt you, but I was curious.

Oak... I've gotten 5 Emails from guys that are Hunting Idaho Moose I'm Emailing them Today to Letthem know of this link. Hopefully they will share with us.

Also, on Ovis's Behalf, I think he meant the EYE socket to Ey Socket which could be different on a Form then the Real deal. You only mount the Antlers and small portion of the skull plate.

That Being said, If my Moose was 10" across and They mounted it on an 8" form... I think I'd notice

Ah, I think that might be what Ovis was talking about, after re-reading his post. I didn't read your first post or his well enough. I mainly looked at the pictures.
Reading is hard. :rolleyes:

Oak

Some guys have all the luck.
Steve and our son both drew on moose (the first time they put in.)
Both will be bow hunting.
Needless to say we have been talking moose & watching moose videos ALOT. :cool: :cool:

Taxidermists can do lots of things to forms; shape, bend, ply, burn, melt, sand...and even add puddy to build up the eyes so the socket on the form and the socket on the skull plate make a nicer seam. ;)

I'm sure you're on to something Moosie, but I thought I would ask.

I have a friend (of the G.I. type) that was stationed in AK and seperated from the military. He left AK and doing so without killing a moose (I don't think he even went hunting for them). Anyhow, he wanted a nice set of moose bones to hang on the wall, so he purchased some. The law in AK states the skull has to be split in order to sell them (unless they are sheds). Anyhow, the guy made a Bondo skull plate that musta been 6" too big. It was quite funny to look at, but at least he was happy with the end result.

Well Moosie...It sounds good but......You are full of.... LOL You need to take a trip to the library and read up on your moose. There are actually three or 5 subspecies of Moose in the United States(depends on who you talk to). Two of the sub species are in the Lower 48. THe Shiras are found in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. The Eastern are found in New England. The Shiras is the smallest of the Sub species while the eastern is midrange. It is very common to see Moose with spreads over 50". Take a look at this link for pictures of some of the moose from the last two years taken in New Hampshire: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_moose.htm You will even see one with a 60" spread in the 2003 season pictures. Do the research Moosie! LOL I'm kind of disapointed seeing how your nickname is moosie!

LOL. YAH, You can CALL BS on me and I'm OK with it. But you need to RE-READ what I wrote.

Can I call BS on some stuff you wrote ? I think if you did some more reading you'd find out the Shiras is in more then the 3 states you listed.

I did Make a Typo in a 40" bull is a "GOOD" bull, I wrote "God" Bull. I'll admit a 40" bull in Idaho isn't a "God" bull, But it IS a "Good" bull if it has some Mass to it.

What I'm providing is a Rule of thumb, Not all AK bulls have Exactly a 10" nogin either, Mine was 10 1/4", But for field Judging 10" is the Way to go.

I can Talk about what a Good Elk is, but that would be relivent too, a 300" Bull Elk is a GOOD elk, It doesn't mean there arean'y 350" elk+, but a 300" Elk is a good mature elk. Just like a 40"+ Lower 48, 50"+ Canada, and 60"+ AK Moose. But most people (And I'd lay Big money on it) don't know what a HONEST 350" bull is let alone a 300" one......

We could talk all day About what a Moose is "Herbivore" and how much it eats all day (about 10k Calories) and the 340 day Gestation period they go through. They Don't Migrate but can cover a 20 Mi. home area (Unless looking for the Cow moose and then range up to 50 miles.. (But heck, I would do twice that for a woman back in the day
). We could talk about the Lack of teeth in the Upper Jaw or that the Moose in Europe is given the word "ELK" (And still actually in the "deer" family) and we as Americans call the Wapiti an ELK. (I lived in Switzerland for 2 years so I found this out early
)

At any rate, We could talk exact details about anything if anyone has a Question, I can Do research if I don't know it... But we're talking basic Hunting here. For the
elkgrin.gif

And although there is always bigger moose like any other critters, and scientific names for all the subspiecies, I'm sticking with the 40", 50", 60" rule of thumb. (Althuogh thanx for the info !!!)

moosie thanks for the reply from my e-mail this thread helped. i have an idaho tag this year and will be trying to get one with my bow, so i will report back.anybody have any moose calling tips?

Elkhntr, First of, Welcome aboard. I head to Rexburg every now and then for work. Tell me what Unit you drew in, I hunted PAlisades Unit 66 back in 98. My buddy Hunted it last year. Here is a 42" Moose He took :

2_G.sized.jpg

He called me on Sunday morning And I was up there real quick (5 hour drive) to help pack it out. I'm on the Right :

1_G_001.sized.jpg

Your Neck of the woods is good for calling Moose. I found the rut (When I went and the year prior when my dad went) Around Oct 5th. We had a snow day Oct. 2nd and the Moose were out in Full force talking up a storm.

I just bought a Cheap over the counter COW call and used it to Grunt I think it sounded like "Muuuuuuu RAHHhhh" It was Easy to Use and When the Bulls gave a Grunt and you replied they came a running. I actually think it's easierthe nBugleing Elk but like any critter, It all depends on the "MOOD" ;)

(PS, you need a HuntTalk.com HAT and take a Picture with all the Details about your Hunt. Drop me an Email sometime and We'll talk !!!!)

nice pics, i drew unit 76-3.Im hoping to do some scouting this weekend so maybee i can get some pics to post.im sure now that i finally have a tag the moose will be able to smell it and ill have a hard time finding em.

Let's just Say my Moose Started out at 57 3/4" and Ended up 58 1/2 inches..... Not that I meant to do it but I screwed up the Bondo Job. When I have it officially mounted I'll have the Taxidermist set it at 57 3/4" exactly.

Now I'm just curious MD4me, What unit did Santa Draw in ? And tell that lucky SOB good luck and Congrats from me 'k !!!! What Movies are y'all watching and what is considered a "GOOD BULL" acording to him ? I've seen his 3D trophies, a Moose is easier to get with a Bow then a ED target ;)

Anyone else with some Moose on the Hoof or dead Moose pictures to share ?

Moosie, Steve & Bill drew 69-2.
Quite a few other archers have hunted that unit and around it and have been super helpful.
I dont even remember all the video's we have here to watch.
Speaking of video's ------we have one of your's.

If Steve ever gets any free time I'll try to get him to add his view on how he is planning to judge moose in the field.
I know he has been doing research,reading,talking to alot of people.
This week-end is the last 3-D shoot for us ,(going to Stanley)then we will be scouting & getting ready for hunting.

elkhunter, Good Unit. KEep us posted !!!

MD4ME 69 EH ? Don't know were it is but sounds like a Fun eeerrrrr Good unit ;) You guys do HAve one of mine. Someday You need to Invite Wylee and Me over for Pizza Again so I can Borrow it back. I'm guessing Steve isn't too picky ? As hard as moose are to kill ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back