Pick a state to become a resident ...

Let's play the hypothetical of being able to work remote and live in any Western state (lower 48) to become a resident in 2024 and beyond.
Would be considering my own hunting as well as opportunities for younger children as they grow up.

Which state would you pick and why?

To clarify, no, I'm not in this situation currently but the wife and I were kicking ideas around on different states we could potentially see ourselves living at in the future.
I told her whichever would be the best for a resident hunter in that state and she wanted to know where that might be.
I'm a non-resident anywhere I apply and have never seen things from the resident side of the equation, so I figured I would throw the question out to get some thoughts.
Appreciate any responses in advance!
I don’t know man, women are in short out west, good chance she’ll leave you for a bait salesman. Better stay where you are, well, if your wife’s good looking anyway.

Probably Utah, but its not just the blue voters you should consider, its the large metropolis urban areas that churn them out. Wyoming doesnt have any, Utah has SLC which you can gradually watch slip further and further away year after year. Once SLC goes the way of large cities in California, the rest of Utah will be held hostage by the SLC basin same as everything north of Sacramento is held hostage by the bay area in Cali

South Dakota. Fishing of many species from trout to walleyes and pike to bass and panfish. Occasional antelope tags. Both species of deer regularly, Rare elk tags that are for R only. NR can't even apply. R only get to archery hunt deer in Sept on public land, NR can't till Oct. 1. Lots of bird hunting species and goofy laws that favor R for those as well. Their NR laws piss me off, but I still hope to move there in retirement. Also, no state income tax and the hottest governor in the country (probably).

My first choice is the driftless region in North east Iowa but I'm giving some serious consideration to the black hills area for retirement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back