JJHACK?????????????

Mini Moose

JJ oscar told me that you might be able to help me with ym question so i am comeing to you. I was wondering what the difference is between a "Greater" kudu and a "lesser" kudu? Is it region or just size of the animal??

Mini Moose
The lesser Kudu is much smaller than the Greater Kudu, and as far as I know it's range is limited to East and maybe central Africa. The Greater Kudu is the one we all know and is distributed throughout Africa.
Hope this helps.

Mini Moose
Here is some more info that I managed to find.

Lesser Kudu are almost entirely confined to East Africa (Ethiopia, Somalia through to Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda). Weight of a bull is approx. 100kgs (220lbs) – similar to Nyala - and min. entry to Rowland Ward is 27 inches. Horns are very similar to those of the Greater Kudu, but much smaller. In colour it looks something like a cross between a Kudu and a Nyala – having the markings of the Nyala (including the orange/brown ‘socks’) with out the shaggy coat, but the horns and general body shape of the Kudu – actually very good looking.

While looking up these facts I was surprised to find that the Greater Kudu is not as widely spread through Africa as I thought. They really only occur in southern Africa (south of the equator), East Africa and a remote population in around Chad in West/central Africa, for the rest of Africa they are absent.
There are three recognised sub species – Southern, East African and Western - Minimum for entry to RW is 53 7/8” (Southern), 52” (Eastern) and 42 7/8” (Western). Bulls weight is about 250-280kgs (550-615lbs), but have been recorded up to 300+kgs.
Maybe this is more than you wanted, but there you are. Hope it helps.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back